Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Hungarian Canals!!

Hungarian Canals!!

Old Mar 27th 2012, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

Mike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant future
Default Hungarian Canals!!

A thought just struck me,are there any live aboard boats on the canals in Hungary?I imagine that the main ones have plenty of large cargo barges,pushers,etc,but just wondered if people lived aboard on the quieter reaches?As one who for his sins used to manage a couple of hire fleets in the U.K and that we also used to live aboard it would be interesting to know! All good wishes,from a very warm and sunny Slovenia.Mike.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 9:41 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hungarian Canals!!

Not sure they are in abundance but expect there will be some. That said, caravans are somewhat of a novelty here (apart from German & Austrian tourists)
Old Apr 1st 2012, 6:31 am
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

My first thought was "where are the canals in Hungary?" I don't think we have any....do we? Certainly none up this way.
Old Apr 1st 2012, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

Mike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant future

Oh Dear, i can see we are short of Boaters on here,you have quite an extensive canal network mainly linking the Danube to the interior ,which in turn would allow you to travel on to the canals in Serbia,there is a canal to the east of Eger that would in time take you on in to Romania!The area around Szabadszallas seems well blessed with canals running each side of the national park linking the Danube to Budapest! I can see i shall just have to come and check these out for myself!! All good wishes,M.
Old Apr 1st 2012, 8:08 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulinEger
My first thought was "where are the canals in Hungary?" I don't think we have any....do we? Certainly none up this way.
Ha ha, I thought the exact same thing but then assumed there must be some because of the Danube. A quick google confirmed there are canals though apparently those in mid/southern Hungary can be problematic to navigate due to dropping water levels in the summer. Most of the what, I suppose, you would term canals in this area are too narrow to take boats or too shallow.
Old Apr 1st 2012, 9:34 am
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Most of the what, I suppose, you would term canals in this area are too narrow to take boats or too shallow.
Ah, you mean the drainage ditches that run alongside the roads We've got those here but definitely too narrow for boats...
Off to Google "canals in Hungary"

Edit: now back from Googling. I see there are some canals but not too many and certainly not too close to Eger but that's probably due to the mountains around here.
Most of the people I know with boats use them on the Tisza (both river and lake) and have never mentioned a canal network.

Last edited by PaulinEger; Apr 1st 2012 at 9:45 am.
Old Apr 1st 2012, 11:08 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by PaulinEger
Ah, you mean the drainage ditches that run alongside the roads We've got those here but definitely too narrow for boats...
Off to Google "canals in Hungary"
Edit: now back from Googling. I see there are some canals but not too many and certainly not too close to Eger but that's probably due to the mountains around here.
Most of the people I know with boats use them on the Tisza (both river and lake) and have never mentioned a canal network.
Well the "canals" I'm thinking of aren't much bigger than the ditches and most have low bridges.

Likewise, boats here tend to be on one of the numerous lakes or rivers but not canals, as we British know them.

I am now fighting the urge to, instead of gardening, spend my time hunting down an example of a houseboat in Hungary
Old Apr 1st 2012, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

Paul,check out Tiszavasvari not so far to the east of you i belive and you will see the Keleti- Focsatoma fed from the Tisza,not a drainage ditch me thinks!Looking forward to the first person to come up with a decent livaboard houseboat,those funny floating fishing shacks do not count,though digging the garden would be a better idea,i'm sure!M.
Old Apr 1st 2012, 5:48 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by Mike and Janet
Looking forward to the first person to come up with a decent livaboard houseboat,those funny floating fishing shacks do not count,though digging the garden would be a better idea,i'm sure!M.
Well the garden won Built a wall and dug some new flower beds - now to find that houseboat
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 7:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Sadly I don't have any photos but we saw many floating houses along the banks of the river Tisza when we were last there. Don't remember seeing canal barge types crafts but then again I wasn't looking for any but the houses really stood out.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 7:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Found photo that I took on the river Tisza. This is one of the more impressive house boats.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

Very nice indeed! But we need something with at least one Sharp End !M.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

Well it looks like this ones got Rural beat,must be a first! Happy Easter to All.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 12:05 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

No, not at all

I did find a couple of sites which sell houseboats but they are in the Netherlands and Germany (if memory serves me correctly) and they transport the boats to Hungary.

Haven't had a minute to myself the past few days and now I have the flu - again. No doubt I will do some more searching later once I'm tucked up in bed feeling sorry for myself but for now, I need to go into town again
Old Apr 6th 2012, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry to hear you have the flue again,hoping it improves and you can enjoy Easter! Is Easter big in Hungary?Here in Slovenia its bigger than Christmas and we have the pleasure of listening to who can produce the loudest bang(s),something along the lines of making your own fertilizer bomb which get set off all hours,day and night! Thank goodness our dog's not gun (bomb)shy)!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.