Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Hungarian Passport Options

Hungarian Passport Options

Old Apr 1st 2018, 9:26 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hungarian Passport Options

Originally Posted by FenTiger
Victoria? Do you mean the Hungarian embassy?
Szeged is referring to the HM Passport Office in Victoria which offers a premium same day processing option.
Old Apr 1st 2018, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

Szeged is an unknown quantity at this point

Correct! In the Victoria, London (UK) passport office there is a premium service whereby you can pay to get a new passport issued (i.e. renewed) on that same day (i.e. go in at 10am and collect it before 4pm). The passport office in Budapest has a similar service.

My HU Wife is doing similar in a couple of months. She will fly to Budapest on her maiden name passport (current Hungarian passport) to get that passport changed into my surname (i.e. her new married name). This is because she first had to wait for the Hungarian embassy in London (UK) to issue her with a Hungarian marriage certificate acknowledging our English wedding in January. It took until March just to get that London embassy appointment! And even then they had to send her address card, our English wedding certificate, etc to Hungary. Now she has the Hungarian marriage certificate, she is waiting the return of her new married name address card to be sent from Hungary to the London embassy. Only then will they fully acknowledge her new married name.

If she were to have her new married name passport created via the London embassy, which would be made in Hungary!, it would take months to get the London embassy appointment and months to get the new passport; hence why she is going to do the one day service in Budapest.

As always: It is a long, slow, complex process where Hungarian/English paperwork and translation is concerned/needed.
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Szeged
Correct! In the Victoria, London (UK) passport office there is a premium service whereby you can pay to get a new passport issued (i.e. renewed) on that same day (i.e. go in at 10am and collect it before 4pm). The passport office in Budapest has a similar service.
I've told my wife about this but as she has already handed over everything is now waiting for new passport to arrive. Should be back end of May (2018 of course!).

I'm beginning to think prior to moving over and once I'm in Hungary this forum will be where I'll find out everything!
Old Apr 25th 2018, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Wife just got back from Hungarian Embassy with new passport which is same size as old one. She's over the mood, didn't want the credit card sized one or is this actually the ID card?
Old Apr 25th 2018, 12:16 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Wife just got back from Hungarian Embassy with new passport which is same size as old one. She's over the mood, didn't want the credit card sized one or is this actually the ID card?
There's the credit card sized ID card and the standard B7 sized passport booklet. I wasn't aware that Hungary issues a passport card.
Old Apr 25th 2018, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

The credit card sized one is the ID card, required for all Hungarians resident in Hungary and has to be carried. When they expire they are free and quick to renew. The ID card is good for travel anywhere in the EU including the UK (until brexit, then anyones guess)
Old Apr 25th 2018, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

Szeged is an unknown quantity at this point

....and then she told you "You see, if you leave everything to the last minute as I told you, it still gets done!".......leaving you no future arguing power to get things done early Yet another side of the Hungarian character
Old Apr 25th 2018, 3:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Szeged
....and then she told you "You see, if you leave everything to the last minute as I told you, it still gets done!".......leaving you no future arguing power to get things done early Yet another side of the Hungarian character
I must have some Hungarian in me - I always leave everything to the last minute, drives my Wife mad (actually it works both ways, for example, a week before going on holiday she'll say "let's start packing" - NO!).
Old Apr 25th 2018, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ah I see ..... to all postings above.
Expatrick - you had me

We usually lay our stuff out in one of the spare bedrooms and then slowly remove what we realise we're not likely to wear but then more stuff gets added, especially gifts for the family when we are flying to Hungary!

Passport/ID - I never carry my passport whenever I'm in Hungary although I do carry my driving licence which should suffice for identification who I am. My Hungarian relatives never suggest I carry anything on me when we go out and also I doubt my Hungarian wife carries anything ....

Next stage for my wife is consider getting a British Passport. My main concern for her to get one is that although an earlier Hungarian passport was stamped 'indefinite leave' who knows once we move over to Hungary to live as permanent residents and she decides she wants to return to the Uk to live after I drop dead (or if she divorces me before that happens) she won't have a problem. I don't think this will happen.

Last edited by FenTiger; Apr 25th 2018 at 4:10 pm.
Old Apr 25th 2018, 4:15 pm

Ah I see ..... to all postings above.
Expatrick - you had me

We usually lay our stuff out in one of the spare bedrooms and then slowly remove what we realise we're not likely to wear but then more stuff gets added, especially gifts for the family when we are flying to Hungary!

