Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Insurance claims

Insurance claims

Old Jul 11th 2023, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Insurance claims

A friend of mine suffered serious injuries. He mentioned he claimed on three different policies. Wow - I thought the amounts were excessive being equivalent of six months pay. It's only two months since injuries occurred.
In UK making multiple claims as far as I know isn't legal and making additional claims the primary insurance company has a right to know if additional claims for same damages/costs are claimed for. I don't think this has happened!
I've been prompted to ask this because I'm trying to arrange car insurance for my new car and got extras added, I.e. car breakdown and recovery. With my current car it's included under Suzuki. I'm expecting same or similar with new Skoda. Am I being ripped off? Same guy organised friend's insurance claims!

Last edited by FenTiger; Jul 11th 2023 at 5:41 pm.
Old Jul 14th 2023, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Insurance claims

The general principle of insurance is that you should not be better off after the claim than before. (OK difficult to judge if it is about a permanent disability) but if the injury caused some time off work then you could get compensation for lost earnings but not compensation 3 times over. (the payments would be split between the deemed main insurer and others, for them to decide the division.

With regard to your new car you would need to understand what your insurance offers and if this overlaps Skoda offer then you will need to decide. However often the 'extras' are included in the comprehensive policy and can not be deleted i.e. if you delete them the price doesn't alter. You need to ask your insurance man and make sure you understand the small print because that is where the devil resides.
Old Jul 15th 2023, 2:42 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
The general principle of insurance is that you should not be better off after the claim than before. (OK difficult to judge if it is about a permanent disability) but if the injury caused some time off work then you could get compensation for lost earnings but not compensation 3 times over. (the payments would be split between the deemed main insurer and others, for them to decide the division.

With regard to your new car you would need to understand what your insurance offers and if this overlaps Skoda offer then you will need to decide. However often the 'extras' are included in the comprehensive policy and can not be deleted i.e. if you delete them the price doesn't alter. You need to ask your insurance man and make sure you understand the small print because that is where the devil resides.
3 times over ...... my lips are sealed. Gotta think about changing insurance.
Old Jul 15th 2023, 9:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenTiger
3 times over ...... my lips are sealed. Gotta think about changing insurance.
Aren't you jumping to conclusions?

You don't know whether he's claimed three times over for the same thing or whether he's claimed for 3 different things on 3 different policies
Old Jul 15th 2023, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sachina
Aren't you jumping to conclusions?

You don't know whether he's claimed three times over for the same thing or whether he's claimed for 3 different things on 3 different policies
I'm too long in the tooth to think this is normal. Once bitten, twice shy! A financial advisor conned me .... unfortunately I had no paperwork to prove it. Obviously it was very clever of hom to take back the diagrams he'd shown me. Cost me £20,000 . Hence why I'm very precautious.
Old Jul 15th 2023, 11:41 am
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

The general principle of insurance is that you should not be better off after the claim than before.
I understand that insurance companies must never pay out more than they collect from the total of their policies holders collectively but only 1 time out of the 5 times I had to file a claim with an insurance company for a loss did I wind up being made almost whole after the claim was paid out involving an auto accident caused by another party.

That particular claim involved a teen age driver who ran a traffic light and t boned my vehicle (Toyota Hilux) I was transporting several pieces of aluminum stage light truss. The accident caused the items to be flung out into the road intersection resulting in the connection points of the aluminum truss being bent so that the could not be connected with the connection parts that went inside the ends of each truss section AND due to being slightly bent they were no longer safe to be suspended overhead due to a liability insurance policy covering the equipments usage in entertainment venues. The girls insurance carrier paid for the repair of my truck and paid the total cost of replacement of the aluminum truss. The bonus was they did not want the damaged aluminum truss. They gave it back to me and I sold it to a band for about 20 percent of what it originally cost so I would say I made out on that claim. The other claims I had I always wound up skint by the claims adjusters just enough it was not worth retaining a solicitor to fight them.
Old Jul 15th 2023, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

you should not be better off than before ......
That's the key factor for my perspective. To be honest I don't want to be associated with anyone who does this kind of thing because other insurers if they find out I have a connection with them they would scrutinise diligently any claims I make.
Old Jul 15th 2023, 1:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenTiger
you should not be better off than before ......
That's the key factor for my perspective. To be honest I don't want to be associated with anyone who does this kind of thing because other insurers if they find out I have a connection with them they would scrutinise diligently any claims I make.
If you're absolutely certain that a fraud has been committed and you know the name of the person and Insurance company for whom he works, then you should report him to the company who issued the policies.
Old Jul 15th 2023, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sachina
If you're absolutely certain that a fraud has been committed and you know the name of the person and Insurance company for whom he works, then you should report him to the company who issued the policies.
I'm going to wait and see how things pan out next six months. If friend gets further funds .... I'm going to have to ask him .... what's it for? I know the average Hungarian salary per year so if his funds are way above .... he's got questions he needs to answer. I do not want to be associated with anyone who conmits fraud. It's not good for my future application to become Hungarian citizen.