Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

I really hate Hungarian dog owners

I really hate Hungarian dog owners

Old May 7th 2022, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I really hate Hungarian dog owners

I see quite a few chained dogs. One right next to the local pékség. The owners recently put up a fence so the pékség customers can't see it chained up. There's another one which is heavily matted.
Old May 7th 2022, 10:11 am
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenTiger
I see quite a few chained dogs. One right next to the local pékség. The owners recently put up a fence so the pékség customers can't see it chained up. There's another one which is heavily matted.

I thought the Hungarian Government outlawed chaining dogs a couple years back? I have not seen any chained around here in several years. If it is not against the law it certainly should be. That and keeping a dog in a small dog run with less than 30m2 is animal cruelty especially if the dog cannot get out for walks and exercise daily.
Old May 7th 2022, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever
I thought the Hungarian Government outlawed chaining dogs a couple years back? I have not seen any chained around here in several years. If it is not against the law it certainly should be. That and keeping a dog in a small dog run with less than 30m2 is animal cruelty especially if the dog cannot get out for walks and exercise daily.
Yes, it's against the law to chain dogs.
Old May 7th 2022, 5:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Against the law - but some people still do it and it's no use calling animal control or the police.
It's a sad, sad story - almost have to agree with AAD, though here it's not that bad, but bad enough.
OT:
If you're wondering why I wasn't participating in the discussions:
I had an ugly fall, almost broke my spine and to make sure they kept me in the hospital for two months - had Covid too, but after being boostered almost no symptoms.
Old May 7th 2022, 9:40 pm
AAD
Just Joined

AAD is an unknown quantity at this point

I am in Mezöcsát , near Tiszaujvaros and Miskolc, Jesus it has gone down hill here. I have been coming here since 1970, no respect for animals what so ever, and i mean that, I had to go mental at a gang of Gypsy Lads last year taking a shovel to a dog, I told them I was going to come down and put it round there heads, believe me i do not take crap off anyone .
someone tried to run me over walking my dog in 2017, yes i flipped and punched his rear quarter window through and nearly got a prison sentence, went straight to the police.
But remember i know majority from here, i had to come off Facebook due to Hungarian's posting stuff regards to animals , dogs etc, because i would go mental and i was getting banned all the time.
I do not care, because seeing animals being kicked, rocks , stones being thrown at them all the time gets my back right up, it's not the animals fault, it is the owners.
There is just no respect for animals out here.
Tolna where I have my other farm house with 10,000 square metres of land, I got that solely for my 10 black Shepherd dogs.
Now that county is beautiful compared to here, different world, I just have to find away to get all the dogs there now, I cannot see more than two being in my car traveling to the property.
Honestly hate it here now, and I have spent alot of money on this house and garden, full of wildlife, and due to me putting in a big pond , the storks set a nest up right outside the house, I know they are messy but they have a right to live, one keeps looking at me through the top window in the living room, we are mates lol.

Last edited by AAD; May 7th 2022 at 9:45 pm.
Old May 7th 2022, 9:54 pm
AAD
Just Joined

Originally Posted by wolfi
Against the law - but some people still do it and it's no use calling animal control or the police.
It's a sad, sad story - almost have to agree with AAD, though here it's not that bad, but bad enough.
OT:
If you're wondering why I wasn't participating in the discussions:
I had an ugly fall, almost broke my spine and to make sure they kept me in the hospital for two months - had Covid too, but after being boostered almost no symptoms.
Chains and ropes are very common here and no water, they seem to think a small cooking pan 20cm is enough for a big dog in summer, the dog goes round and round knocking all the dishes, pans over when on a chain or rope.
My dad was full Hungarian. and i have come across many bloody backward people, i have now had to accept my fate of living here, and due to my mental illness, it actually got bloody worse not better.
I am nearly 52 and worked has a 44 tonne driver in the UK for 25 years and was really hoping living here will make me feel better than just say the 4 week's holiday i would have each year.

Last edited by AAD; May 7th 2022 at 9:57 pm.
Old May 12th 2022, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

The lone neighbour's dog has started whining all day alternating with loud barking.
My wife was told that the neighbour brought two goats back and put the dog into a small enclosure (kennel?) maybe 5 x 5 meters so he can't reach the fence and we can't say hello and feed him.
The poor animal is going crazy!
Btw he once was a family dog, spent the nights sleeping in the owner's bedroom and now ...
The neighbours are already discussing what to do but nobody has an idea.
Horrible!
Old May 12th 2022, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by wolfi
The lone neighbour's dog has started whining all day alternating with loud barking.
My wife was told that the neighbour brought two goats back and put the dog into a small enclosure (kennel?) maybe 5 x 5 meters so he can't reach the fence and we can't say hello and feed him.
The poor animal is going crazy!
Btw he once was a family dog, spent the nights sleeping in the owner's bedroom and now ...
The neighbours are already discussing what to do but nobody has an idea.
Horrible!
Oh dear. Poor dog. I can understand why it's going crazy, whining and barking. Our dogs, both in UK and Hungary, have always slept in our bedroom. Main reason being if we shut them in the kitchen or whatever room we wouldn't hear them barking to alert us to anything. Our previous two dogs cottoned on to us being deaf so if they needed to go outside they'd paw us until we woke up. Our third dog nudges us with a ball or toy in his mouth. Our other dog is yet to cotton on to what she needs to do to wake us up but our third dog if something is amiss, i.e. other dog has been sick, he'd nudge us to let us know.
Old May 12th 2022, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

