Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Humax Satellite Receiver

Humax Satellite Receiver

Old May 15th 2020, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Humax Satellite Receiver

Will a humax satellite TV receiver work in Hungary with a satellite dish? Reason for asking is if it will not work then I will sell it in UK or give to the buyers of my property. I suspect they probably already have a sky box.
Old May 17th 2020, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

Benny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Humax Satellite Receiver

Which satellite does it use and what is the footprint?
Old May 17th 2020, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

If it is a "FREESAT" system, it is unlikely to work well or pick up all the channels you are used to receiving in UK.
This is because Hungary is way off the footprint for these services.
However, you can still use it as a so called FTA (Free to Air) receiver in Hungary with a suitable dish (60 -85cm).
You just have to retune it. (See in the menu).
Point it at the ASTRA satellite group and you will pick up any free TV channels and lots of radio stations.
Alternatively there are other satellites in orbit with FTA content.
Old May 17th 2020, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe an alternative?
If you are lucky Telekom has a glass fibre network near you where you can get not only internet and IP based phone but also more than 100 tv channels. The cost seems reasonable to me.
Old May 17th 2020, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Benny Kovacs
Which satellite does it use and what is the footprint?
To be honest I don't have a clue!
Old May 17th 2020, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by wolfi
Maybe an alternative?
If you are lucky Telekom has a glass fibre network near you where you can get not only internet and IP based phone but also more than 100 tv channels. The cost seems reasonable to me.
Both my sister-in-law's and mother-in-law's house have cable TV. I am not expecting to be able to watch British TV in Hungary via satellite. Basically, I'm trying to decide do I sell it or bring it over to Hungary. If it's going to be useless I may leave it behind for the buyers of my property or give it to a friend. There are a couple of properties which I'm interested in and all mention they have a satellite dish but I am not sure about cable in that area. Would be disappointing especially as having access to the internet is important to us.
Old May 22nd 2020, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenTiger
Both my sister-in-law's and mother-in-law's house have cable TV. I am not expecting to be able to watch British TV in Hungary via satellite. Basically, I'm trying to decide do I sell it or bring it over to Hungary. If it's going to be useless I may leave it behind for the buyers of my property or give it to a friend. There are a couple of properties which I'm interested in and all mention they have a satellite dish but I am not sure about cable in that area. Would be disappointing especially as having access to the internet is important to us.
I have a two year contact with Telkom which for 12 000 HUF a month includes a land line, Internet and TV which includes all the Hungarian channels, several German, French, Italian, Russian and CNN (US) plus Nat Geo, HBO, Viasat, Sony and some other channels I can't remember. As for the satellite dish Telkom provide and install it for you.
Old May 22nd 2020, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sachina
I have a two year contact with Telkom which for 12 000 HUF a month includes a land line, Internet and TV which includes all the Hungarian channels, several German, French, Italian, Russian and CNN (US) plus Nat Geo, HBO, Viasat, Sony and some other channels I can't remember. As for the satellite dish Telkom provide and install it for you.
Equivalent in UK would probably be around £60-90 per month depending on the channels. Selecting sports channels pushes up the cost which is what I'd like to be able to watch! £30 per month seems very cheap as it includes the internet and a landline. Think I will check what is available on FTA satellite dish channels and then make a decision. Obviously, I am not expectin to be able to watch the usual daily UK TV soaps. The satellite dish and cabling was replaced a couple of years ago and only cost £130. The previous owner left behind his satellite dish so I did not have to invest in a brand new satellite dish.