Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Introduction by request

Introduction by request

Old Aug 2nd 2014, 5:40 am
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute
Default Introduction by request

Me and the wife are soon to retire and have decided we need a slower pace of life. We want to spoil the grand kids and our dogs. We are looking south of the lake for property's that have the look of a traditional Hungarian style houses. We are driving over for a look in late August. The photographs of many parts of rural Hungary are reminiscent of the UK of my youth back in the early 60's. We both love antiques, auctions, car boot sales and traveling. Hopefully their are other Jack Russell owners in Hungary.
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 7:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Introduction by request

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever
Hopefully their are other Jack Russell owners in Hungary.
Yes, me I have a 10 year old girl, she is a Parson. I don't know if you have had a chance to look at other dog related threads on this forum...but personally I am appalled at the way some dogs are treated in Hungary - especially in rural areas. It is one of those things that had I known about before, I most probably would not have moved here. But I digress. Jacks are wonderful
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I have made myself unpopular with the other villagers for taking Charlie, my elderly Basset Hound for walks. I think their main objection is that all the other dogs tend to start barking when they see Charlie. They are kept as guard dogs rather than pets, so they are left on their own all the time, often chained up. Charlie is friendly and normally wags his tail when he sees other dogs but has given up trying to make friends with the other dogs in my village.
I now also have a house just over the border into Croatia and will be selling up in Hungary eventually. I can't speak for Croatia as a whole but in my small village there the dogs mostly enjoy a better quality of life than those in my Hungarian village.
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 1:41 pm
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

We love our Jack, he is 14 years old and he is still doing pretty well for his age. We don't take him for walks because he has a fenced yard and gets plenty of exercise. We do take him for rides with us. I hate to see animals chained up or abused but sadly Hungary doesn't have an exclusive franchise on mistreated dogs, Romania, Bulgaria and I am certain numerous others as well. I love my little guy, when he is gone no doubt I will get another one or 2.
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck for your retirement in Hungary. I'm married to a Hungarian from Miskolc, north Hungary. Her family now live in Malyi. We go out there every year. Also planning to retire there but that's just under another six years away. Reason for choosing this area is family and we have quite a few friends in that area.

I agree about how they treat dogs. Unlike most Hungarians my in laws treat dogs much better and regularly feed next door's dog because it looks so neglected. I only need to walk past a few houses to see the bad side of Hungarians. We have friends over there who leave their dog outside all the time. Only time it goes inside is when the weather is extremely bad or fireworks going off. It seems happy to be outside and always wants to play ball.

Last edited by FenTiger; Aug 2nd 2014 at 1:54 pm.
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Charlie has a fair sized enclosed part of the garden to run around in and in Croatia I leave the gates open so he is free to roam or play with the 2 dogs next door. I still try to take him for walks at both locations though, as they are the highlight of his day. I think it's a bonding activity in our case rather than just exercise. The rest of the day I tend to be busy doing jobs on the house or gardening so I don't have much spare time to play with him.
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 4:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

Like Fen Tiger I live near Miskolc, but nearer to Kosice in Slovakia. I have a 13 month old Shar-Pei and she's the only dog in the village who owns a collar and a lead and is taken for a daily walk. I have a 1000 sq metres of enclosed garden for her to play in but once a week we go to training in Miskolc where we meet several owners who care for their dogs in exactly the same way as we do in the UK.

P.S Fen Tiger .. the next time you're over, if you'd like, you and your wife are most welcome to pop in to see me!
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sachina
Like Fen Tiger I live near Miskolc, but nearer to Kosice in Slovakia. I have a 13 month old Shar-Pei and she's the only dog in the village who owns a collar and a lead and is taken for a daily walk. I have a 1000 sq metres of enclosed garden for her to play in but once a week we go to training in Miskolc where we meet several owners who care for their dogs in exactly the same way as we do in the UK.

P.S Fen Tiger .. the next time you're over, if you'd like, you and your wife are most welcome to pop in to see me!
We are actually in Hungary in a weeks time. Will PM you Sachina.
Old Aug 4th 2014, 11:37 am
Just Joined

afletcher30 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi - we too are heading over for our first ever trip to Hungary in August, having met a chappie at one of the big car shows (we were considering Italy originally). So we are off on a property viewing holiday, not sure what to expect.

We had 2 Jack Russells - big dogs in little bodies ours lived to be 20 years old
Old Aug 4th 2014, 11:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by afletcher30
Hi - we too are heading over for our first ever trip to Hungary in August, having met a chappie at one of the big car shows (we were considering Italy originally). So we are off on a property viewing holiday, not sure what to expect.

We had 2 Jack Russells - big dogs in little bodies ours lived to be 20 years old
20 years old! WOW Re property viewing, there are plenty of threads here about people's experiences. Just take your time and remember...if it sounds too good to be true it usually is. Good luck - Hungary can be a great place :-)
Old Aug 4th 2014, 12:21 pm
Banned

Thanks everyone for your Jack Russell stories, They truly are amazing creatures. Ours doesn't know that he is a dog I don't think. He truly is spoiled rotten, we wouldn't have it any other way.