Reload this Page >

Just dehydrated?

Just dehydrated?

Old Jan 9th 2023, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

Itt Magyarorszag is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Just dehydrated?

Hi folks,

I was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to give advice on the below.

Basically, the neighbours have the same small lawn, which they astroturfed about a year ago. Since then, our trees have been losing their colour gradually and I am wondering whether this is what I suspect (they are dehydrated) or they need feeding. So perhaps each one just needs a few buckets of water to the roots?

Any advice or information is much appreciated.

Thank you very much,

IM.
Old Jan 9th 2023, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just dehydrated?

Originally Posted by Itt Magyarorszag
Hi folks,

I was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to give advice on the below.

Basically, the neighbours have the same small lawn, which they astroturfed about a year ago. Since then, our trees have been losing their colour gradually and I am wondering whether this is what I suspect (they are dehydrated) or they need feeding. So perhaps each one just needs a few buckets of water to the roots?

Any advice or information is much appreciated.

Thank you very much,

IM.
I had three very similar trees die last year, due to the dry hot summer. It might be too late to save them, but you could try by giving them a regular watering.
Old Jan 9th 2023, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Astroturf (and other artificial grass) is water permeable so I would be very surprised if the neighbours artificial grass prevented the small amount of rain we had last year reaching the trees.
However often when astroturf is put down often weedkiller is applied first. If this was over zealously applied then this could affect the trees but you would have a hard time proving it.
But to me it looks like they dried out last summer. I suspect that it is too late to save them. If you have had the amount of rain we have had recently then no point in watering now.
I would cut out the dead branches leaving anything that looks like it has hope or greenery and see what happens in the spring. And water in dry periods.
If you replace them do so with a drought tolerant variety.
Old Jan 9th 2023, 4:50 pm
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

My money is on the application of Round Up or similar weed killer. I cannot tell if these are Leyland Cypress or not but many of the evergreen type tree varieties have mostly shallow roots that are close to the surface. I doubt water will help them at this point
Old Jan 13th 2023, 8:41 am
Just Joined

Itt Magyarorszag is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all. I'm going to give them a thorough watering, and see what happens. But for now I am banking on what Peter said, that they are passed it.

Thanks again.
Old Jan 13th 2023, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

What kind of trees are they?
To me they look like "Thuja" (Arborvitae)which often are poisoned by a sickness and then have to be destroyed, sorry.
https://www.britannica.com/plant/arborvitae
Old Jan 13th 2023, 2:28 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Leyland Cyprus and Arbor Vitae are already too far gone when they look like that. Even if you can save what remains of the living part of the tree, they are incapable of regrowing green shoots, brown branches remain brown forever. So I wouldn't spend any effort in trying to save them - cut them down, grub out the roots, and plant replacements. The sooner you do it, the sooner you'll have your new hedge.