Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Hungarian Property Price increases

Hungarian Property Price increases

Old Jun 12th 2022, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hungarian Property Price increases

Interesting reading. Latest is December 2021 21%. Will be interesting what March 2022 and June 2022.
https://www.ceicdata.com/en/indicator/hungary/house-prices-growth
Surprised UK house price increase only 11%.

https://dailynewshungary.com/hungary-has-seen-the-biggest-increase-in-real-estate-prices-in-the-eu/

Last edited by FenTiger; Jun 12th 2022 at 9:49 am.
Old Jun 12th 2022, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

ecurb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hungarian Property Price increases

The only trouble is, if I sold my house in Hungary ( Free standing detach on 700+ sqm), I would not be able to buy a house like that in the England with the money I got from my Hungarian house. Especially with the current HUF/GBP exchange rate. Still it is nice to have a multi million (HUF that is) house in Hungary.
Old Jun 12th 2022, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

klarika will become famous soon enoughklarika will become famous soon enough

Still better value in Hungary.
Old Jun 12th 2022, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ecurb
The only trouble is, if I sold my house in Hungary ( Free standing detach on 700+ sqm), I would not be able to buy a house like that in the England with the money I got from my Hungarian house. Especially with the current HUF/GBP exchange rate. Still it is nice to have a multi million (HUF that is) house in Hungary.
Same with me. At the end of the day a house is only worth so much if you sold it. No way could I afford similar house I live in with same size plot anywhere in England, even with my old UK house proceeds.
Old Jun 12th 2022, 5:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by klarika
Still better value in Hungary.
Agree with you. I live in a village, 20 minutes walk to a lakeside beach with bar, restaurant, changing rooms, showers, toilets. It's safe and secure and as I'm a resident in the village it's free. There's nothing like that in UK.
Old Jun 14th 2022, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

xavierx is an unknown quantity at this point

In 2019, I was almost ready to buy a house in my area (North-West UK) that had been for sale for 13 years for £350k
It was a 3 bed semi with half an acre of land and a very large shed.

Then covid happened

Now I can't find anything in my area with even a quarter of an acre for under £700k (which I could never afford if I worked till I was 100)

There is literally nothing I can buy in the UK now. Sure you can buy one of those tiny copy/paste houses with a 20 foot garden and barely enough space to part a smart car around the front for £300k, but I would rather live in a battery hen cage than that.

I so desperately need space it's driving me insane.

Not long now till my Hungary house hunting trip

Last edited by xavierx; Jun 14th 2022 at 2:03 pm.
Old Jun 24th 2022, 10:50 am
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

My house insurance company have just sent me a notice that my policy is now 10 years old and should be updated.
The present policy is for the original purchase price of 26 million forints, they suggest the correct present day valuation should be 104 million. So a 4 fold increase in value, which as everybody else has pointed out means absolutely nothing!

Still wouldn't buy a garden shed in the UK, not that I could afford to go back there and live on my pension.
A quick Google reveals Turkey has the worlds cheapest property, Italy and perhaps oddly America also rate very low, so I could always move to one of those if the urge ever needs scratching.
But for now I am still happy rattling around in my ridiculously oversized house.
Old Jun 24th 2022, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

I don't know much about Italy, but Turkey would be significantly less civilised. Plenty of nice places in America, and I spent a lot of time looking into that, but it is almost impossible for a UK citizen to get permanent residence in America. UK citizens are pretty much the only people in the world that are not allowed to apply for the green card lottery. Aparently they do this as we are not "diverse" enough. Obviously whoever made that rule has never been to Rotherham

I can't wait to be rattling round in a ridiculously oversized house, nothing would make me happier right now
Old Jun 24th 2022, 12:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xavierx
I don't know much about Italy, but Turkey would be significantly less civilised. Plenty of nice places in America, and I spent a lot of time looking into that, but it is almost impossible for a UK citizen to get permanent residence in America. UK citizens are pretty much the only people in the world that are not allowed to apply for the green card lottery. Aparently they do this as we are not "diverse" enough. Obviously whoever made that rule has never been to Rotherham