When I first moved into the village nearly 15 years ago my neighbours thought I was crazy because my two dogs lived in the house and wore collars and were walked on a lead each day. At that time there were only a couple of dog training schools in Miskolc, one of whom used what are now considered out of date methods to train dogs. Fast forward, nowadays there's plenty of choice in good trainers who use positive reinforcement and I often see other owners in the village walking their dogs on a lead. Generally speaking the local dogs seem to be treated far better than before.

My own dogs have the run of the house and can sleep wherever they like. The elder one likes to go to bed early and will take himself off to his bed which is at the foot of mine. Sometimes though he'll sleep on the sofa in the living room. The other will follow me to bed, usually settling down on his bed by the side of mine. Usually though, I'll wake to find him snuggled up next to me.
Old May 12th 2022, 1:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

One thing I appreciated about the Old English Sheepdog I had.
He would definitely sleep where he wanted (my bedroom) - his 50 kilos ensured that - but he would not sleep on the bed or in a bed on the floor, preferring to go "dead dog" on the floor by the side of the bed!
​​​​​​
Old May 14th 2022, 8:46 am
AAD
Just Joined

You may aswell think of Hungary as not animal lovers.
I have seen the best of them treat them like crap.
I told the police about the bloke i fell out with across the road, regards to shooting cats on the spot when going in his garden or setting his gsd on to them, his shepherd dog killed a stork and all he said was oh i undone the gate and dog got it, he smiled like he was a clever twat.
You can imagine what was going through my head at that time, anyway we have not spoke for 3 years because i went mental at him for interfering in my life.
Look UK people are different to Hungarian people. yes you will find some pretty normal thinking ones, my girlfriend is so much like me now. I would never walk a dog here due to all the dogs living outside, it's a complete nightmare, you are better off driving somewhere really quiet ,but even then i got two big dogs walking up to me barking, I told the owner to sort his fencing out.
And i had my gsd, I said if i have to let my dog off a lead to protect me and itself from your dogs i will.
In all honesty i am in Hungary, but tbh i would not be here more than 6 months a year due to backwards idiots.
Why i invested here is beyond me. Clearly my illness must of gone right down hill.
How can a country with such beautiful wildlife treat them like it's the dark ages.
Most gardens should have water for birds here, the long dry summers is difficult for them.
I have everything nesting in my garden.
And you will not find many Gypsy families with dogs in the house or cats, they are proper not allowed.
There houses are spotless inside, they will not have animal fur anywhere.
Old May 14th 2022, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AAD
Y
And you will not find many Gypsy families with dogs in the house or cats, they are proper not allowed.
There houses are spotless inside, they will not have animal fur anywhere.
It's horses for courses as they say
My cats and dogs are outside - they don't come in the house, but then neither do the horses, cows, chicken, ducks or any other animals we have.
Old May 14th 2022, 8:22 pm
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

Dogs live in my house and if dog hair bothers anyone they will not like to come inside my house. They do shed and thats why I have a hoover. I am retired and dogs are great companions. I treat mine better than most people do. I do understand that many do not share my view about indoor pets.
Old May 15th 2022, 6:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

Quote by AAD

"And you will not find many Gypsy families with dogs in the house or cats, they are proper not allowed.

There houses are spotless inside, they will not have animal fur anywhere."

I agree you won't find dogs in Gypsy houses. That's because in my experience their dogs are left to roam around willy-nilly, with no training or supervision whatsoever. The village next to mine is 90% Gypsy and I have to pass through it on my way to town. I've lost count of the number of times I've had to stop the car because of dogs lying in the middle of the road, My car has also been followed and attacked by anything up to six dogs. The owners will stand and laugh but do nothing to stop the dogs.

My dogs have free run of the house and sleep in my bedroom. You won't find any dog hairs in either my house or car though, because I own Schnauzers which don't shed, Even when I did own a dog that shed, the regular use of a vacuum cleaner soon cleaned up the offending dog hairs!

Referring to your post No 21. How do you go on with barking, exercising and grooming your 10 black shepherd dogs? I'd be interested to know.

Last edited by Sachina; May 15th 2022 at 6:58 am.
Old Jun 6th 2022, 10:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Good news!
Maybe you remember my story about Satan, the poor dog having to stay in a small kennel 24 hours because the owner had a few goats running free ?
Now our neighbour solved that problem:
She told the goat owner that her animals were trying to destroy the fence because they wanted to get at her lush greenery like grapes and she would have to pay to repair the fence if they were successful. The goats' owner only fed them dry stuff but of course the goats want fresh greenery.
So the goats were moved to another place and Satan can roam again.
When he sees one of his friends he comes up to the fence - so happy!
And it doesn't hurt that we and the other neighbours often have some goodie for him ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.