Reload this Page >

Jobs in Budapest

Jobs in Budapest

Old May 18th 2014, 2:00 am
Just Joined

tiney4000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Jobs in Budapest

Hello,

I have alomost completed my TEFL certificate and will finish my MA degree in September in Creative and Critical writing.

I work in University admin, in a middle level role having been recently promoted. I also have a driving licence.

After Christmas, when I have saved up some money, gained some good work experience from my new role and finished my outstanding qualifications, I will be looking for jobs in Budapest.

I just wondered if it is possible for me to find work before moving to Budapest and what sort of jobs there are for English speakers. I know the obvious route is teaching English but I am unsure about teaching still at the moment. I used to teach as an unqualified school teacher on my PGCE in England, but I was put in a difficult school and didn't complete the course.

I just wondered what everyone else's working experinces were and how hard it was for you all to find work in Hungary. Also are there any recommended job websites?
Old May 18th 2014, 3:44 am
Forum Regular

Lady Zelda is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Jobs in Budapest

Hi, go to Reed.co.uk...Reed Global or type in Google Graduate jobs in Budapest. There are lots of expats, who may be able to advise you on that, as I assume some younger people moved here for better job opportunities. Budapest has potential, but you have to look around very carefully.

There is a different attitude towards employing people here. Most vacancies are filled up by relatives and through recommendation from friends and acquaintances. Larger companies are better though, as they look for educated and well qualified people.

I am not in the position to help as I am retired here, but in the early 90s I moved to Hungary for 4 years and used to work for a large French company, who took over a large Hungarian company. The French owner used to be very very unprofessional with us employees, not to mention how racist he was towards the Roma minorities, some of who were fantastic skilled and hard working people. I absolutely loathed him for his behaviour. Luckily we did not have much to do with him, but he made everybody's life unpleasant on the rare occasions when he turned up unexpectedly from France. Luckily I did not work directly for him, as I was employed as an Executive Assistant to the Business Director and as an Interpreter in 4 languages. The reason I mentioned this is to prepare you in the event you may end up working for an old fashioned bossy type manager. However, life is beautiful here and with a little luck you may be working for a wonderful company with a wonderful team and an understanding and nice boss.

You have to be very determined to start in a new country. I would advice you to make your search very carefully, and do not rush into anything until you are certain about your future dreams. And the best advice would be to start learning the language in advance, at least some basics to make yourself understood. Most people in Hungary speak German, but there are plenty of younger people, who all speak some English. It is compulsory at every university in Hungary for the students to speak a foreign language at advanced or medium level. I assume more and more people start using the English. Budapest is a city where you will meet many good English speakers within larger companies.

There are many opportunities. You just have to find the one that is right for you. Grab it with both hands!

Good luck in your hunt.
X LZ
Old May 19th 2014, 12:57 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the info, hearing other people's xperiences helps. My fiance's family live there, although niether of them work in an office to reccomend me. But I have been to the city and stayed in their flat and love it and as my partner id Hungarian I think I should be able to settle in easier than anyone going over alone.

I will definately look into using REED, thank you!
Old May 20th 2014, 9:07 pm
Just Joined

soontobe13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Jobs in Budapest

Hi,

I was in the same situation as you in September last year. I found my job actually through the expat Facebook pages, but I would also recommend profession.hu and cvonline.hu. I would also recommend checking out the university websites as I have seen them advertising for administrative roles in the past so you maybe able to do something similar to what you are now.

There are loads for jobs for English speakers, you will find one pretty quickly especially with a degree!

Best of luck.
Samantha
Old May 21st 2014, 3:11 am
Just Joined

Thanks Samantha! Those webiste are very handy.

Yes, I looked at the university websites once before and I hoped between those and my TEFL I would find something! I will hopefully start applying after September. Not too long away now!