Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

I was in the village pub last night

I was in the village pub last night

Old Jun 1st 2023, 1:30 pm
Banned

Bill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond repute
Default I was in the village pub last night

I only go with HUF 2000 cash, no credit cards - that gets me 4 drinks.

Anyway, as most of you will recognise, quite a few people like to speak English with you down the kocsma, same as I like to practise my Hungarian.

Last night I had the delightful Gabriella in conversation - works for a well-known Swiss company - plus her boyfriend. Gabriella speaks better English - her company's working language is English. When I say delightful: I mean, shame I'm not 25 years younger lol.

Anyway, her perfectly pleasant boyfriend (who I like) came out with some perfect English idiom/ turn of phrase that made tipsy me say - where did you fracking learn how to say that?

Gabriella just said: because he's clever.

I happen to speak French, Italian and Spanish to university degree level, plus Portuguese, A-level German, some Hungarian, a bit of Russian, Arabic and Cantonese. But I don't know any of them well enough to say what the handsome boyfriend said.

UK MFL language skills are abysmal.
Old Jun 1st 2023, 1:50 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I was in the village pub last night

Benefit of being the global lingua franca.