Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

How come they effortlessly speak great English?

How come they effortlessly speak great English?

Old Jun 18th 2023, 5:54 pm
Banned

Bill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond repute
Default How come they effortlessly speak great English?

So I got invited round to Kitti and Viktor's this afternoon, 2 delicious bowls of gulyas - I declined any drinks but they were offered several times. It was their young kid's birthday party, about 15 friends, some parents stayed, plus a massive inflatable castle with a slide that the kids were yelling on for about 8 hours having fun.

Viktor seemed to want to apologize about the noise, said he had been round to an adjacent neighbour to apologize already. He's 42.

I'm 60. I just told him to relax, no neighbour in their right mind is going to care about kids having noisy fun. If they complain, ignore them, I said (I was slightly ruder lol). The louder, the more fun, the better. That's my view. It's a Sunday.

Anyway, I was just struck by how well Viktor, Kitti, their 2 best friends I met as well Zoltan + wife - all speak passably good English. That probably wouldn't have been true 20 years ago.

All 4 were very competent, wanted to speak English to practise, were very happy for me to have a go in Hungarian, completely nice and friendly.

The best thing you can do when you get a bowl of tasty gulyas is politely ask if you can get a second bowl, because it's so delicious. Always goes down well.

Very good gulyas. I asked Viktor and Zoltan round for 10 mins to admire my garden, they were suitably impressed.
Old Jun 18th 2023, 8:48 pm
Banned

Bill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How come they effortlessly speak great English?

English exam results, language only:

Viktor - A-level grade A
Kitti - A-level grade A/B
Zoltan- GCSE grade A
Zoltan's wife - Ebbi? Abbi? - GCSE grade B

So rather better than 95% of Brit students doing GCSEs.

Obvs in my A-levels I had to read 4 big books like Kafka, L'Etranger etc, so I'm only judging them on language skills.
Old Jun 19th 2023, 7:02 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

We have been to a local Hungarian friends for breakfast, lunch and a BBQ. We thought we had just been invited for breakfast but no, after a visit to one of his plumbing jobs we were asked to stay for lunch. All three children, 24, 19 and 15 can speak English. The middle one is learning multiple languages. The most frustrating thing I find with Hungarians speaking English is they speak too quietly. Or maybe it's my digital BTE hearing aid that's at fault. It's not as powerful as my very old analogue BTE hearing aid.
We invited the same family when we had a Coronation BBQ. Invited my wife's sister and family, plus 4 deaf friends. Janos, the plumber, threw himself right into chatting with our deaf friends. He's more tolerant towards deaf and disabled people having worked in Scotland. We've seen more of him and his family than ..... errmm ..... ermmm ..... guess .... since we moved here. Janos daughter is interested in learning Hungarian sign language. I absolutely love their massive outdoor kitchen.
My Hungarian wife chats to alot of people in the village because they knew her parents.
Old Jun 19th 2023, 9:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

My vet and all his staff, my doctor and the dogs trainer all speak excellent English, as does my Slovakian friend who has a holiday home in the village. Recently, I've had to go to Kosice Slovakia several times and found most of the taxi drivers spoke both English and Hungarian. At one time I had Belgian neighbours who didn't speak English, but we managed quite happily with their Flemish and my Afrikaans. The few occasions I've been stopped at road blocks, I've found 90% of the time one or more policeman spoke English.

https://higherlanguage.com/do-people...sh-in-hungary/

Old Jun 19th 2023, 3:58 pm
Banned

I had to cajole, force, bribe my daughter into doing a second language, she was already doing French so this was Spanish.

Her friends were signing up for rubbish courses like horse-riding or something. Only their 10th subject so no condemnation. I did 10 serious subjects at my Grammar school, the only dodgy one was Geology - I got an A. Beats Ad Maths any day.

This is one of the best Grammar schools in the south-west, btw.

So I think I bribed her £200 to get a 9 (=A+ in old money).. £150 for an 8 = A.

Guess what? - she got an 8 or a 9.
Old Jun 21st 2023, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

xavierx is an unknown quantity at this point

I found far more competent English speakers in Hungary, than I was led to believe existed, even out in the countryside