Import Tax/VAT

Old Apr 28th 2021, 2:22 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Import Tax/VAT

Originally Posted by wolfi
If you want some quality product/system communicating with your smartphone look at this Bosch system - but it probably won't be cheap:
https://www.bosch-smarthome.com/uk/e...s/smoke-alarm/
This looks good. It does need mobile broadband so notifications can be forwarded when away from the home. Will have look into it because of the different scenarios that could arise, I.e. we're out shopping whilst friends are staying at our house, etc. With the pager system the pager, very light, can be clipped to clothing. At night-time slotted into the charger which links to a vibrating pad under the pillow. When that goes off we just need to see which light is flashing to know what the problem is. This is the doorbell and pager.
There's other videos too.
For the low tech savvy person this kind of equipment is pretty good.
Old Jun 29th 2021, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

My parcel is being held up in UPS customs waiting for the contents description to be translated into Hungarian. It's already been held up once due to one line on the invoice having a zero value. That was just for a sticky label to let the carrier know Lithium batteries are included.
Old Jun 29th 2021, 1:50 pm
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

This is exactly why I no longer purchase anything from the UK because of all the BS to get anything here without extra fees and headaches clearing customs. It is just not worth the hassle any more. If I need something small I try to ask someone traveling here with it in their luggage otherwise I do without. I know there are some items you cannot get other that getting them from a UK supplier but I saw this trouble coming so I stocked up before the Brexit date. Glad I had the foresite.
Old Jun 29th 2021, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

We've decided no more large orders from UK unless it's not available anywhere else. We've got other things going on and this has been quite disruptive.
Old Jun 29th 2021, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

I have ordered 2 lots of car spares from the UK post Brexit, Both times DPD were the carrier and I have been impressed with the organisation. One shipment had VAT and the other did not, The VAT was paid by clicking a link on the DPD email which allowed me to pay the duty with a card. Total delay was an extra 3 days compared with per-Brexit. The shipment without duty was an extra 2 days delay. I guess it is down to the organisation of the carrier.
Old Jun 30th 2021, 1:57 am
BE Forum Addict

DPD have got their house in order. UPS???
Old Jun 30th 2021, 4:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Parcel has cleared customs and is now on the way. Still got no clue whether I need pay any customs/import duty. UPS shipping already paid for! Waiting for delivery date and time. Hope it arrives before we head to the house.
Old Jun 30th 2021, 5:02 am
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

Peter your luck with DPD is much better than ours had been. Of the 7 orders through eBay UK that went through the Global Shipping Program for us in the past 3 years,. DPD was the carrier on 5 of them. DPD lost 2 of them and they were never found, Delivered 1 damaged and left 1 at the wrong house. That was before Brexit was fully implemented. We are between Kaposvar and Pecs.. Adding collecting import duties to the mix I am surprised anyone gets their merchandise. You must have a better driver than we did. DPD is why I no longer purchase anything from eBay UK. DPD is the worst parcel delivery company I have ever dealt with.
Old Jun 30th 2021, 6:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever
Peter your luck with DPD is much better than ours had been. Of the 7 orders through eBay UK that went through the Global Shipping Program for us in the past 3 years,. DPD was the carrier on 5 of them. DPD lost 2 of them and they were never found, Delivered 1 damaged and left 1 at the wrong house. That was before Brexit was fully implemented. We are between Kaposvar and Pecs.. Adding collecting import duties to the mix I am surprised anyone gets their merchandise. You must have a better driver than we did. DPD is why I no longer purchase anything from eBay UK. DPD is the worst parcel delivery company I have ever dealt with.
I've never had any problem with DPD. Because where I live is quite remote, I'm always last on their delivery list, and to make sure they don't make a wasted journey, the driver phones me to check whether I'm at home. I had a delivery yesterday and when I looked at their website the driver had 91 deliveries before mine..
Old Jun 30th 2021, 6:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenTiger
Parcel has cleared customs and is now on the way. Still got no clue whether I need pay any customs/import duty. UPS shipping already paid for! Waiting for delivery date and time. Hope it arrives before we head to the house.
The customs won't release the goods until any duty is paid so if the parcel is on its way in Hungary then there should be no duty to pay. When my car parts came the customs clearance was done in France after which the goods were cleared for the EU and could go anywhere in the EU. I suppose the French customs handling has some mechanism for allocating any duty/VAT to the correct country - but that is their problem.
Old Jul 9th 2021, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

I paid 102.700 HUF, approximately £256 @ 400 HUF to the £1.
The Bellman pager system is working perfectly although it was a faff to get the doorbell chimer to work with the Bellman doorbell transmitter. Still to fit the smoke detector and carbon monoxide detector. Not sure where to put the latter as there is a gas boiler in the kitchen and a TJK wood burner in the cellar which is accessible via the garage from inside the house.
Old Jul 9th 2021, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

How does the import duty work out as a percentage of the product price? (I believe duty is payable on the total of product + shipping cost)

A recent bit of news is that the EU have changed the rules on import from 3rd countries. There used to be a 22 euro threshold where below that duty was deemed to be too low to collect so the item was duty free. Now there is no duty free threshold because the EU found that almost 50% of the import items were below the threshold and as a result they were missing out on too much money. As before the carrier is responsible for collecting the duty so the duty to be paid on items sent in the post will be collected by the post office.
Old Jul 9th 2021, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Total value of the goods I ordered was £838 without VAT/import duties. I know this sounds expensive but that's the price these deaf equipment suppliers charge and I have no choice. I cover these costs via DLA/PIP which I'm still entitled to claim under Brexit rules. I must admit there was one item I had duplicated without realising but ... I'm not bothered as it gives us another option to know when the pager system alert is sending a signal. We only have one pager ... the additional equipment is more of an audio/flashing light unit and with two we can position them wherever we want. Primary aim is our safety, hence why I spent so much. It took me a while to get our hungarian doorbell chimer working with our UK supplied doorbell transmitter but we have cracked it. Prior to that I had been depending on my dog barking and via the baby alarm alerting me to what's going on outside! You all have normal hearing so just imagine if you were wearing ear plugs ... would you hear anything? Nope, that's me 24/7 hence spending so much money but I have recovered it via DLA/PIP.
If you'd like to see a video of the equipment we have I'm happy to show you all how it works.

We bought a very good local deaf couple similar equipment because they helped us so much on top on advising us and sorting out works in the garden which were urgent. I was up in the attic and was shocked by the placing of the roof tiles which needed sorting. Our local deaf friend did it for free! Hence why I bought them similar equipment. When my mother-in-law suddenly started behaving erratically our deaf friends kindly offered us to use the equipment we bought them until our delivery arrived. We've had our delivery but it's not all set up yet so mother-in-law property is holding onto it.
Should I charge a fee?