Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

How do you get a UK bank current account when resident abroad

How do you get a UK bank current account when resident abroad

Old Jun 29th 2014, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you get a UK bank current account when resident abroad

Hi Bev
I essentially got nowhere in getting a UK mainland account. It is difficult to open an account even if you are newly resident in the UK. We know a Hungarian who has just gone to the UK to work and she can't open an account, however if you are on benefits and have a probation officer then you get an account instantly. So the bad guys - easy, the good guys trying to do things legally - no chance!!

What I finished up doing is opening an account with Santander in the Isle of Man. The account is an instant access savers account which has internet banking and a cash card if you want one, Note - cash card to draw money from a Santander ATM only, this is not a debit card for shopping. There is unfortunately no facility for Direct Debits or Standing orders but you can make payments via the internet banking to other UK accounts free of charge and to foreign accounts with a charge. So in my case I will have to go on line and make the payments manually once a month for what used to be a DD. and for cash transfers to Hungary I will be using one of the UK based money transfer companies as this is cheaper than using the banks international transfer. This is not the ideal solution but at least a solution.

A word of caution - Because of the difficulties of getting an alternative account I got an extension to the closing of my Barclays account for one month. Not withstanding this I got a nasty letter from my UK credit card Co. as the DD was not paid. Barclays had cancelled the DD and closed my internet banking WITHOUT NOTICE to me. Needless to say the poor girl who was the telephone face of Barclays got a 'phone call. So take care that your existing facilities are not cancelled unilaterally until you have made other arrangements.
Old Jun 29th 2014, 9:48 am
Just Joined

beverley cakmakci is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Peter.
I've been all over the internet trying to find an alternative. I've just email Abbey National International in jersey. I'll try Santander in the I.O.M if I have no luck. I really would like a visa debit card for my Xmas shopping :-) :-).

I've got till mid-Aug so I'll let you know how I get on will Abbey Nat.

Thanks again. XX
Old Jun 29th 2014, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Bev
I have a UK visa credit card, which I have had for about 40 years, they don't seem to mind that I am not resident in the UK, mind you I don't know what would happen if you tried to open a UK credit card account as a non resident, I suspect they would laugh all the way to their money vaults!!
Old Jun 30th 2014, 10:08 am
Veszprém Megye

John Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute

I got an extension to the closing of my Barclays account for one month.

Hi Peter,

I wonder, did you move over with a Barclays UK account in place, to then have it closed down because you were no longer resident in the UK?
Old Jun 30th 2014, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by John Gilbert

Hi Peter,

I wonder, did you move over with a Barclays UK account in place, to then have it closed down because you were no longer resident in the UK?
When I moved here 20 years ago I moved my UK mainland account to Barclays international, Jersey. Decision made - Right at the time!

Barclays have now decided to pull out of several countries including Hungary and are closing accounts for residents in those countries and refusing to open new accounts associated with those countries. They have refused to move my account back to the UK as I am not resident there.

Having looked at several other banks international (ex-pat) accounts they want a minimum of 10s of thousands of pounds (it varies bank to bank) held in the account(s) permanently as a condition of having the account. This is unacceptable to me. (Imagine a high street bank in the UK demanding all current account holders have a minimum of 25k or more accumulative across their accounts otherwise the accounts will be closed!!)

My understanding is that if you have a UK mainland account then as long as you don't tell them you are resident in Hungary you will be OK. It is possible to have a postal address different from the account address so you can keep the UK account but have letters sent here.
Old Jun 30th 2014, 11:17 pm
Just Joined

No luck with Abby Nat International. They want a min balance of 50k- same as HSBC.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 9:29 am
Just Joined

Wayne Sadler is an unknown quantity at this point

I have also received notice that Barclays are closing my account after over 40 years with them! What amazing loyalty to their customers.

After having spent over 4 hours on the internet and phone this morning. I have not been able to fin any bank so far that does not require, a UK address. Like many others my priority is to take care of DD payments.

The minimum Barclays are now demanding you maintain in your account, whilst living in Cyprus is £100,000. Have they gone insane?
Old Aug 27th 2014, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

Hungary is a member of EU, and therefore also a member of SEPA. (Single European Payments Area).

In theory, any bills you have to pay in UK can be paid directly from your hungarian account with minimal transfer costs and use of IBAN.

Of course exchange rate is not taken into consideration here..
Old Aug 27th 2014, 11:13 am
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

Reading all of the difficulties being placed upon expats by banks just reinforces my disdain for bankers even more. I don't know which I dislike more,.... bankers or politicians?
Old Aug 27th 2014, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: How do you get a UK bank current account when resident abroad

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever
I don't know which I dislike more,.... bankers or politicians?
All Politicians either WERE or WILL BE bankers..they are all the same bunch of bandits..
Old Aug 27th 2014, 6:41 pm
Just Joined

I've given up and just transferred my balance to my Mum's account.

She now lives in Turkey too so we're just hoping the mainland HSBC don't do the same as Barclay's Int.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Wayne Sadler
After having spent over 4 hours on the internet and phone this morning. I have not been able to fin any bank so far that does not require, a UK address. Like many others my priority is to take care of DD payments.
I finished up with Santander IOM as the best or actually only option that I could find. They won't do DDs but you can set up standing orders and have internet banking or telephone banking

Originally Posted by Wayne Sadler
The minimum Barclays are now demanding you maintain in your account, whilst living in Cyprus is £100,000. Have they gone insane?
IMO - Yes
Old Aug 28th 2014, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by calman014
Hungary is a member of EU, and therefore also a member of SEPA. (Single European Payments Area).

In theory, any bills you have to pay in UK can be paid directly from your hungarian account with minimal transfer costs and use of IBAN.

Of course exchange rate is not taken into consideration here..
The Banks idea of a minimal transfer cost is not the same as mine!!!! and you can't set up a DD from a Hungarian account (even if its a sterling account) to a UK provider.

Too right about the exchange rate - better named exchange robbery
Old Aug 28th 2014, 8:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by beverley cakmakci
I've given up and just transferred my balance to my Mum's account.

She now lives in Turkey too so we're just hoping the mainland HSBC don't do the same as Barclay's Int.
As far as I have seen if you have a UK account and you move abroad the Banks don't worry about the change of address etc. They allow the account to continue but if you move the account to the international unit of the bank then all bets are off. And its a one way move, without proof of residence in the UK!
Old Aug 29th 2014, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

Quinna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever
Reading all of the difficulties being placed upon expats by banks just reinforces my disdain for bankers even more. I don't know which I dislike more,.... bankers or politicians?
He he, yeah I hear you! If its any consolation a lot of the restrictions are related to anti-money laundering laws. The banks would probably like to make it easier to get your money.

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
As far as I have seen if you have a UK account and you move abroad the Banks don't worry about the change of address etc. They allow the account to continue but if you move the account to the international unit of the bank then all bets are off. And its a one way move, without proof of residence in the UK!
Yep - that is what I understand as well. Great reminder not to close down your account when you leave the UK if you think there is even a slight chance you might need it again.