Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

How to beat down shocking food prices in Hungary

How to beat down shocking food prices in Hungary

Old Jun 17th 2023, 8:10 am
Banned

Bill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond repute
Default How to beat down shocking food prices in Hungary

Let me know your tricks. Here's how I do it: Tesco 6 month delivery subscription HUF 12000. You get unlimited 'free' deliveries provided you go over HUF 10000. You can get 10 deliveries on the same day in the same slot if you feel like it. Why? Because beer (and all items like that, but I'm talking about beer) is limited to 24 items, you might want to get a load in when it's on promotion. Eg I'm sitting on a LOT of cases of Tuborg @ HUF 229, a load more at 249, plus Szalon 1848 was on @ 20% off last week so I got in about 20 cases of that as well for the summer.

Sign up for Clubcard to get the discounts. Very generous points get awarded, most of them vouchers you can only use in store - I won't do that, but my wife is happy to print them off and use them - long validity I think 2 years. You do get a few online discount promotions, just a couple of weeks ago I got 3x HUF 2200 off HUF 15000.

Tricks - they run out of stuff, depending on which store your order is made up in. Mine seems to be quite a small one, so if you choose an item you do actually want then order (say) 10 of it to get over HUF 10000, with any luck you'll just get the other ones you wanted really, no delivery fee. Currently it's Sandis Geranium food, price is OK and if it got delivered it wouldn't bother me, last 10 deliveries they had no Sandis. Another favourite is cheap Thummerer dry reds on promotion - they always seem to run out of them, plus I really don't mind about paying HUF 1600 instead of 2200 if it actually gets delivered.

Try to buy 95% of your stuff on promotion - Tesco prices are really quite keen when they are discounted 20% or more.

Don't pay petrol costs. Our village has a Co-op that is expensive for most things compared to Tesco (except when they do their own promotions). Also an excellent greengrocers run by the friendly Terri, she likes me because we have a laugh and I give her my empty egg boxes. Great quality and always cheap, though she doesn't beat Tesco promotional prices. I go there for eggs, sweet corn, new potatoes etc. Otherwise to get to a decent shop it's a 15 KM round trip, so petrol costs etc.

Downsides? Not many, obvs you need a bit of time on your hands waiting for a delivery, though these days you can change the 1 hr delivery slot easily if you want, Tesco are often half an hour late. I just book the 8am-9am slots on a Thursday when the new promotions come out. This week - https://bevasarlas.tesco.hu/grocerie.../2004010808975 - French baguette 110g down from 249 to 149 - so I'm getting 4 a day delivered first thing every day, plus a few other bits & some Sandis Geranium food to get over 10000. Check out the promotions on tesco.hu, some pretty good prices. Eg this week fresh milk, beef mince, watermelon amongst others.
Old Jun 17th 2023, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to beat down shocking food prices in Hungary

Lidl has a "membership" where you show your smartphone at the till and get special prices for some stuff - and if you've been buying enough you even get some presents like chocolate or other sweets.
Eggs of course we buy from one of our neighbours - my German friends used to say:
The best eggs in the world!
And we also exchange fresh fruit with our neighbours - if one has too many raspberries eg dhe asks the others to help and harvest them - and take them home of course.
That goes forspices like parsley and spring onions too of course and later for potatoes and onions.
And last year we alo had to help the other neighbour with harvesting their fig tree - the best figs I've ever tasted!
PS:
That Lidl offer even works if you forgot your smartphone at home - but tell the cashier your phone number, ain't that great?
Old Jun 17th 2023, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

No use for me as none of the supermarkets deliver groceries to where I live. Tesco and Auchan are a 60 kms drive away and my nearest Spar or Penny Market 20kms.

In any case, living on my own it's not always practical to buy in bulk. Instead I try to plan my shopping to coincide with doing other things such as taking the dogs to the groomers or kutyaiskola or meeting a friend. Works out fine for me.
Old Jun 17th 2023, 10:50 am
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill Sykes
Let me know your tricks. Here's how I do it: Tesco 6 month delivery subscription HUF 12000. You get unlimited 'free' deliveries provided you go over HUF 10000. You can get 10 deliveries on the same day in the same slot if you feel like it. Why? Because beer (and all items like that, but I'm talking about beer) is limited to 24 items, you might want to get a load in when it's on promotion. Eg I'm sitting on a LOT of cases of Tuborg @ HUF 229, a load more at 249, plus Szalon 1848 was on @ 20% off last week so I got in about 20 cases of that as well for the summer.

