Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Hungary-Austria road border - How long to get through?

Hungary-Austria road border - How long to get through?

Old Dec 3rd 2015, 3:58 am
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hungary-Austria road border - How long to get through?

I was wondering if anyone has done a drive into Austria (or beyond to Germany) recently or know someone who has and how long it took to pass through the border via the motorway? I am trying to plan a trip to the UK and have to make an estimate of my travel time to Rotterdam for the ferry!

I've done it before and I can do it in two days but as this was before Schengen got suspended I need some indication of how much extra time I need to allow for so ferries can be booked!

(Have a large pile of baby equipment left in the UK which we need now which is nice and we have to get a trip to see relations promptly before my wife is no longer allowed to travel. She will be going by plan I hasten to add so I can push on in the car).
Old Dec 3rd 2015, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hungary-Austria road border - How long to get through?

Last Thursday there was nothing (no passport checks, no police at all) at the Hungarian/Austrian border - but at the Austrian/German border near Salzburg it took me about 20 minutes of very slow driving from the border itself to the German checkpoint.

There were police left and right and a few cars had been taken to a parking site for checks, but 9x% of the cars were just waived through - no passport checks or anything.
A few weeks ago it was similar near Passau - there the extra problem was roadwork so we had all in all an extra 30 minutes to our journey tim.e (checked it on my GPS system - the expected arrival time was 30 min later)
Old Dec 7th 2015, 6:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Update:

On the road again yesterday (Sunday) I regularly listened to the Austrian traffic news - they announced waiting times in the morning of 15 min going up to an hour or more in the late afternoon near Salzburg and around 30 min near Passau.

The longest waiting time was near Kufstein - but that road is probably not on your wy from Hungary to th UK ...
Old Dec 9th 2015, 4:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds fine to be honest. Am considering using the train from Vienna to Dusseldorf as a test run. Thanks for the updates!