Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

I really hate Hungarian dog owners

I really hate Hungarian dog owners

Old Jan 10th 2022, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default I really hate Hungarian dog owners

Following Duztee's thread 'I really hate Hungarian builders' I feel like having a rant about Hungarian dog owners.
Past week and a half I've stopped enjoying walking my dogs around the village or towards the koi fish farm via a farm track. Why? I've never seen so much dog poo on grass verges, on the road, footpaths, etc. Walking the dogs I'm constantly watching what's attracting the dogs to have a sniff and I have to get it real close to check. Also checking the grass verges ahead so I can steer the dogs away avoiding them treading in the dog poo. It's worse when there's no footpath so with a vehicle approaching have to step onto the grass verge and checking for dog poo.
Yesterday my wife joined me walking the dogs and she was appalled. She said it's like every two metres there were dog poo!
I'd been walking our other dog until we got the GSD around the village for a year and never seen it so bad.
Only option seems to be to drive somewhere else outside the village.

Rant over!
Old Jan 10th 2022, 2:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I really hate Hungarian dog owners

Tiger, do people walk their dogs or just let them run around where you live?
I've never made similar exoperiences at the Balaton or here at the Danube - most dogs are locked behind their fences anyway.
And the few people who walk their dogs (just as we did before we had to put our Alexa to sleep) let them do their business in the grass - not on the sidewalk.
Old Jan 10th 2022, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wolfi
Tiger, do people walk their dogs or just let them run around where you live?
I've never made similar exoperiences at the Balaton or here at the Danube - most dogs are locked behind their fences anyway.
And the few people who walk their dogs (just as we did before we had to put our Alexa to sleep) let them do their business in the grass - not on the sidewalk.
Most dogs are kept within their owners property but there are some who walk their dogs, very few in fact. Most when walked are kept on leads but a few without a lead. I recently encountered an older lady walking one dog on lead and the other without, that one was particularly aggressive so no idea why not on lead.
Unfortunately around our village I've come across dogs doing their business on the sidewalk, as well as on grass verges where there's no sidewalk. I really believe it's got worse past six months. We always, like we did in UK, always bag our dogs poo and dispose of it in our wheelie bin.
What's most annoying is the dog business left on a 5-a-side football pitch and surrounding area. That's unacceptable.
It should be picked up and taken home.
Old Jan 11th 2022, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

Well Fen you have hit another one!
We could start a regular 'I hate . . .' thread.
I don't know which is worse the dogs which are kept in the garden as intruder deterrents or the ones taken for walks.
The garden variety bark at everything and everybody that passes, and the walking type set the garden variety off with added gusto.

I could start a 'I hate Hungarian security paranoia' thread.
I regularly walk to my local tobacconist and at first ever dog in ever house I passed had to have it's say, now they don't bother, I've become a sort of 'Oh it's only him again'. It has reached the point where several of the dogs have become very friendly and are happy to have a short petting.
So for any would be burglars the simple solution is to spend a week or two strolling up and down a street saying hello to all the dogs and their security level plummets, even to the point of 'Please come in and play with me'.

Edited to add the worse problem are strays, the really set ever dog barking for streets around.

Last edited by duztee; Jan 11th 2022 at 12:17 pm. Reason: added a bit
Old Jan 11th 2022, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

We are also friends with the neighbours' dogs and they expect to be petted.
I may have written already about the following situation:
The most horrible case of barking dog here is a poor creature whose owner (an old lady) died almost two years ago - since then the dog has "lived" alone ...
Once or twice a week the dead lady's son and his wife come by with dry food and water.
Now we and the other immediate neighbours have taken to feed the poor creature with some extra stuff like remaining meat and well cooked bones - and he also gets his caresses.
So while he starts barking like crazy when anyone else walks by he comes to the fence wagging his tail and enjoys those strokes whenever one of us arrives there ...
But I heard that in Romania eg the situation is much worse.
Old Jan 11th 2022, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by duztee
Well Fen you have hit another one!
We could start a regular 'I hate . . .' thread.
I don't know which is worse the dogs which are kept in the garden as intruder deterrents or the ones taken for walks.
The garden variety bark at everything and everybody that passes, and the walking type set the garden variety off with added gusto.

