Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Hungarian Vehicle Ownership Changes

Hungarian Vehicle Ownership Changes

Old Aug 8th 2023, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hungarian Vehicle Ownership Changes

The funds for our previous car cleared on 31st July 2023. The ownership changes have not yet been made. The new owners took the car last Friday. They asked for the date of change to be delayed until they got a hook up sorted out. The car has been in their garage since last Friday evening. They plan to drive the car this Saturday but ownership has not been updated yet. My wife is the registered owner because at the time we bought it I didn't have a tax card! (Or something along those lines! I forget exactly why).
The car insurance has been sorted out. I'm unsure if we should insist the ownership is done asap. As mentioned they are waiting for a hook up to be fitted and been told it needs to be done within a specified number of days. It does seem a bit of a strange set up.
Old Aug 9th 2023, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hungarian Vehicle Ownership Changes

I have since found out the ownership details need to be updated within 15 days but it still concerns me that the new owners plan to drive their new car on Saturday when no one has arranged to go to the relevant office to update everything.
My wife will have to liaise with them to do it asap.
Old Aug 9th 2023, 8:45 am
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

I would not worry about it as long as they have paid your for the car... If you have the completed form copies to change the ownership signed by the other party with all their identity details and the insurance policy has been established by the new owners your good to go in the event something happens. When I sold my car last year the other party purchased insurance coverage the same day they took the car and I had a refund check from Generali within a week for the unused premium for coverage..
Old Aug 9th 2023, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever
I would not worry about it as long as they have paid your for the car... If you have the completed form copies to change the ownership signed by the other party with all their identity details and the insurance policy has been established by the new owners your good to go in the event something happens. When I sold my car last year the other party purchased insurance coverage the same day they took the car and I had a refund check from Generali within a week for the unused premium for coverage..
I'm with Generali too.
Old Aug 10th 2023, 4:13 am
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

There's no way I would have released the car until the documents have been FULLY completed. That way you can head to the kormányablak and submit your 2 copies. Any issues that might arise after that it new owner's problem.
Old Aug 10th 2023, 5:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by PaulinEger
There's no way I would have released the car until the documents have been FULLY completed. That way you can head to the kormányablak and submit your 2 copies. Any issues that might arise after that it new owner's problem.
The documents have been fully completed awaiting the date to be added and submitted to the kormányablak.

My Generali insurance guy is the new buyers son. I told my wife yesterday if anything happened she is still the registered owner. If something went wrong the repercussions are not going to be good. I do have knowledge of English law having covered it in my accounting studies. I don't think there's much difference with Hungarian law. The son knows his parents are driving to his home on Saturday in the new car.

I'm going to be praying nothing happens. Should anything happen it will be a short sharp lesson for those who think I'm wrong when I'm absolutely right! I have had some arguments when the Hungarian side refutes what I have said and is correct according to my research! I get incredibly frustrated when this happens.
Old Aug 10th 2023, 6:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenTiger
The documents have been fully completed awaiting the date to be added and submitted to the kormányablak.

My Generali insurance guy is the new buyers son. I told my wife yesterday if anything happened she is still the registered owner. If something went wrong the repercussions are not going to be good. I do have knowledge of English law having covered it in my accounting studies. I don't think there's much difference with Hungarian law. The son knows his parents are driving to his home on Saturday in the new car.

I'm going to be praying nothing happens. Should anything hap wpen it will be a short sharp lesson for those who think I'm wrong when I'm absolutely right! I have had some arguments when the Hungarian side refutes what I have said and is correct according to my research! I get incredibly frustrated when this happens.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but surely in Hungary it's the car that's insured not the driver? My son always drive my car when he's over. He also drove it twice to the UK and back plus using the car for 6 month whilst in the UK.

Just asking!
Old Aug 10th 2023, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sachina
Correct me if I'm wrong, but surely in Hungary it's the car that's insured not the driver? My son always drive my car when he's over. He also drove it twice to the UK and back plus using the car for 6 month whilst in the UK.

