Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Hungarian Driving Licence Categories

Hungarian Driving Licence Categories

Old Sep 17th 2020, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hungarian Driving Licence Categories

Just got back from changing UK driving licence to HU. I got a bit stumped when being asked which driving category. Or maybe I was asked if all categories A, B and/or BE.
Looking at my UK driving licence I can drive vehicles within AM, A, B1, B, C1, D1, BE, C1E, D1E, f, k, l, n, p, q categories. My new HU driving licence will be for A and B. No idea why BE not included as it's within category 1 fitness requirements. I'm not bothered because I've no plans to drive a minibus and carry eight passengers next two years.
According to the fitness to drive certificate I will need another medical exam in two years time! Surely, that's for category 2 vehicles and my next medical exam should be three years.
Old Sep 17th 2020, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hungarian Driving Licence Categories

Originally Posted by FenTiger
Just got back from changing UK driving licence to HU. I got a bit stumped when being asked which driving category. Or maybe I was asked if all categories A, B and/or BE.
Looking at my UK driving licence I can drive vehicles within AM, A, B1, B, C1, D1, BE, C1E, D1E, f, k, l, n, p, q categories. My new HU driving licence will be for A and B. No idea why BE not included as it's within category 1 fitness requirements. I'm not bothered because I've no plans to drive a minibus and carry eight passengers next two years.
According to the fitness to drive certificate I will need another medical exam in two years time! Surely, that's for category 2 vehicles and my next medical exam should be three years.
I renewed my Hungarian driving license about three weeks ago and it's for categories AM BE CIE and DIE.

I think I'm correct in saying you only need a medical certificate when the three years is up and you need to renew it again.
Old Sep 17th 2020, 5:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sachina
I renewed my Hungarian driving license about three weeks ago and it's for categories AM BE CIE and DIE.

I think I'm correct in saying you only need a medical certificate when the three years is up and you need to renew it again.
Deaf and disabled people must have a medical exam. All our deaf friends here have had one every couple of years.

You're brave to drive a vehicle under the D1E category! Did you used to drive a tank?
Old Sep 17th 2020, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

Benny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond repute

H is for Tracked Vehicles (tanks come under this as well as some plant)
B+E is for car and trailer, B is car and E is trailer.
D1E is mini-bus and trailer

Last edited by Benny Kovacs; Sep 17th 2020 at 5:29 pm.
Old Sep 17th 2020, 5:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

Deaf and disabled people must have a medical exam. All our deaf friends here have had one every couple of years.

You're brave to drive a vehicle under the D1E category! Did you used to drive a tank?
I have driven a petrol tanker but only round the company yard! Actually, the DIE category was a mistake made by the UK Licencing Office some 50 odd years ago and only once has it ever been queried.

Are you going to apply for a disability sticker? Not that anyone bothers that I can see because there are usually plenty of disabled parking spaces in Miskolc. I used them when I was hobbling around with a stick and still do at my local Spar when the dogs are in the car because they're the only spaces that are in the shade.
Old Sep 17th 2020, 5:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Benny Kovacs
https://www.licencecheck.co.uk/drivi...nd%207%2C500kg.

What Category Codes Do I Have On My Driving Licence?

Old Sep 17th 2020, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

I have driven a petrol tanker but only round the company yard! Actually, the DIE category was a mistake made by the UK Licencing Office some 50 odd years ago and only once has it ever been queried.

Are you going to apply for a disability sticker? Not that anyone bothers that I can see because there are usually plenty of disabled parking spaces in Miskolc. I used them when I was hobbling around with a stick and still do at my local Spar when the dogs are in the car because they're the only spaces that are in the shade.
Deaf people can't get the Disabled blue badge unless they have other disabilities.
Old Sep 17th 2020, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Benny Kovacs
I'll have to have a think about whether to go back and get it changed. Could be risky for me to drive with a trailer! Not sure if I could get away with it if the rendorseg stop me.
Old Sep 18th 2020, 6:02 am
BE Enthusiast

I'll have to have a think about whether to go back and get it changed. Could be risky for me to drive with a trailer! Not sure if I could get away with it if the rendorseg stop me.
They should have given you a receipt and a paper with your photo that they took and all the details, (including the categories) of what will be on your driving licence The categories should be the same as those on your UK licence..

And car and trailer also can mean towing a caravan.

Last edited by Sachina; Sep 18th 2020 at 6:05 am.
Old Sep 18th 2020, 6:35 am
BE Forum Addict

They should have given you a receipt and a paper with your photo that they took and all the details, (including the categories) of what will be on your driving licence The categories should be the same as those on your UK licence..

And car and trailer also can mean towing a caravan.
I only have A and B on the document with my photo! I think I'll leave it until I need to change the address. To be honest the lady who dealt with us is the same one for the previous occasions we had been there for other things and she has got a few things wrong. Maybe someone will pick up on this.
Old Sep 18th 2020, 7:03 am
BE Enthusiast

I only have A and B on the document with my photo! I think I'll leave it until I need to change the address. To be honest the lady who dealt with us is the same one for the previous occasions we had been there for other things and she has got a few things wrong. Maybe someone will pick up on this.
If it's still the same as when I changed my UK licence for a Hungarian one they don't return the UK licence to you. In that case how are you going to prove there were more categories on it than is shown on your new Hungarian licence?
Old Sep 18th 2020, 7:08 am
Forum Regular

hobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond repute

If it's still the same as when I changed my UK licence for a Hungarian one they don't return the UK licence to you. In that case how are you going to prove there were more categories on it than is shown on your new Hungarian licence?
Before I changed mine last year, I took the precaution of photographing my UK licence, just in case ! I also got five years on my Hungarian licence before I need to renew it and I'm no youngster !!
Old Sep 18th 2020, 7:54 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat0105 is an unknown quantity at this point

If I were you FenTiger I'd go back and get it sorted as soon as possible. It sounds to me as though the official was clueless. Although the DVLC hardly has a fantastic reputation for this kind of thing, either.

The EU driving classes are very complicated and it's easy to miss something. For example, you're probably entitled to A and A1 with the codes 79.03 and 79.04. Are they included?

You definitely don't want to tow a trailer without the licence. For our generation it was a given that you could just hitch up a trailer and away you went - not any more. You're driving without a licence and it's just as much an offence as driving a car without a licence. You might be able to make your case in court that it was an administrative error, but I'd prefer to avoid the hassle altogether, and I wouldn't take my chances with trying to convince a random plod.

Hobgoblins' precaution of taking a photo of his UK licence before trading it in is a good one. It also used to be possible to request formal confirmation from DLVC of when you passed your driving test, for a small fee. I did that back in 1994 - I don't know whether it's still possible. Whatever, everything is likely to get a whole lot more complicated in January.
Old Sep 18th 2020, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

hobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Watchpost
If I were you FenTiger I'd go back and get it sorted as soon as possible. It sounds to me as though the official was clueless. Although the DVLC hardly has a fantastic reputation for this kind of thing, either.

Hobgoblins' precaution of taking a photo of his UK licence before trading it in is a good one. It also used to be possible to request formal confirmation from DLVC of when you passed your driving test, for a small fee. I did that back in 1994 - I don't know whether it's still possible. Whatever, everything is likely to get a whole lot more complicated in January.
As a side note ... I have also kept hold of my paper licence as well just as a back up to the photo's of both sides of the plastic licence ... you never know !!
Old Sep 18th 2020, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Like Hobgoblins I photographed my driving licence. I also had a UK solicitor photocopy my driving licence to prove my personal I.D. and sign it with her name, professional membership no, company name and address.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.