Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Info please.second hand goods.

Info please.second hand goods.

Old Jan 14th 2012, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

Mike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant future
Default Info please.second hand goods.

Hello from NE Slovenia,we would like to know if there is a good flea market,car boot sale or second hand shops were we might be able to find Spinning wheels and the very nice old painted cupboards etc for our own use!Some where just over the border would be great!Any info would be appreciated ,very many thanks,Mike and Janet.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Info please.second hand goods.

There is a market every Sunday morning at Nagykanizsa but there is rarely much selection in the way of antiques or rustic items. There is plenty of crockery and sometimes a few old farm implements. I take it you are looking further afield as you can't find what you want locally?
Old Jan 14th 2012, 7:18 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike and Janet View Post
Hello from NE Slovenia,we would like to know if there is a good flea market,car boot sale or second hand shops were we might be able to find Spinning wheels and the very nice old painted cupboards etc for our own use!Some where just over the border would be great!Any info would be appreciated ,very many thanks,Mike and Janet.
Hi Mike and Janet and welcome to the forum.

There is a market at Nagykanizsa but you won't find either of the items you are looking for there. We know as we have been on the look out for similar items ourselves for a friend and apart from a couple of kids spinning wheels (woodworm included free of charge) we have never seen any. The painted furniture is again thin on the ground and apart from newer painted pieces, again we have not see any for sale. Discussing the lack of these items at local markets with our friends, we assume it has something to do with the years of communism So I would save yourself a trip and perhaps look for a market around Kormend or Gyors - not sure if there is one or what they are like, somebody else might know. However, due to the scarcity of the items, if you do find them, I would assume they might be quite expensive.

I'll have a search about and see if I can find more info for you.

Just had a quick search of the free ads and there are some listed for sale, haven't looked at the individual ads so not sure if they are antique? I'm going to look for painted furniture now as I never thought about trying the freeads before! Will let you know if I find anything.

Last edited by Rural Hungary; Jan 14th 2012 at 7:26 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

Mike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant future

Hi and Thank you to Fidobsa and Rural Hungary! I must admit i had not thought of these as antiques ,Janet use's her spinning wheel almost every day and would like to get one of the decorated hungarian wheels to use so we need to find one in good order,wood worm is also a big problem here ! We have just sold our present house here in Slo and while house hunting online found myself looking at property for sale in Hungary as a change from staring at the few in our price range here! Quite a few of the old hungarian house's come with the painted furniture and i thought that it would be nice to find some for our next home.So we will plan a few trips over and see what we can find! Best Wishes,Mike.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 10:36 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mike, one of the wheels in the link I posted is painted, though it says refurbished so I guess it might be newly done. It's 10,000ft for that one and they offer to ship (doesn't mention the cost of shipping though).

Can I clarify, when you say painted furniture, do you mean naive art style painting with flowers or designs? Or do you mean old furniture which has been painted - usually tables and kitchen dressers? Our friends are looking for the former and it is difficult to find.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

Hi Rural,the former,but prefer to find some with out having to buy the house too!Although some of the places look great!So much flat land for growing,the stuff of our dreams!!!!!Mike.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

There would be no harm in contacting the agents of the houses to see if the sellers are interested in selling items of furniture.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 12:01 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by Mike and Janet View Post
Hi Rural,the former,but prefer to find some with out having to buy the house too!Although some of the places look great!So much flat land for growing,the stuff of our dreams!!!!!Mike.
Perhaps it's common to a specific area as I have traipsed through many an old house and barns and disappointed to not find any. Do you know which area the houses were in?

Good luck with your search:-)

Last edited by Rural Hungary; Jan 15th 2012 at 1:03 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

Good Idea will have a look through the agents sites again and drop them an email,we might get lucky! I do hope you are having the same great weather that we are,its certainly shortening the winter this year!!Best wishes,Mike.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

littlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud of

Hi Guys, Have you looked at http://www.vatera.hu/
Its really just like a Hungarian version of Ebay. Just have one of those translation apps running in your browser as you view.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 9:49 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Hi Littlelamb, have looked on it a few times but the items I was looking for were either a bit expensive for second hand items or new Chinese imports. Though once I did find a pool cleaner but missed it by a couple of days

Currently trying to source a polytunnel but both Vatera and Expressz return no results

Last edited by Rural Hungary; Jan 16th 2012 at 10:57 pm.