Just asking!
I hope the new owners don't think they are driving on our insurance because from our perspective our insurance ended Friday 4th August 23:59.
Old Aug 10th 2023, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sachina

Just asking!
Not quite
Only the registered owner (or registered user) can insure a car and the insurance co. take the usual account of the owner e.g. age, no claims bonus, location where the vehicle is kept etc. -much the same as the UK. BUT all car insurance here is any driver.
Old Aug 10th 2023, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
Not quite
Only the registered owner (or registered user) can insure a car and the insurance co. take the usual account of the owner e.g. age, no claims bonus, location where the vehicle is kept etc. -much the same as the UK. BUT all car insurance here is any driver.
Thanks for clearing that up. I wasn't quiite sure how exactly it worked.
Old Aug 10th 2023, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Not quite
I've decided to put the cat amongst the pigeons by asking insurance guy if our Suzuki car insurance has been cancelled. If it hasn't .... oops .... New owners are driving it on our car insurance. We never agreed to that.

Note: just received message insurance has been cancelled. I'll be checking the date.
Old Aug 10th 2023, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

In addition to above the new owners will go to Miskolc next week with my wife who is the registered owner. I have explained the situation to my wife and she has said they said everything will be fine.
It seems strange how the new owners have been able to insure the car without the relevant documents being submitted! If effective date of cancellation of my Suzuki insurance is not Friday 4th/Saturday 5th August then I will have to liaise with their son and new owner's about this as we never agreed they could drive the Suzuki on our insurance. God forbid if there's an accident!
We have a very good friend (not deaf) in the village so I might contact him for advice.
Old Aug 10th 2023, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Note: just received message insurance has been cancelled. I'll be checking the date.
Its all sounding a bit strange.
Do you have a contract of sale - signed and dated? (do you, as the seller, need to submit any paperwork? if so you should do this Asap) If not then you might have problems if anything happens and you own an uninsured car on the road. - Never mind anything happening the number plate recognition can / will pick up uninsured or no mot cars and I believe some police cars have these on line.

Above you said that the buyer wanted to delay the paperwork until a hook up was available - Do you mean a tow bar? If so I don't understand why this would need a delay, other than perhaps a tow bar needs an up date of the log book (and a new MOT) and perhaps they wanted to do this all at once to save a few fts.
Old Aug 10th 2023, 12:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

In addition to above the new owners will go to Miskolc next week with my wife who is the registered owner. I have explained the situation to my wife and she has said they said everything will be fine.
It seems strange how the new owners have been able to insure the car without the relevant documents being submitted! If effective date of cancellation of my Suzuki insurance is not Friday 4th/Saturday 5th August then I will have to liaise with their son and new owner's about this as we never agreed they could drive the Suzuki on our insurance. God forbid if there's an accident!
We have a very good friend (not deaf) in the village so I might contact him for advice.
Have you done the obvious and asked your friend and his son if they have insured the car and from what date? Until you do it's all speculation on your part.
Old Aug 10th 2023, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Its all sounding a bit strange.
Do you have a contract of sale - signed and dated? (do you, as the seller, need to submit any paperwork? if so you should do this Asap) If not then you might have problems if anything happens and you own an uninsured car on the road. - Never mind anything happening the number plate recognition can / will pick up uninsured or no mot cars and I believe some police cars have these on line.

Above you said that the buyer wanted to delay the paperwork until a hook up was available - Do you mean a tow bar? If so I don't understand why this would need a delay, other than perhaps a tow bar needs an up date of the log book (and a new MOT) and perhaps they wanted to do this all at once to save a few fts.
I did wonder about something in writing about a contract of sale. That's what my law studies would insist on. The son was leading the way on the new buyers side. We do have emails and FB Messages on the price to be agreed.
Hook up - yes, a tow bar. Absolutely spot on about saving a few forints .... I kept thinking .... get it registered as soon as possible then sort out the tow bar.
Our Suzuki car insurance was cancelled 5th August 2023 and money will be refunded. Unfortunately, I think this has complicated things with the owner yet to be submitted! Their insurance started 4th August.
When the proceeds came through I noted they omitted to add something to the Reference field!
I feel sorry for my wife because she's caught up in the middle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.