Passport/ID - I never carry my passport whenever I'm in Hungary although I do carry my driving licence which should suffice for identification who I am. My Hungarian relatives never suggest I carry anything on me when we go out and also I doubt my Hungarian wife carries anything ....

Next stage for my wife is consider getting a British Passport. My main concern for her to get one is that although an earlier Hungarian passport was stamped 'indefinite leave' who knows once we move over to Hungary to live as permanent residents and she decides she wants to return to the Uk to live after I drop dead (or if she divorces me before that happens) she won't have a problem. I don't think this will happen.
Indefinite Leave to Remain expires after two years' absence, as some of the Windrush generation are finding out to their cost. Apply for her British citizenship as soon as possible; Hungary permits dual nationality and you never know if and when you may wish to return together.
Old Apr 25th 2018, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Indefinite Leave to Remain expires after two years' absence, as some of the Windrush generation are finding out to their cost. Apply for her British citizenship as soon as possible; Hungary permits dual nationality and you never know if and when you may wish to return together.
Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely push her to apply. I think it would also be a good idea for tax reasons if I die before her because I'm certain as a non-British national she would have to pay tax on anything which passes to her. I wonder if she will be protected if we have a joint bank account?
Old Apr 25th 2018, 4:49 pm

Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely push her to apply. I think it would also be a good idea for tax reasons if I die before her because I'm certain as a non-British national she would have to pay tax on anything which passes to her. I wonder if she will be protected if we have a joint bank account?
I don't think that's correct if you're talking about UK inheritance tax but either way I would encourage you to persuade her. A Hungarian ex-colleague of mine didn't bother sorting out her British citizenship before moving back shortly before the Brexit vote, thinking it wasn't worth it, but now bitterly regrets it.
Old Apr 25th 2018, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BritInParis
I don't think that's correct if you're talking about UK inheritance tax but either way I would encourage you to persuade her. A Hungarian ex-colleague of mine didn't bother sorting out her British citizenship before moving back shortly before the Brexit vote, thinking it wasn't worth it, but now bitterly regrets it.
Yes, I was thinking of inheritance tax. Brexit will certainly change some rules unless it's included in any negotiations.
Old Apr 25th 2018, 6:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I was thinking of inheritance tax. Brexit will certainly change some rules unless it's included in any negotiations.
For IHT it is domicile that counts not residency
Domicile is messy!!
If she is Hungarian (born in Hungary with a Hungarian father her domicile of origin will be Hungary and the Hungarian IHT rules apply in the event of her death. For you the same thing will apply just substitute British for Hungarian.
Domicile of choice can alter things (changes your domicile after living in another country for some years) and then the UK has a deemed domicile rule to catch people who live abroad but maintain a presence (e.g. a rented out house) in the UK as a way of getting more IHT.
If you have assets in both countries then it is best to have two wills, one for the assets in one country and the other covering the other country and worldwide assets. If you die without a will and you are under Hungarian rules then this is no real problem, do the same for the UK and those left behind will have real problems (and expense).

I don't see Brexit changing things because the IHT etc. rules are not EU rules but national regs.
Old Apr 25th 2018, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
For IHT it is domicile that counts not residency
Domicile is messy!!
If she is Hungarian (born in Hungary with a Hungarian father her domicile of origin will be Hungary and the Hungarian IHT rules apply in the event of her death. For you the same thing will apply just substitute British for Hungarian.
Domicile of choice can alter things (changes your domicile after living in another country for some years) and then the UK has a deemed domicile rule to catch people who live abroad but maintain a presence (e.g. a rented out house) in the UK as a way of getting more IHT.
If you have assets in both countries then it is best to have two wills, one for the assets in one country and the other covering the other country and worldwide assets. If you die without a will and you are under Hungarian rules then this is no real problem, do the same for the UK and those left behind will have real problems (and expense).

I don't see Brexit changing things because the IHT etc. rules are not EU rules but national regs.
Both of us have a UK Will ..... we will definitely sort out a Hungarian Will ... probably before we move over so our estate is protected in both Uk and Hungary. Our Will Executors know where the Will is so should any of my "rotten" Uk family attempt to seize any of my estate .... the Will will deny them!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.