Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Hungarian Passport Options

Hungarian Passport Options

Old Mar 14th 2018, 6:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hungarian Passport Options

GSD ? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSD
Old Mar 15th 2018, 9:09 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
German Shepherd Dog
Old Mar 26th 2018, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
If she is Hungarian she can have an ID card (as far as I know). Ask at the embassy.
I found out last week a Hungarian colleague has a Hungarian ID card despite the fact she does not live in Hungary. She does own a flat there. I think she'd found a way to bypass the system.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 5:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

I think she might have to consider applying for a British Passport. She might get it quicker. I'm sure she will fly through the British Citizenship test.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 8:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenTiger
I found out last week a Hungarian colleague has a Hungarian ID card despite the fact she does not live in Hungary. She does own a flat there. I think she'd found a way to bypass the system.
If she owns a flat here then she can have an address here - which would give her the right to an ID card.
Old Mar 27th 2018, 5:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Wife got email from Hungarian embassy suggesting she keeps an eye on any appointment cancellations but I think the clock is already ticking. Might have to sell her ticket. Plus cancel dogs boarding kennels and lose £100 deposit :-( .
My work colleague also said my wife should be able to renew her passport within a week in Budapest but I can't find anything about this on the Hungarian website.. My wife's sister said there's only one system for renewing passports, no fast tracking!
Old Mar 27th 2018, 7:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

When my son got a passport for his 1 year old daughter it took about 2 weeks from the local office. Apparently ID cards take about the same amount of time. It would seem that the long time needed is down to doing the job through an embassy abroad.
Old Mar 27th 2018, 7:57 am
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

May I remind you again that imho the EU rules are that an EU passport can still be used (inside the EU) up to one year after its official date!
I know this goes for German passports.
Be aware that a Hungarian travel document gives right of entry into Hungary only if it is still valid or has been expired for less than one year.
https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...y/index_en.htm
Old Mar 27th 2018, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by wolfi
May I remind you again that imho the EU rules are that an EU passport can still be used (inside the EU) up to one year after its official date!
I know this goes for German passports.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...y/index_en.htm
Will she be able to come back into the UK?

Obviously we will have to check with the airline!
Old Mar 27th 2018, 11:34 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

May I remind the honourable gentlemen of my post #10!

No matter what an airline (or immigration) official may tell you up front, the odds on an airline allowing you to board are very low indeed!

Last edited by scrubbedexpat142; Mar 27th 2018 at 11:41 am.
Old Mar 27th 2018, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Check with Border Force for coming back in - not the airline as it is Border Force that do entry into the UK. The airline only check IDs on the way out to see that the person who bought the ticket is the one travelling. AFAIK the UK immigration still do no checks on exit.
It would also be worth checking that the Hungarian end will let her in.

Oh and get the replies in writing and carry them with you because you can bet that the left hand won't know what the right hand has said! (and have a copy of the regs as well)
Old Mar 27th 2018, 11:38 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

AFAIK the UK immigration still do no checks on exit.
Yes they do!
Old Mar 28th 2018, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Wife is on the way home from the Hungarian embassy. She got a cancellation appointment on the website. Bit of a panick when she went in because her name wasn't on the list but she presented an email confirming her appointment. Phew. Now wait for it to be processed. Wife said 5 - 7 weeks so when it should be ready 6-7 weeks before we fly out.
Old Mar 29th 2018, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

Szeged is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to clarify - The budapest passport office has a one-day service that you pay for (same as in Victoria, London, UK), so you could fly to budapest before your passport expires and renew on the day you visit the passport office.
Old Apr 1st 2018, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Szeged
Just to clarify - The budapest passport office has a one-day service that you pay for (same as in Victoria, London, UK), so you could fly to budapest before your passport expires and renew on the day you visit the passport office.
Victoria? Do you mean the Hungarian embassy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.