Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Hungary now chasing foreigners for 'no motorway vignette'

Hungary now chasing foreigners for 'no motorway vignette'

Old Dec 8th 2018, 3:25 am
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hungary now chasing foreigners for 'no motorway vignette'

Originally Posted by Thairetired2016
If you don't want to pay toll, don't use the toll road. There is always an alternative. May take you longer, road may be potholed, but it will be free to use.
I always use the best roads, doesn't worry me about the cost of vignettes etc, I would like to see them done away with and charged another way, either in fuel or plate cost etc.
Old Dec 8th 2018, 3:56 am
Banned

Pilis Nemzeti Park Fella is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by wolfi
Re:
emission stickers

You also need them in Germany - old stinky Diesels aren't allowed in most towns ...
(Only new stinky Diesels
There were three levels: red, yellow gree - now green is necessary.
I hope the Autobahns are still OK for stinky old diesels?
Old Dec 8th 2018, 8:39 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat0105 is an unknown quantity at this point

The fine of £137 is in fact almost exactly the same as the fine for driving in central London without paying the congestion charge. Foreign vehicles are also subject to the London congestion charge.

There are no toll booths around central London at which you can pay the congestion charge. There are no signs in Hungarian around central London saying that you have to pay the congestion charge.

If you don't pay the charge and your number plate is photographed, you are sent a demand for £130. There is an appeals procedure, as there evidently is (as Wolfi's post shows) for the fine for using Hungarian motorways without paying the toll.

I don't see any difference in principle. When I last drove in central London, I realized that there was a congestion charge, but I found the procedure for paying it – even as an English-speaker – somewhat complicated.

I don't think the "human rights" argument would go down well in London as an excuse for not paying the fine for not paying the congestion charge.

I've travelled widely in Europe and fallen foul of minor, unexpected rules no end of times. Most of the time, I've got away with it. Earlier this year, for example, I travelled on the Vienna underground with an unmuzzled dog, which isn't allowed; I could have been fined. That's life; you can't know everything, but ignorance of the law/rules is no excuse.
Old Dec 8th 2018, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

I disagree with the addition of a small levy or tax on fuel to cover the cost of motorway use. I'm guessing that most Hungarians don't frequently use the autópálya and would therefore be better off just paying for the odd occadion that they do use it. And purchasing one when you need it is a very quick and simple process, not difficult at all.
Old Dec 8th 2018, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

When ever I plan a journey I first check an on-line site which deals with tolls in all countries.
I can check each country and put the relevant vignette in to the basket, so one simple payment all done at home in a few moments and no further thoughts on the matter for the whole trip.
I got my Germany emissions sticker from the same source.
Why make life more complicated than it needs to be.
Old Dec 8th 2018, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

As a German memeber of the ADAC automobile club I always ask for the brochures on the countries that I visit. It's not only tolls but other different rules on what's allowed. Take speed limits:
On regular roads it's 100 km/h in Austria and Germany, 90 in Hungary and only 80 now in France!
There also are those things like switching on your lights during the day etc ...
Don't you guys have that in Britain?
PS:
Of course that info is also available online ...
And totally OT for those who travel via Austria:
There's now a stretch of motorway around Ybbs where the speed limit has been raised to 140!
Old Dec 9th 2018, 6:27 am
Banned

Originally Posted by wolfi
Don't you guys have that in Britain?
It's not that great! https://www.theaa.com/european-break...try-by-country
Old Dec 10th 2018, 1:39 am
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

That AA info looks good - compact and correct!
Old Dec 30th 2018, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

Tonymol is an unknown quantity at this point

This year when I tried to buy one in Austria she refused to sell me a vignette because I didn’t have my V5 document!
Old Dec 31st 2018, 2:05 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Tonymol
This year when I tried to buy one in Austria she refused to sell me a vignette because I didn’t have my V5 document!
Presumably because of this - I'd have simply paid the higher price:
  • Vehicles exeeding 3,5t The toll tariff system based on emission categories concerns all motor vehicles with a maximum permissible gross weight exceeding 3.5t and applies on all Austrian motorways and highways. These vehicles are required to attach a small adjustment - named the GO-Box - to their windscreen. Note that this includes larger private vehicles such as motor caravans that are above the weight limit. If your motor vehicle is close to the weight limit you are advised to carry documentation confirming the maximum permitted laden weight. If your registration documents do not clearly state this, you'll need to produce alternative certification e.g. from a weigh-bridge.