British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Hungary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/)
-   -   Job for English man in Hungary? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/job-english-man-hungary-836495/)

anicarlteddy Jun 14th 2014 7:20 pm

Job for English man in Hungary?

Our last thread was closed so here is the original message with some additional information.

Hi all,

We are looking to move to Hungary and currently looking for a job for hubby in the Western part of the country. Does anyone have any suggestions of where to look? For English speaking only.

Thank you.

Thank you everyone who replied to the last thread. Hubby has many years experience in supply chain and logistics, and some recent experience in procurement. Any suggestions of businesses that would be looking for English speaking workers please let us know.

He has a computer science A Level from school but never worked in I.T directly. Experienced in SAP.

Thank you

Rural Hungary Jun 14th 2014 7:26 pm

Re: Job for English man in Hungary?

Hi again, I know a couple of younger couples round Balaton area who work in IT though they work at home for a UK company.
I would think Budapest a better option in Hungary or as suggested on the other thread, commuting to Austria but living this side of the border where property and the cost of living is less expensive.

cathyg Jun 14th 2014 7:32 pm

You could have a look on this website
English állás, munka, állásajánlatok - Profession.hu

I put in English where it says Mit: and than click kereses. This will bring up all the adverts that have been put on the website in English obviously aimed at English speakers. You could try contacting some of the agencies or big multi nationals advertising. In most cases they usually require at least two languages so I am not sure how you will get on but it is worth asking some questions.
The reason I asked about IT is that there is a big IBM office in Szekesfehervar and on their website they advertise some jobs in English however I think it would be at a higher level.
As Rural has said you probably stand a better chance in Budapest.
Good luck.

anicarlteddy Jun 14th 2014 7:33 pm

Don't really fancy Budapest as my parents live in the Balaton area, and big cities don't really appeal. Love the country side.

Any suggestions of Austrian companies?

Rural Hungary Jun 14th 2014 7:50 pm

Some of these might be useful:

Vienna or jobs nationwide

cathyg Jun 14th 2014 7:59 pm

And these:

Austria Economy : Biggest Companies or Austria

OMV Group

anicarlteddy Jun 14th 2014 9:13 pm

Thanks, looking through the sites. Please keep the suggestions coming. We would like to move this year. :-)

anicarlteddy Jun 14th 2014 9:15 pm

Just intrigued. What makes British people choose Hungary? Would love to hear stories!

Lady Zelda Jun 14th 2014 10:38 pm

Anica,

British people started moving to Hungary because of its good weather, long hot summers and the cost of living is cheaper. The infrastructure is reasonably good. The houses are detached with good size gardens and are much cheaper than in the UK. Also it is easier to travel across Europe for its good location in the centre of Europe. The food is excellent. Restaurants are cheap, the bills are cheaper, too.

If you have to work here, the average salary is probably about the third of what you would get in the UK. In our case is different as we have a decent UK pension, so we can afford to live here very comfortably.

We moved here last April, as our grandchildren were born in Hungary, and we would like to spend more time with them. We bought a house near Gyor because my daughter and her partner work in Gyor. They used to live in Ajka, near Veszprem, but they moved here because there are more opportunities for them and they love this area very much. Gyor is quite laid back, with lots of festivals and concerts, etc.

We have got a weekend cottage in Badacsony, near the Lake Balaton, but we do not like going down there very often as for the tens of mosquitos around the lake. Here we have the occasional ones, but not so many.

You have to do your research before you decide where to buy. You have to be careful, as certain areas are beautiful but there are no work opportunities.

In addition, check the transport system if you decide to settle down in a village, as that is important if you do not drive for example, to be able to reach the town, or just simply if you would like to have a drink or a dinner without having to bother about driving. The Hungarian law prohibits any drinking before driving.

Good luck with your hunting!
Regards
LZ

Rural Hungary Jun 14th 2014 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by anicarlteddy (Post 11302161)
Just intrigued. What makes British people choose Hungary? Would love to hear stories!

Injury time at the moment but will post in detail later. Would love to hear your story. Are your parents Hungarian or expat?

FenTiger Jun 15th 2014 9:13 am

My response to Why Hungary?
I'm married to a Hungarian and currently living in UK although we visit Hungary every year, sometimes twice. I'm planning to retire to Hungary, unfortunately, got another five and half years to go!

Reason for choosing Hungary is the lifestyle, weather and lower cost of living.

anicarlteddy Jun 15th 2014 9:21 am

Wonderful to hear all this! I am hungarian married to a brit :-) we now have a six month old baby and it hasn't been the easiest sailing without my mum around. I've been asking Carl to give Hungary a chance for years and I it has paid off :-) he is willing to give it a go. Just need to find him a job. My parents live on the south shore of Lake Balaton in Fonyód but there's no work there. We are looking to move within sort of two hours ' drive.
I do like living in England, I made many many friends, got used to the weather even but there's something missing. My heart is not here.
Please let us know if you come across ideas, advice, Web pages etc that could help to make our dream come through.

Thank you

klarika Jun 15th 2014 10:06 am

Hi anicarlteddy, We came to Hungary 3 and half years ago now from Spain where we lived over 20 years. Basically our reason for coming was purely cost of properties, cost of living.
As Spain has become so expensive. Both my parents are Hungarian, they went to the UK in 1956, which is where I was born. I speak Hungarian. We live in Lake Balaton and love where we are. We have restaurants open in our village all year round and more in the summer.
We can walk to the lake from our house which is about 15 minutes. To be honest we don't find any more mosquito's here than we did in Spain.
Just a thought we have a Brits monthly gathering in Lake Balaton. Where a bunch of expats meet up it is pretty informal and good fun. You may like to join us when ever you are here next. <adjusted as wrong link>
---- web page www.balatonbritions.com

Anyway don't hesitate to ask if you need any more information.
Happy Hunting
Klarika

John Gilbert Jun 16th 2014 9:35 am

There is a website for them BalatonBrits - Welcome they also have a facebook page.Why not take a look.

Balatonbritons - THE BALATON BRITONS CLUB is the correct linkI think

Rural Hungary Jun 16th 2014 9:41 am

There was an updated link John but still having forum blips after the upgrade and it must have been deleted with the duplicate posts that are occasionally appear.