Reload this Page >

How do I get my post delivered?

How do I get my post delivered?

Old Apr 22nd 2019, 8:24 am
Just Joined

rainee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How do I get my post delivered?

Hi
I do not have a letterbox someone else in the village has picked up my letters, I would like to install a letterbox have letters delivered, does anyone know how I get my letters delivered to my address, I speak no Hungarian.

Old Apr 22nd 2019, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do I get my post delivered?

First put up a letterbox on the gate or fence at the front of the house and make sure that the house number is visible then tell the local post office that there is a letterbox at your address and you want letters delivered there. I presume you have an address of some sort even if it is a plot number and that your property is on a made up (tarmac or concrete) road. If someone else has been picking up your mail then they should have your signed authority so to do and you should rescind this at the post office if you no longer want them to get your mail, however sometimes in villages the strict adherence to the rules goes by the board for the sake of ease of living and post is delivered where it is known to go rather than to the address on the envelope, which can have both advantages and disadvantages. If you have no Hungarian then take a helper if the post office can't cope with English.
Old Apr 22nd 2019, 2:22 pm
Just Joined

rainee is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you great advice, I did sign the authority to pick up my post but now feel this has been taken advantage of.
Old Apr 22nd 2019, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Having read your post on the other thread that you are at your house every 6 weeks, rather than have your post put in your letterbox (to wait whilst you are away) it may be better to ask the post office to hold your mail for collection on your return. This would have the advantage that any registered letters would be held and not returned to sender if they are not collected within the allotted time. I Don't like registered letters collected for me because they generally contain a deadline and the time starts when the letter is accepted and I have had problems where a letter collected for me ran out of time before I came back.
Old Apr 22nd 2019, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Peter you are absolutely right!
A friend of us went back to the USA for her cancer treatments and keeps getting letters from the utility corporations - pay in two weeks max or from the Mayor's office - pay your tax before the deadline etc.
She has a letterbox in which we find these and also sometimes info about registered letters which are now at the post office waiting - luckily my wife has a power of attorney, but we go the house and check the letterbox at least every second weekend.
The problem there is:
She closed her bank account so everything has to be paid with those "yellow strips" at the post office ...