I could start a 'I hate Hungarian security paranoia' thread.
I regularly walk to my local tobacconist and at first ever dog in ever house I passed had to have it's say, now they don't bother, I've become a sort of 'Oh it's only him again'. It has reached the point where several of the dogs have become very friendly and are happy to have a short petting.
So for any would be burglars the simple solution is to spend a week or two strolling up and down a street saying hello to all the dogs and their security level plummets, even to the point of 'Please come in and play with me'.

Edited to add the worse problem are strays, the really set ever dog barking for streets around.
Your post had me ROFL. Same with me dogs barking at me even though the dogs are not with me.
Old Jan 11th 2022, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by wolfi
We are also friends with the neighbours' dogs and they expect to be petted.
I may have written already about the following situation:
The most horrible case of barking dog here is a poor creature whose owner (an old lady) died almost two years ago - since then the dog has "lived" alone ...
Once or twice a week the dead lady's son and his wife come by with dry food and water.
Now we and the other immediate neighbours have taken to feed the poor creature with some extra stuff like remaining meat and well cooked bones - and he also gets his caresses.
So while he starts barking like crazy when anyone else walks by he comes to the fence wagging his tail and enjoys those strokes whenever one of us arrives there ...
But I heard that in Romania eg the situation is much worse.
When we lived at mother-in-law property we discovered that a guy who lived at a nearby house actually lived in a flat in the city during the week and he'd pop down for the day or at weekends. Yup, he had a dog too. Poor thing was left on its own so a neighbour fed it. I see alot of dogs looking like they needed good groom to cut away matted fur!
Old Jan 12th 2022, 3:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

Apart from dogs barking behind their gates no problem with dog poo where I live. Most weeks i walk my two in different locations around Miskolc and in Miskolc itself and can't ever remember seeing dog poo on the pavements, grass verges or in the many parks we've visited.
Old Jan 12th 2022, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sachina
Apart from dogs barking behind their gates no problem with dog poo where I live. Most weeks i walk my two in different locations around Miskolc and in Miskolc itself and can't ever remember seeing dog poo on the pavements, grass verges or in the many parks we've visited.
It's not so good in our village, Mályi.
Old Jan 13th 2022, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

I told a friend that I was watching my cat dig a hole, poo in it, then fill it in.
He said that's normal, all cats do that.
I replied 'What with a shovel!'
Sorry couldn't resist.

Last edited by duztee; Jan 13th 2022 at 8:23 am. Reason: spelling
Old Jan 13th 2022, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by duztee
I told a friend that I was watching my cat dig a hole, poo in it, then fill it in.
He said that's normal, all cats do that.
I replied 'What with a shovel!'
Sorry couldn't resist.
Back in the UK alot of cats used to come onto both our front and rear gardens to do a poo. It drove the dogs potty because they'd run around the garden looking for the culprit. One even used to poo in a large planter with bamboo plant so I put large stones around it. Not seen any in our garden here. Probably need to get out the wildlife camera not that it will capture any wildlife. It'll only likely to be domestic cats!
Old Mar 4th 2022, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

I think I've got to the bottom of why there's more dog poop everywhere. Wednesday had to head up to Miskolc and we went on the bus. Waiting at bus stop saw six dog owners with seven dogs all in the space of 20 minutes. I honestly since moving to our village, Mályi, had never seen so many dogs being walked. So from a doggie point of view more dogs, including some in bad need of a good brush, in the village are being walked. From a responsible dog owners perspective not good when dog poop isn't picked up.
Old May 7th 2022, 7:01 am
AAD
Just Joined

