Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Keeping the dustbin men onside

Keeping the dustbin men onside

Old Aug 30th 2018, 7:16 pm
Banned

Pilis Nemzeti Park Fella is on a distinguished road
Default Keeping the dustbin men onside

Our dustbin men go by the letter of the dustbin contract, ie your dustbin lid should fit down (no big bags pushing it up) or they might give it a miss - and they won't pick up extra bags unless you go out when they arrive and help them heave the extra sacks in yourself, when they are friendly and let you chuck in what you like.

They are not at all anal, in that you can put in glass bottles, plastic bottles, anything recyclable etc or green waste and they'll still take it away. Shame if you do that, though, as once a month the recycling guys come by and take care of that for free (whereas in our village we have to pay for the dustbin men).

What I do when we have an excess of dustbin bags is hand out the cold beers (in a plastic bag to keep it quiet), it only takes 3 for all the team. At 50p a tinny I make that £1.50. Worked fine today, we had to be elsewhere and had had a big clear out, so my wife wrote a note & stuck it to the top of the bin: 'sorry about all the rubbish, thanks for taking it away, there are some beers in the bag in the bushes to the right of the front gate'.

Good as gold
Old Sep 1st 2018, 1:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Keeping the dustbin men onside

I have no problem whatsoever with our dustmen taking both my dustbin and a 100 litre plastic bag of rubbish, usually polystyrene trays and a few empty dog/cat food tins and sometimes collapsed cardboard boxes for which I have no use.

Maybe we're just lucky where I live because the dustmen seem a nice bunch of fellows, who always wave if they see you as they're passing!
Old Sep 1st 2018, 2:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Here in Zala county plastic bags are not picked up - but following the German model we have "yellow bags" for plastic and other recycables (paper and glass go into containers) which are picked up (for free!) once a moth. And you get the same no of new empty bags!
Most people follow this system (saw it today - every first Saturday of the month they come around) but some people still put everything into the garbage can, even green stuff and dead animals ...
Our garbage can gets full every three or four weeks ...
Old Sep 2nd 2018, 7:52 am
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

We have no problem with the bin men taking our overflowing bin and any extra bags that we leave out from time to time.
We also have a yellow 120 litre recycling bin that is collected every two weeks but there is never enough room in there for all the recyclables as it can be used for aluminium, tin cans, paper, cardboard and glass There used to be recycling bins in the village but they were never emptied often enough and were removed a couple of years ago so now, when we have excess I have to take it into Eger.