I can't wait to be rattling round in a ridiculously oversized house, nothing would make me happier right now
I don't get the obsession with oversized houses. In Ireland we have a relatively small house 140m2 on a 3000m2 plot, but even that is a lot of work and the larger the house the more costs you have + nobody is getting younger. I'd be perfectly happy with a smaller house as long as it's detached with decent sized garden, unfortunately it's hard to find. If we sold up here (house is probably worth €300K now) we wouldn't get much for our money in the places we like. We did end up buying a cheap small plot of land (600m2) in Spain and built a smaller house which is a 2nd home, but even that is more than enough. Every year I get older, I understand that more. There is an older guy not far from us with a huge castle and it's falling apart now and doesn't have the money to maintain it.

Last edited by Moses2013; Jun 24th 2022 at 12:37 pm.
Old Jun 24th 2022, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

I hate feeling cramped up all the time, I can't stand that British houses are so small, and not only that, so close to the neighbours, no separation.

Both myself and my wife have our own hobbies and collections that we just don't have the space to fully enjoy.

Honestly, nothing would make me happier than having space and one of the places that can make this a reality for me is Hungary. I'm looking at houses of 400-600m2 or combined house + business premises of 1000m2+
Old Jun 24th 2022, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Moses2013
I don't get the obsession with oversized houses. In Ireland we have a relatively small house 140m2 on a 3000m2 plot, but even that is a lot of work and the larger the house the more costs you have + nobody is getting younger. I'd be perfectly happy with a smaller house as long as it's detached with decent sized garden, unfortunately it's hard to find. If we sold up here (house is probably worth €300K now) we wouldn't get much for our money in the places we like. We did end up buying a cheap small plot of land (600m2) in Spain and built a smaller house which is a 2nd home, but even that is more than enough. Every year I get older, I understand that more. There is an older guy not far from us with a huge castle and it's falling apart now and doesn't have the money to maintain it.
Our Hungarian two bedroomed house is 100m2 on a 620m2 plot. For just two of us it's the perfect size. Ideally, I'd like a bigger garden but in the long term our garden size is best for us. Mother-in-law property is 2,000m2 with house size 70m2. We lived in that for a year!!!!
We're currently having a 40 m2 raised terrace built. Yup, it's really dragging on! Took a while to get the project rubber stamped.

Last edited by FenTiger; Jun 24th 2022 at 1:18 pm.
Old Jun 24th 2022, 1:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

I hate feeling cramped up all the time, I can't stand that British houses are so small, and not only that, so close to the neighbours, no separation.

Both myself and my wife have our own hobbies and collections that we just don't have the space to fully enjoy.

Honestly, nothing would make me happier than having space and one of the places that can make this a reality for me is Hungary. I'm looking at houses of 400-600m2 or combined house + business premises of 1000m2+
400-600m2 .... do you mean plot size? 400-600m2 for a house would be huge ....
Old Jun 24th 2022, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by FenTiger
400-600m2 .... do you mean plot size? 400-600m2 for a house would be huge ....
House size. I would like at least 1 acre (4000m2) of land, but house size is the most important thing.

I know most normal people probably think that's mad, but then they have probably not spent their lives collecting as much junk as me (it's not actually junk )
Old Jun 24th 2022, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

House size. I would like at least 1 acre (4000m2) of land, but house size is the most important thing.

I know most normal people probably think that's mad, but then they have probably not spent their lives collecting as much junk as me (it's not actually junk )
In a house as big as 400 m2 I'd probably not see my wife all day! If one of us was looking for each other it'd take all day! I'd probably have to use the 'Find my phone' app to locate where my wife is.
Old Jun 24th 2022, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by FenTiger
In a house as big as 400 m2 I'd probably not see my wife all day! If one of us was looking for each other it'd take all day! I'd probably have to use the 'Find my phone' app to locate where my wife is.
Maybe that's why I want it ?

I'm only kidding, I'm not trying to avoid my wife.

I think it's a British thing to think that something like that is too big. An American probably has 100m2 just for storing food

I once stayed in a cheap off-the-strip hotel in Las Vegas and our suit was 204m2

I think spending time in America has made me realise how much nicer it is to have space, they have trailer park homes that are bigger than my house

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.