Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Hungarian Rules and Regs to operate Burger Van?

Hungarian Rules and Regs to operate Burger Van?

Old Jan 27th 2017, 11:21 am
Just Joined

SueinHullUK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hungarian Rules and Regs to operate Burger Van?

My husband is keen to set up a Burger Van business in Hungary and we need to find out what licences and permissions we require. Has anyone got any advice? Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 27th 2017, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

Szeged is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hungarian Rules and Regs to operate Burger Van?

Depends on whether or not he wants to be self-employed (sole-trader) or limited company, Hungarian based or UK based, for example. I.e. Would he be a UK limited company working (doing business) in Hungary or would he be solely a Hungarian business? You need to look at the tax implications for both, by consulting a Hungarian lawyer and accountant. There is also the double tax avenue to explore.

NOTE: There are many Hungarian lawyers and accountants in the UK (namely London!) who know the laws etc of Hungary and can therefore advise. In other words, you do not always need to be in Hungary to enquire about business matters.
Old Jan 28th 2017, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Generally speaking you pay tax where the work is done, (unlike property income which is taxed in the location of the property). If you are living here permanently (ref other thread) then you will need to get your residency sorted (if you haven't already done so) so that you can pay the NI. The NI is a lot more complicated than the tax, and for this you will need an accountants advice to understand the options and choose the best for you. The lawyer will be needed to set up a company (if that is the route you choose)

Apart from the tax and NI there is also the health authorities to sort out for both you and the vehicle. In Hungary I can't remember seeing a fast food van, they are usually purpose built trailers. I suspect because it works out cheaper than running the fast food van and a family car.

A very quick dip into the internet showed a second hand trailer for about 9k and you could rent something for 600 a month (not burgers, but lángos (google it!)) If you want to do burgers then if you buy second hand and modify it you will need to get it passed by the health authorities, the same as if you get new.

BTW do any of you speak Hungarian? it is going to be a bit of a struggle if someone doesn't.
Old Jan 28th 2017, 10:24 am
Just Joined

SueinHullUK is an unknown quantity at this point

Good Morning and thanks for the replies.
@szeged, my husband would be self employed (as he is here in the UK), we have an accountant for that business. Useful to know there are Hungarian lawyers in the capital. Will pursue that avenue I think. Thanks.
@ Peter thanks for all your advice. As we are not actually there yet, applying for residency will happen when we move. Perhaps it will take alot longer to sort the tax, NI and health issues out and in the long run won't be viable. Just wanted to make some enquiries through this informative forum before jumping in!! We speak very little Hungarian at the moment but are learning as fast as we can. Dealing with British red tape is hard enough, and we don't actually NEED to work in Hungary. But you know "once a businessman always a businessman". Have a good day. :-)