British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Hungary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/)
-   -   Hungarian Citizenship (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/hungarian-citizenship-934374/)

Pollypaprika Aug 17th 2020 5:51 pm

Hungarian Citizenship

Hi everyone,

Does anyone here have experience of applying for Hungarian citizenship (the non-preferential route see https://www.hungary-immigration.com/...n-citizenship/)

If so, what was your experience?

Many thanks in advance!

Jack_Russells4ever Aug 17th 2020 6:39 pm

Re: Hungarian Citizenship

I cannot answer this question but I want to know if anyone knows if the Hungarian language requirement for applicants over 65 is still waved or is proficiency required even for applicants over 65 since we are on this topic? Thanks

PaulinEger Aug 17th 2020 7:15 pm

It's something I've been wanting to do for a long while but I'm nervous about the language side of things.
I'd be going down the route of simplified naturalisation so no need to learn about history or the constitution and there would only be a conversation, not a language exam. Even so, I'm still nervous.
Also, I thought the age was 60 when you don't need to learn the language.

Pollypaprika Aug 17th 2020 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever (Post 12898103)
I cannot answer this question but I want to know if anyone knows if the Hungarian language requirement for applicants over 65 is still waved or is proficiency required even for applicants over 65 since we are on this topic? Thanks

I think that if you have been resident in Hungary for 8 years and are over 60 or maybe 65 then the language test is waived.

Pollypaprika Aug 17th 2020 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by PaulinEger (Post 12898111)
It's something I've been wanting to do for a long while but I'm nervous about the language side of things.
I'd be going down the route of simplified naturalisation so no need to learn about history or the constitution and there would only be a conversation, not a language exam. Even so, I'm still nervous.
Also, I thought the age was 60 when you don't need to learn the language.

Yes - I think there is an age waiver as long as you have lived here for 8 years. The language 'interview' puts most people off but I understand there are courses/books that can help you prepare.

PaulinEger Aug 17th 2020 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by Pollypaprika (Post 12898123)
Yes - I think there is an age waiver as long as you have lived here for 8 years. The language 'interview' puts most people off but I understand there are courses/books that can help you prepare.

I enquired about studying online to prepare for the interview but the woman was charging about £30 an hour. My wife speaks Hungarian and I get by on a daily basis but I'm not confident when I'm being tested.
I have worked for a guy for 5 years who personally knows the woman who would interview me and said that he'd introduce me if I apply. Maybe that would make it a little easier. I don't know.

Pollypaprika Aug 17th 2020 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by PaulinEger (Post 12898158)
I enquired about studying online to prepare for the interview but the woman was charging about £30 an hour. My wife speaks Hungarian and I get by on a daily basis but I'm not confident when I'm being tested.
I have worked for a guy for 5 years who personally knows the woman who would interview me and said that he'd introduce me if I apply. Maybe that would make it a little easier. I don't know.

I understand it is more of an interview than a test - so if you know the sort of thing that will be asked beforehand it may give you some confidence. I have taken two Hungarian Language exams and got to B1 level - I couldn't get any further and kind of gave up - which is daft of me I know. Also, there were other external factors. Now I am trying to boost my language skills again. At least if your wife speaks Hungarian and you can get by - you can ask for the appropriate forms to complete - I don't even know that! Our local 'government window' is not in English. For me, the time for excuses is over :-)

Jack_Russells4ever Aug 17th 2020 11:52 pm

We have been here over 3 years so we have some time to learn more but I am not a good student and never was. We will both be over 65 by the time we have been here 8 years and don't intend to return home whether or not we can obtain citizenship. We will be applying for Permanent Residency status next when it is time to renew our residency. Thanks for letting me derail the thread.

PaulinEger Aug 18th 2020 5:07 am

1 Attachment(s)
This attachment is the form that I downloaded for citizenship application so no need to go and ask for one :)

Pollypaprika Aug 18th 2020 6:27 am

Originally Posted by PaulinEger (Post 12898277)
This attachment is the form that I downloaded for citizenship application so no need to go and ask for one :)

Thank you so much for this!

Pollypaprika Aug 18th 2020 6:28 am

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever (Post 12898221)
Thanks for letting me derail the thread.

You didn't - and if you like dogs - it's okay anyway :-)

cathyg Aug 18th 2020 9:10 am

My understanding is that if you apply on residency basis ie. eight years then the language requirement is waived if you are over age 60. There is a very good FB group called HUN Citizenship Journey which is full of people applying in various different ways.

Jack_Russells4ever Aug 18th 2020 9:52 am

Originally Posted by Pollypaprika (Post 12898294)
You didn't - and if you like dogs - it's okay anyway :-)

I guess I better like them since there are now 4 of them here. They are great companions.

jameswm Aug 21st 2020 12:50 pm

Just to mention for anyone's future reference (not directly relevant to your question) but I noticed it's not written on that link @pollypaprika,

but for anyone married to a Hungarian for 10 years, or 5 years with a child, can apply for Simplified Citizenship.

KORMÁNYHIVATALOK - Budapest Főváros Kormányhivatala - Járások

I recently did this; it took 2 hours at a Kormanyablak.

Worth noting: as well as taking your photo in a photobooth, they want you to bring a passport sized photo from within the last 3 months.

davidchannon Aug 22nd 2020 7:35 am

Originally Posted by jameswm (Post 12899924)
but for anyone married to a Hungarian for 10 years, or 5 years with a child, can apply for Simplified Citizenship.

Do you know if "married to a Hungarian for X years" mean:
- Time since the marriage occurred in any jurisdiction
- Time since the marriage was registered in Hungary
- Time since the married couple both became resident in Hungary
- Or something else......