Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

How do you deal with Brexit friends

How do you deal with Brexit friends

Old Dec 18th 2019, 10:34 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you deal with Brexit friends

Originally Posted by FenTiger
No way willl we be coming back. My wife's parents need some help with every day tasks, i.e. including getting the shopping and helping around their property. There are other family living nearby but they are quite pushed to visit and check on them on a daily basis other neighbours have rallied round to help out. I've also been spoilt having visited Hungary so many times since 2003.
That's the spirit - get here & stay here!
Old Dec 18th 2019, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick
This is where we ran into difficulties. Turns out the seller has a dispute with 2 other owners in the house - going back many years. Also turns out she owes the house 4 years worth of common cost charges. So the other two owners are blocking the sale - so we walked away.
Don't blame you. Four years is alot of common cost charges. Maybe the owner will realise it all needs sorting otherwise the whole thing will rumble on forever. Enjoy your BBQ when the weather gets better.
Old Dec 18th 2019, 10:45 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenTiger
Don't blame you. Four years is alot of common cost charges. Maybe the owner will realise it all needs sorting otherwise the whole thing will rumble on forever. Enjoy your BBQ when the weather gets better.
Thank you. She has been very foolish. We offered full asking price, her agent is in despair, our offer was the only one she had in 9 months - which, given the current market in Budapest is something of a record!
Old Dec 18th 2019, 3:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

This is where we ran into difficulties. Turns out the seller has a dispute with 2 other owners in the house - going back many years. Also turns out she owes the house 4 years worth of common cost charges. So the other two owners are blocking the sale - so we walked away.
That shouldn't be a problem - the debt is attached to the property and comes off any sale price to clear the debt as part of the conveyancing activities, just the same as a mortgage or other loan secured against the property and the owner never gets to see the money destined to clear the debt.
I believe here they can attach electric and heating bills to flats as an encumbrance because they can't switch off heating and alike to individual flats.
Old Dec 18th 2019, 3:32 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
That shouldn't be a problem - the debt is attached to the property and comes off any sale price to clear the debt as part of the conveyancing activities, just the same as a mortgage or other loan secured against the property and the owner never gets to see the money destined to clear the debt.
I believe here they can attach electric and heating bills to flats as an encumbrance because they can't switch off heating and alike to individual flats.
Peter, you are absolutely right - however the common cost issue was the least of the problems! Strangely the house has been dilatory in attaching the debt, furthermore the seller, who currently owns 63% of the total shareholding has pulled another stunt which our lawyer advised could take an age to sort out. Most importantly, I realised (just before I was due to pay over an 8 million deposit) that the seller is, to be polite, somewhat economical with the truth. Anyway we are happy with the alternative!
Old Dec 18th 2019, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Peter, you are absolutely right - however the common cost issue was the least of the problems! Strangely the house has been dilatory in attaching the debt, furthermore the seller, who currently owns 63% of the total shareholding has pulled another stunt which our lawyer advised could take an age to sort out. Most importantly, I realised (just before I was due to pay over an 8 million deposit) that the seller is, to be polite, somewhat economical with the truth. Anyway we are happy with the alternative!
She's obviously in politics then.
Old Dec 18th 2019, 4:44 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
She's obviously in politics then.
Igen!

(Yes)
Old Dec 18th 2019, 4:52 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you! It's a rooftop apartment. This is the view and not brexit in sight!

Superb view XP. Buda?
Old Dec 18th 2019, 5:01 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana

I could count on one hand the friends I have left these days, and I am very grateful for their friendship. We have deeper feelings for each other and the idea of dropping people as friends because of their views on Brexit seems rather shallow to me.
Do you think this the natural progression of things, as we hit middle age and beyond? It seems even more prevalent for expats, somehow, there being a dislocation or two in the past. I've noticed a few friends drift away for no apparent reason, especially some long term, long distance friends.
Old Dec 19th 2019, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Do you think this the natural progression of things, as we hit middle age and beyond? It seems even more prevalent for expats, somehow, there being a dislocation or two in the past. I've noticed a few friends drift away for no apparent reason, especially some long term, long distance friends.
I noticed as I got older long time friends have taken on new hobbies or sports which I have never been interested in. So I have not seen them as much as I should. When I belonged to some specific club, I.e. rambling, it was all great in the early days but then cracks appeared in the ongoings of the committee I stopped going. So similar thing may have happened to you. Also three decades ago alot of friends and acquaintances joined a pyramid selling scheme. I found it astonishing they had to join such a scheme. By my standards back then they were alot better off than me. I thought it was pure stupidity on their part. So pyramid selling friends became a new social group which I wasn't a member of. That was all three decades ago but I can't forget how the committee and their supporters ripped off so many friends.
I think as we get older we probably become a bit more disapproving of some people's behaviour.
​​​​​​

Last edited by FenTiger; Dec 19th 2019 at 7:19 am.
Old Dec 19th 2019, 8:09 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Shard
Superb view XP. Buda?
Yes, Buda, looking south & west!