Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

How do you deal with Brexit friends

How do you deal with Brexit friends

Old Dec 13th 2019, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default How do you deal with Brexit friends

I had to ask this question.
Old Dec 14th 2019, 6:27 am
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you deal with Brexit friends

Among all my friends in London (I've been there more than 50 times to buy Science Fiction books at the Forbidden Planet and other places) and my family (my sister's married to an Englishman) there is no Brexit friend at all, so I can't help you there.
We had a family reunion at a brewery in Munich a few weeks ago (another nephew of mine who works for Amazon married his US girlfriend) and you should have heard my niece which is married to an Irish guy (working and living in London) ranting about her stupid ***expletive deleted*** ...
They've all got German passports too and the young ones are thinking about moving ...
It's a crazy world!
Old Dec 14th 2019, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

99% of my friends voted Brexit. This includes one long time friend who has a Japanese girlfriend. He owns an enormous plot of agriculture land which he rents out. Funny thing is he moans about EU citizens taking over his home town! Hey, his girlfriend is Japanese!!!!! I have to say this but if 99% of my friends are thinking to come visit me ..... I am not picking them up from airport. Why should I? They voted Brexit.
Old Dec 14th 2019, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

hobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond repute

Respect other people's choices. Just because they may choose to vote differently from us does not mean that they are badly educated, selfish or have not carefully considered their voting decision. Our opinion of others says more about us than it does about them ...
Old Dec 14th 2019, 9:19 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobgoblins
Respect other people's choices. Just because they may choose to vote differently from us does not mean that they are badly educated, selfish or have not carefully considered their voting decision. Our opinion of others says more about us than it does about them ...

I could count on one hand the friends I have left these days, and I am very grateful for their friendship. We have deeper feelings for each other and the idea of dropping people as friends because of their views on Brexit seems rather shallow to me.
Old Dec 14th 2019, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pollyana

I could count on one hand the friends I have left these days, and I am very grateful for their friendship. We have deeper feelings for each other and the idea of dropping people as friends because of their views on Brexit seems rather shallow to me.
Shallow .... are you joking? That's an insult to me and the hardship my Hungarian wife has gone through. I had to take on the burden of the debts her first husband left her with. You have no idea what I have sacrificed to take on those debts.

Last edited by FenTiger; Dec 15th 2019 at 12:01 am.
Old Dec 15th 2019, 12:41 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenTiger
Shallow .... are you joking? That's an insult to me and the hardship my Hungarian wife has gone through. I had to take on the burden of the debts her first husband left her with. You have no idea what I have sacrificed to take on those debts.
Unless your wife’s first husband was Nigel Farage, what has any of that got to do with Brexit?
Old Dec 15th 2019, 3:33 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think there's anything to 'deal with'. They have their opinions, I have mine. If a difference of opinion over Brexit spoils a friendship I'd have to question how strong/real that friendship was.
Old Dec 15th 2019, 3:39 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

You asked a question. You got an answer you didn't like, such is life.
Some of my friends have different political, religious etc., viewpoints to myself. If I shunned all those whose views don't align with mine, then I'd be a very lonely person. I suspect many of us would be in the same boat. Their friendship means more to me than their opinions on any given topic.
So I'd agree with "shallow."
Old Dec 15th 2019, 9:43 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Unless your wife’s first husband was Nigel Farage, what has any of that got to do with Brexit?
Thats what I'm wondering!!! I've never dumped any friends because of their political views I consider that their own business, like religion. Doesn't define them as a person, there are many qualities that I prize above olitical affiliation such as trust, honour, honesty and tolerance.
Old Dec 15th 2019, 9:50 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Thats what I'm wondering!!! I've never dumped any friends because of their political views I consider that their own business, like religion. Doesn't define them as a person, there are many qualities that I prize above olitical affiliation such as trust, honour, honesty and tolerance.
Indeed. Dumping your friends because they voted the ‘wrong’ way in an election says an awful lot more about you than then.
Old Dec 15th 2019, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

If any of you thought I'd quit this forum. Wrong answer. I'm sticking around.
Old Dec 15th 2019, 11:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure you do!
Old Dec 15th 2019, 12:23 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Fen Tiger, why on earth would you think that? A difference of opinion is just that, whether it's a difference of opinion with a fellow BE poster or a friend who thinks differently about Brexit. It'd be a bloody boring world if we all thought the same, not that this would ever happen, us humans being what we are
Old Dec 15th 2019, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

Shotgun is a jewel in the roughShotgun is a jewel in the roughShotgun is a jewel in the roughShotgun is a jewel in the rough

Fen sure has his knickers in a twist. I wouldn't like to go for a drink with him and not like what he was drinking!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.