Hungary Banks

Old Apr 27th 2017, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

GBA77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hungary Banks

In China (and possible other countries) purchases can be made from/with WhattsApp on their mobile phones. I thought the this app. was just a chat and video medium but apparently not.

I shudder to think about security issues the above could raise. Unless all the hackers and what not don't prey on their own
Old Jan 10th 2018, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

Banks GGGRRRRRRRR

I know this is an old thread but don't see the point in opening a new one.

Jut back from K&H bank Zalaegerszeg. They are no longer accepting cheque deposits. I have scoured my emails and know for a fact that I have not received any written notification to this effect.

I did ask if it was just cheques drawn on UK banks - or in this case the HMRC (for a change) and was told it was all cheques. It looks like K&H has just jumped from the 20th clear into the 22nd century

Anyone else had a similar problem or heard of this?

GBA
Old Jan 10th 2018, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

UK state pensions are paid directly into bank accounts and have been for some years (previously 4 weekly cheques were the order of the day) I would be surprised if HMRC did not offer this as well.

Cheques - being bits of paper - are expensive to manage so banks don't like them. The UK banks wanted to get rid of cheques a couple of years back but the outcry was too great so they shelved the plan for a bit. Hungary never really had the big usage of cheques as per the UK, it went from cash to debit cards so dumping cheques here is relatively easy.

The last time (a couple of years ago) I presented a cheque to my bank (OTP) it took 3 months to clear. When I got this traced it appears that the OTP was sitting on the money for 2 3/4 months. It is in their small print that foreign cheques 'can' take up to 3 months to clear, and they use this time to earn interest on your money.

But to answer your question - I don't know how many other banks no longer accept cheques, I haven't received one for a couple of years or written one for 10 or more years.
Old Jan 10th 2018, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

I was always told that cheques don't exist in Hungary so just assumed no bank has ever accepted them. I keep a UK cheque book for use in last resort if I need to pay something in UK and it can't be done by internet banking or whatever.
Old Jan 10th 2018, 1:47 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Cleared 3 UK cheques through OTP a couple of years ago, took about 10 days.
Old Jan 10th 2018, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

Stupid me. I simply assumed that because you can still pay cheques into UK bank accounts that you could here as well.

I am not sure why HMRC would not pay the monies directly in a given bank account. I did ask and was told that they could not. Maybe they want to see into which account and where the cheque is deposited.

I wonder if I should keep it for a little while and try and deposit it into my Chinese bank account on my next trip there.
Old Feb 1st 2018, 5:05 pm
Just Joined

Organicbio is an unknown quantity at this point

BANKS?
I have had 3 accounts since my inception.
1st,OTP? too complicated ex government institution too much bureaucracy.
2nd,Erste,had 1.3 million Forints sent over, they charged me 9,990HUF for it to be paid on to my account and then 9,990HUF when i took it of again.I closed the account!
3rd,I am with K&H and up until now,no problems.
But who knows?? Banks are a necessary evil. I hate them personaly.

O
Old Feb 1st 2018, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

mawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this point

I went over in January for 1 week I manged to set up a Bank account with OTP Banking using online banking for account and was able to make arrangements for Payments for Council Tax Electricity and Water Payments they sed contact them and make arrangements for payments But I believe this will all go Wrong, when returning mid March for Long Stay I will probably find out OTP Bank will not be Able to Set up any Payments in Fact They my Close the Account Down ? Well my Place Zartkert and cant be Register for Living so there for no Postal Address ect. so UPS see watt Happens when I get There ? maybe even Services cut Off ect. digger47
Old Feb 1st 2018, 9:20 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

How bizarre!I have had an OTP account for 5 years now, without any problems at all. For sure they charge me for any services they provide, and why not?
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 7:03 am
Forum Regular

Carrot_Cruncher is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Expatrick
How bizarre!I have had an OTP account for 5 years now, without any problems at all. For sure they charge me for any services they provide, and why not?
Hello all,

i've also had an OTP account for around 3 years and not encountered any problems. In many ways it's superior to what I had back in the UK with Nationwide (although that may well have changed now). I can purchase my motorway toll and top up our mobiles in seconds by phone.

As Expatrick states, yes they charge for services that I didn't have to pay for in the UK while I was in credit, but I've had to change my mindset and just accept it. They are relatively modest charges anyway. I only object to bigger charges if I've miscalculated how much cash to take out above the free withdrawl limit.

Regards,
CC
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Yes all banks here charge accounts directly, unlike the UK but all banks get their profit from customers in some way or another. Whilst here cash withdrawals above 150k huf / month are charged shopping with a debit card is not a chargeable item.
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 7:53 am
BE Enthusiast

mawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this point

I will agree on all be Stated and myself just set up Internet Banking for Utility Invoicing But my biggest Fear now I have found out that I have no Official Address which corresponds to Hungarian Registration Card and unable to Have as it's Zartkert What Will Happen ??? digger47
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

Carrot_Cruncher is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
Whilst here cash withdrawals above 150k huf / month are charged shopping with a debit card is not a chargeable item.
To clarify further, I believe you are allowed two cash withdrawls up to the total of 150k huf / month without charge.

A third, or more, cash withdrawl(s) either within or outside of that limit will result in a charge(s).

Hope that made sense.

CC
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by digger47
I will agree on all be Stated and myself just set up Internet Banking for Utility Invoicing But my biggest Fear now I have found out that I have no Official Address which corresponds to Hungarian Registration Card and unable to Have as it's Zartkert What Will Happen ??? digger47
If you already have the account and the bank have accepted an address for correspondence then I doubt that they would close the account.
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not 100% sure but Zártkert has addresses (it was funny, last year everybody there scrambled to put up those signs xyzutca 99 ... while we in the village proper have only the house number on a plate) and they also have containers for garbage so it should be ok.
What else could be the reason to give them addresses?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.