Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Hungarian driving license

Hungarian driving license

Old Mar 13th 2013, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

Steak is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hungarian driving license

Dose anyone no if My friend can do his driving test in Hungary and what will be the process he is Irish ? Been looking on the net but can only find answers to none European persons thanks in advance steak
Old Mar 13th 2013, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hungarian driving license

He would probably find it easier to do it in Ireland. I have heard rumours that the testers in Hungary are corrupt and they automatically fail you unless you bribe them. I have a Hungarian licence but it was just converted from my UK one so I didn't do any tests apart from a medical.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

What's wrong with taking a driving test in Ireland, that is if he lives there? Plus why can't he find out this information himself?

Last edited by FenTiger; Mar 13th 2013 at 6:10 pm.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 7:28 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

I think the rumour of them all being corrupt is akin to the rumour that all police take bribes and all doctors take gratuity payments. Yes it does happen but it's not as prevalent as some make out.

Regards sitting the test, unless your friend speaks fluent Hungarian, I wouldn't bother trying. I know the waiting lists in Ireland can be horrendous, last time I heard, I think it was about 18 months! Even so, I wouldn't attempt it here and would assume that you have to be resident in Hungary to apply and then there are a certain number of lessons you must have before being allowed to sit the test.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 1:45 am
Forum Regular

He dosent live in ireland fen tiger and as i am a member on here and have had good information of the people on here before i thought i whuld ask on here for him i hope thats ok with you ? lol it whuld save time and money doing in hungary it seems to be the most logical choice as rural said the waiting time is horrendous back there plus it whuld mean a trip back to and a stay in ireland and thats not the way he is heading ,,,
Old Mar 14th 2013, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steak
He dosent live in ireland fen tiger and as i am a member on here and have had good information of the people on here before i thought i whuld ask on here for him i hope thats ok with you ? lol it whuld save time and money doing in hungary it seems to be the most logical choice as rural said the waiting time is horrendous back there plus it whuld mean a trip back to and a stay in ireland and thats not the way he is heading ,,,
Ah, now I see where you're coming from. I have no idea how easy or hard it is but my two Hungarian nephews passed in their teens. Last year travelling in the car with one of them one he seemed pretty confident but the road conditions were quite a test on his experience.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

In a perfect world a bribe whuld be perfect lol
Old Mar 14th 2013, 6:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Steak
In a perfect world a bribe whuld be perfect lol
I'd rather see drivers on the road who have passed their test without a bribe! That way it means they have actually passed and are at the appropriate standard! I wouldn't be happy if a "bribed" passer crashes into my car when I am in Hungary.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 6:50 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenTiger
I'd rather see drivers on the road who have passed their test without a bribe! That way it means they have actually passed and are at the appropriate standard! I wouldn't be happy if a "bribed" passer crashes into my car when I am in Hungary.
Have to agree on that one. The more I think about it, the more I'm sure it's somewhat exaggerated as I have always found Hungarian drivers to be extremely competent - even the boy racers (all bar one who I had a road rage exchange with in Siofok but that's another story, perhaps he had bought his license??).
Old Mar 15th 2013, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

I would agree that Hungarian drivers are in general of a good and competent level.

One difference here is that when taking the test your instructor still sits in the front seat, with the examiner sitting in the back.
This only came to light when an ex-girlfriend explained her instructor had twitched his fingers on his thigh, out of sight of the examiner, when she needed to turn the wheel during her reverse parking part of the test. She passed.

The only risky drivers in Hungary are the doddery old fools, but the same applies to just about any country.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

Mike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by duztee
I would agree that Hungarian drivers are in general of a good and competent level.

One difference here is that when taking the test your instructor still sits in the front seat, with the examiner sitting in the back.
This only came to light when an ex-girlfriend explained her instructor had twitched his fingers on his thigh, out of sight of the examiner, when she needed to turn the wheel during her reverse parking part of the test. She passed.

The only risky drivers in Hungary are the doddery old fools, but the same applies to just about any country.
We all get old,may be doddery and probably a little foolish!!
Old Mar 15th 2013, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

What my Hungarian brother-in-law used to do when he was driving is unprintable here! Whenever I am in Hungary I do note that alot of Hungarian drivers make or take calls on their mobiles, more than in the UK.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by duztee

For a split second I thought you had said ' .. her instructor had caroused her thigh .... out of sight of the examiner'! Sorry, I've become corrupted having watched too many 'Confessions of a .......' films!
Old Mar 15th 2013, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

Agree about the 'phones Fen.

Makes me wonder how I managed to get through childhood and all my teens, twenties and thirties without one! But I did and I don't think I missed them not having been invented then.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenTiger
What my Hungarian brother-in-law used to do when he was driving is unprintable here! Whenever I am in Hungary I do note that alot of Hungarian drivers make or take calls on their mobiles, more than in the UK.
I would have said it was about the same as UK for mobile phone use when driving but possibly the part of Scotland where I was living is not representative of the country as a whole, as we had far less speed cameras and "Big Brother" type cameras. In Scotland it was mainly the white van men who did this and it seems to be a similar pattern here.