Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

It's been a while! But we finally made it :) Siofok here we are!

It's been a while! But we finally made it :) Siofok here we are!

Old Aug 19th 2019, 10:30 am
Banned

mandst1499 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default It's been a while! But we finally made it :) Siofok here we are!

Hello again, I posted a couple of years ago while we were searching for property. Well in April we signed on the dotted line and 8 weeks ago we moved here permanently. So starting to settle in now, getting to grips with the language (slowly) and coming to terms with the snail pace that everything seems to move at haha

We live in Balatonkilliti, minutes away from Siofok. Are there any locals live nearby? We can find just about everything we need so far, just a little short on the English speaking friends front

Please get in touch if you live in the vicinity. Be nice to hear an English voice x
Old Aug 19th 2019, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's been a while! But we finally made it :) Siofok here we are!

Originally Posted by mandst1499
Hello again, I posted a couple of years ago while we were searching for property. Well in April we signed on the dotted line and 8 weeks ago we moved here permanently. So starting to settle in now, getting to grips with the language (slowly) and coming to terms with the snail pace that everything seems to move at haha

We live in Balatonkilliti, minutes away from Siofok. Are there any locals live nearby? We can find just about everything we need so far, just a little short on the English speaking friends front

Please get in touch if you live in the vicinity. Be nice to hear an English voice x
Welcome to the slow life!

There are expats on your side of the Balaton (We are on the north side) There is a group called BalatonBrits (google it) who have meetings on your side so worth getting in touch if you haven't done so yet

Have you got your residency sorted? It is important to do or start this and change your driving licence (or at least start the process) to a Hungarian one before the 31st October
Old Aug 19th 2019, 12:23 pm
Banned

Thanks Peter, yes I've made contact with BalatonBrits, their meetings and activities are quite a distance away so we made one, but can't make regular events.

​We have found a couple of people who live about 20 minutes away, but aware that not everyone is on the Brits site, and I'm sure there are more expats.. or even just English speaking locals around whom we can make contact with.

Yes residency permits and address cards all in hand etc. We've sorted the basics 😊 van registration/ change over taking place soon. We're settling in nicely. Next year need to get tax etc set up for making some money from our land out here, already been given a good contact to sort out that minefield!

So far so good 🤗
M

Last edited by mandst1499; Aug 19th 2019 at 1:41 pm.
Old Aug 19th 2019, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Driving licence is important to sort before October 31, (you didn't mention it) otherwise it could mean taking a driving test!!!

Making money from your land? Does this mean agriculture of some sort? In which case you would probably need to become registered as a small farmer (good tax benefits) and/or small producer - so that you can sell processed products
Old Aug 19th 2019, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mandst1499

Hello,
Welcome to Lake Balaton :-)
We are about 25k away from you in Polgárdi.
Thee are other Brit expats around your area in Deg, Enying, Lepseny etc so you are not alone :-)
If you want to pm me, happy to arrange a time to meet.
Best,
El
Old Aug 26th 2019, 10:07 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
Driving licence is important to sort before October 31, (you didn't mention it) otherwise it could mean taking a driving test!!!

Making money from your land? Does this mean agriculture of some sort? In which case you would probably need to become registered as a small farmer (good tax benefits) and/or small producer - so that you can sell processed products

We bought a lavender farm Peter, so hope to sell the lavender next year, also have all-sorts of fruits and nuts, so thinking about doing a kind of " come and pick your own" type of affair. Will have to look into the tax implications nearer the time, thanks for the heads up re benefits.

Originally Posted by Pollypaprika
Hello,
Welcome to Lake Balaton :-)
We are about 25k away from you in Polgárdi.
Thee are other Brit expats around your area in Deg, Enying, Lepseny etc so you are not alone :-)
If you want to pm me, happy to arrange a time to meet.
Best,
El
​​​​​​​Pollypaprika, thank you, I shall inbox you now ☺️

Last edited by mandst1499; Aug 26th 2019 at 10:11 am.
Old Aug 26th 2019, 5:59 pm
Banned

Magmax has a reputation beyond reputeMagmax has a reputation beyond reputeMagmax has a reputation beyond reputeMagmax has a reputation beyond reputeMagmax has a reputation beyond reputeMagmax has a reputation beyond reputeMagmax has a reputation beyond reputeMagmax has a reputation beyond reputeMagmax has a reputation beyond reputeMagmax has a reputation beyond reputeMagmax has a reputation beyond repute

Hello i an not in Hungary but i am In Croatia, but i was forum friend vith some people from Hungary.