British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Hungary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/)
-   -   I hate Hungarian drivers! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/i-hate-hungarian-drivers-944624/)

wolfi Jul 4th 2022 7:29 pm

I hate Hungarian drivers!

Of course not all of them, but there's a large number driving like crazy.
Our street has parking cars on both sides, sometimes the bus which passes every hour has to wait because of some idiot.
And they also don't follow the speed limits of course.
Today one of our neighbours came by in tears. A few weeks ago they had found a young stray cat near thei little house by the Danube (her husband's hobby is fishing) and they took it home. This morning some crazy guy killed the poor thing with his car. The only good news is that the cat was dead immediately, didn't have to suffer.

PaulinEger Jul 5th 2022 5:32 am

Re: I hate Hungarian drivers!

I also hate Hungarian drivers. Every day I encounter dangerous overtaking, especially near bends and crossing the white line onto my side of the road.
I rarely ride my motorbike these days due to the dangerous driving of car users.

wolfi Jul 5th 2022 7:19 am

Paul overtaking in situations where a normal driver would stay behind seems to be a hobby of some people.
Even if after 50 m they are stuck behind the next "slow driver" which just follows the rules.
I may have written about this before:
When I came to Hungary the first time 25 years ago of course I followed the speed limits - but was often overtaken by an old Trabant even ...
So over the years I got used to driving maybe 10 km/h over the limit but that Is not fast enough for some people!
Well, now I've stopped driving, gave my little car to the next generation - my wife says that was a good idea at almost 80 years of age.

wolfi Jul 5th 2022 9:03 am

Just to clear up potential misunderstandings:
When I got my driver's licence on a beetle 60 years ago the situation in Germany was similar or maybe even worse.
Radar helped a bit, every driver knows that when there's a speed limit there probably also is a speed check.
Only in the last 20 years it became much better. Whether this is because people are better educated or because every village has a speedcheck (often 2 or 3!) i can't say. As usual several factors are valid.
In our neighbourhood we have 2 streets with a speed limit of 30 which is totally ignored in one street - even at 40 I would get overtaken regularly.
The other however has several "sleeping policemen" and much lower and safer speeds ...

scrubbedexpat142 Jul 5th 2022 9:46 am

I have to say that I've found the city drivers, generally, pretty good, compared to other capital cities, including London. We do see the odd lunatic (usually in a high end Merc or BMW) driving at silly speeds, usually determined to make the damn thing pop & bang on the overrun!
The other anomoly I have noticed is that, when crossing a road, away from a crossing, if we stand & wait, cars will invariably stop & wave us across, even though it is clear we are happy to wait - maybe because many Budapestis just step out regardless!

I appreciate it's all very different outside the city!

jetsam1 Jul 6th 2022 6:44 pm

I do an hour and a half commute to work on mixed roads. It is a LOT better than it was the first time I drove in Hungary 10 years ago.

Still big pricey Mercs etc that are a problem (we had this chat at work and no-one understands how people are affording these expensive cars........... or any mid range upwards new cars....)

wolfi Jul 6th 2022 7:32 pm

Re high end cars:
There are obviously some rich people who want to show off - in our street someone drove a Hummer ...
But there are also people who drive, buy and sell mainly older BMWs etc which wouldn't be allowed on German eg roads anymore - like those Turbo Diesels that produce a thick cloud of smoke when accelerating.
On the other hand there are many doctors, lawyers, business people with nice new cars.
And also some "workers":
My wife's son who works in IT switched employers and got a company car right now, a Skoda Octavia (i e VW) because they really want him/need him.
Re
"cars will invariably stop & wave us across"
It happens often to us and our visitors when we want to get on the main road and there's a long line - someone will allow us in from our little street ...
But there are some crazy ones ...

Jack_Russells4ever Jul 7th 2022 5:47 am

In my village the Mayor had speed breakers installed on a couple streets due to a couple of "tuner cars" that race up a couple of the streets or at least they did before the speed breakers were installed. I have asked for them on my street because we have a neighbour who races down the street and there are numerous small children around here that have been known to dart into the road to retrieve balls or other toys. The Rendorszeg won't do anything unless they catch the guy and of course they are never around to catch him.

Sachina Jul 7th 2022 6:38 am

There's a 50 kms speed limit through the villages and it's rarely drivers don't stick to it, because you never know when the police have set up a camera. If you get stopped the fine is 15000HUF or more depending on how fast you've been travelling.

The most dangerous things I encounter driving through the villages on my way to town are dogs and drunken cyclists wandering all over the road.

jetsam1 Jul 14th 2022 6:29 am

Well, all these problems will go away when petrol is 800 HUF a litre! No one will be able to afford to drive! :lol:

FenTiger Jul 14th 2022 9:45 am

I often find myself mouthing to myself 'What the heck are they bombing down a narrow village road for?'. The worst ones are those living in Mályi-To. It's obvious living in that area is not what it's all cracked up to be and they all have a need to speed to get somewhere.
I usually stick to the speed limit but occasionally my accelerator foot presses a little too hard! I do find it scarey seeing ahead someone overtaking where they shouldn't.

Sachina Jul 14th 2022 11:08 am

Originally Posted by FenTiger (Post 13128701)
I often find myself mouthing to myself 'What the heck are they bombing down a narrow village road for?'. The worst ones are those living in Mályi-To. It's obvious living in that area is not what it's all cracked up to be and they all have a need to speed to get somewhere.
I usually stick to the speed limit but occasionally my accelerator foot presses a little too hard! I do find it scarey seeing ahead someone overtaking where they shouldn't.

Just watch your speed when you're driving through villages,because after driving in BAZ for the past 15 years I know the police are very keen on their speed traps!

FenTiger Jul 14th 2022 2:22 pm

:(

Shotgun Jul 14th 2022 6:34 pm

On the very rare occasions when there's a build up of traffic on the motorway and I'm in the fast (overtaking) lane, I get drivers coming up behind me flashing their lights, wanting to get past.

Where do they think they're going to go to, there's a queue of traffic in front of me.

This has happened on a number of occasions over the last few years. Is this normal in Hungary?

jetsam1 Jul 14th 2022 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by Shotgun (Post 13128865)
On the very rare occasions when there's a build up of traffic on the motorway and I'm in the fast (overtaking) lane, I get drivers coming up behind me flashing their lights, wanting to get past.

Where do they think they're going to go to, there's a queue of traffic in front of me.

This has happened on a number of occasions over the last few years. Is this normal in Hungary?

Normal in general if you are being good and obeying the traffic laws. I slow down for them to make sure I cannot be in trouble for speeding if they do hit me. This is Humans. Humans are awful.