AAD is an unknown quantity at this point

Do not get me started on Dog owners in general in Hungary.
Here in Borsod Megye, the life of a animal is dire.
Coming here all these years nothing has changed, it's like yes we will have a dog, which the majority all live outside, but we still have a broken fence.
Vet bills, it does not matter, because once the dog is ill, a injection will do, and we will get another. Oh and do not forget they will not pay out to have the dogs neutered at all, it costs money, so what you have is, gangs of dogs roaming the streets, to mate with each other, producing more dogs, and the same goes for cats.
I am actually doing a video regards to it, because i am seeing so much cruelty, dogs on chains constantly and no water, even they break lose because there lives are so horrible.
I am keeping this comment clean, but i am livid on a daily basis, I do not see poop , I recon the street dogs eat it starving majority are.
I could go on about lots of things here which completely does my head in.
Councils and police do nothing also.
you want to be where i am, I have a community centre at the back of the house and it is a public toilet, and it is so bad nobody even cares, they do there buisness in full view, prostitutes, everything.
Unfortunately the life in Hungary is let down by there own people.
Yes i am half Hungarian, dad left in 1956, I have been coming here all my life since 1970 and speak the language.
Animals are animals here , and that's it. A country which has so much going for it, is let down by Hungarians themselves.
Thievery is rife here in all ways, including your respectable shop owners.

Last edited by AAD; May 7th 2022 at 7:06 am.
Old May 7th 2022, 8:11 am
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

Thankfully the most issues you describe are not that way in my area. I live full time in Somogy county and I no longer see dogs tied up with chains or ropes. I have not seen dogs in my village without somewhere dry they can sleep. I do not see many dogs running loose here because our Polgarmeister has cracked down on running loose dogs a few years back. Once in a while you see one whom has gotten out but that is not an everyday happening. If there is a stray in the village there are a couple of womenwho will catch them and take them to a rescue center in Kaposvar that will take them in and help out with spaying neuturing and adopting out . It is a no kill private shelter that sadly does have a few that have been there a long time. There are a lot of rescue animal groups spread throughout Hungary that are no kill shelters, My village has feral cats caused because the people with cats neverr want to spend the money for spaying/neuturing. I will say I feel for these animals but the ones I see seem to be eating well and there does not seem to be a mouse or rat problem around here.

If you think animals have it bad here you really will become ill if you ever visit Bulgaria. It is so bad I cannot bear to type it out here for you to read.

Not all parts of Hungary are as bad as it seems to be in your area of Hungary. Sure there is some corruption no doubt but I have never experienced it since moving to Hungary. We do not seem to have much criminality in my village. In the time I have been here I know of less than a few things happening, A long term vacant house had someone nick the radiators and a few metal items. Someone fly tipped a loaf of trash and construction rubble a few months back on a dead end road. Someone took a womans purse left in her unlocked car on the street, a guy lost a strimmer he left in his drive but nothing worse than that. Just petty stuff that happens a lot even back home.
Old May 7th 2022, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AAD
Do not get me started on Dog owners in general in Hungary.
Here in Borsod Megye, the life of a animal is dire.
Coming here all these years nothing has changed, it's like yes we will have a dog, which the majority all live outside, but we still have a broken fence.
Vet bills, it does not matter, because once the dog is ill, a injection will do, and we will get another. Oh and do not forget they will not pay out to have the dogs neutered at all, it costs money, so what you have is, gangs of dogs roaming the streets, to mate with each other, producing more dogs, and the same goes for cats.
I am actually doing a video regards to it, because i am seeing so much cruelty, dogs on chains constantly and no water, even they break lose because there lives are so horrible.
I am keeping this comment clean, but i am livid on a daily basis, I do not see poop , I recon the street dogs eat it starving majority are.
I could go on about lots of things here which completely does my head in.
Councils and police do nothing also.
you want to be where i am, I have a community centre at the back of the house and it is a public toilet, and it is so bad nobody even cares, they do there buisness in full view, prostitutes, everything.
Unfortunately the life in Hungary is let down by there own people.
Yes i am half Hungarian, dad left in 1956, I have been coming here all my life since 1970 and speak the language.
Animals are animals here , and that's it. A country which has so much going for it, is let down by Hungarians themselves.
Thievery is rife here in all ways, including your respectable shop owners.
Where on earth do you live in BAZ? I also live in BAZ in a remote village close to the Slovakian border. I only know of one dog that is kept on a chain in the garden, The others that are not owned by local farmers are treated in exactly the same way with the same care I give my own two.

As to thievery I have left my car unlocked outside on my driveway for the past 15 years with out a problem. I never lock my front door when I take my dogs out for a walk . And I've found in general Hungarians to be very open and honest.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.