Sign up for Clubcard to get the discounts. Very generous points get awarded, most of them vouchers you can only use in store - I won't do that, but my wife is happy to print them off and use them - long validity I think 2 years. You do get a few online discount promotions, just a couple of weeks ago I got 3x HUF 2200 off HUF 15000.

Tricks - they run out of stuff, depending on which store your order is made up in. Mine seems to be quite a small one, so if you choose an item you do actually want then order (say) 10 of it to get over HUF 10000, with any luck you'll just get the other ones you wanted really, no delivery fee. Currently it's Sandis Geranium food, price is OK and if it got delivered it wouldn't bother me, last 10 deliveries they had no Sandis. Another favourite is cheap Thummerer dry reds on promotion - they always seem to run out of them, plus I really don't mind about paying HUF 1600 instead of 2200 if it actually gets delivered.

Try to buy 95% of your stuff on promotion - Tesco prices are really quite keen when they are discounted 20% or more.

Don't pay petrol costs. Our village has a Co-op that is expensive for most things compared to Tesco (except when they do their own promotions). Also an excellent greengrocers run by the friendly Terri, she likes me because we have a laugh and I give her my empty egg boxes. Great quality and always cheap, though she doesn't beat Tesco promotional prices. I go there for eggs, sweet corn, new potatoes etc. Otherwise to get to a decent shop it's a 15 KM round trip, so petrol costs etc.

Downsides? Not many, obvs you need a bit of time on your hands waiting for a delivery, though these days you can change the 1 hr delivery slot easily if you want, Tesco are often half an hour late. I just book the 8am-9am slots on a Thursday when the new promotions come out. This week - https://bevasarlas.tesco.hu/grocerie.../2004010808975 - French baguette 110g down from 249 to 149 - so I'm getting 4 a day delivered first thing every day, plus a few other bits & some Sandis Geranium food to get over 10000. Check out the promotions on tesco.hu, some pretty good prices. Eg this week fresh milk, beef mince, watermelon amongst others.

I would like to add IF something is on offer that you purchase a lot of and it is not perishable buy extra if you are able to do so. I shop Tesco home delivery and I always stock up when items like tinned goods and other long life items are on offer. My pantry is full of items bought that way. I do the same with hygene and cleaning supplies.
Old Jun 17th 2023, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Our solution to the cost of bread is not to buy it !! Last year we bought organic wheat which we grind as needed to make our own bread. A 750 gm wholemeal loaf costs about 80 fts. and its organic.

otherwise we buy what we need when on offer or change what we need to account for the offers.

Trips to the supermarket are cheap as we have an EV which runs at an equivalent of over 200 miles / gallon and anyway the electricity comes from our solar panels (as does the hot water and all other electricity usage.
Old Jun 17th 2023, 1:32 pm
Banned

Bill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sachina
No use for me as none of the supermarkets deliver groceries to where I live. Tesco and Auchan are a 60 kms drive away and my nearest Spar or Penny Market 20kms.

In any case, living on my own it's not always practical to buy in bulk. Instead I try to plan my shopping to coincide with doing other things such as taking the dogs to the groomers or kutyaiskola or meeting a friend. Works out fine for me.
Tesco deliver to 3400, I didn't bother checking all the postcodes. Give it a look, things change over time so maybe it wouldn't have been possible a year ago - but is now.

Great news!

That’s great, our Tesco Online shopping service is available in your area.

Find out if we deliver your online shopping to you

Please enter your ZIP code to find out if this service is available for your delivery address.
Zip code
Check
Old Jun 17th 2023, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill Sykes
Tesco deliver to 3400, I didn't bother checking all the postcodes. Give it a look, things change over time so maybe it wouldn't have been possible a year ago - but is now.

Great news!

That’s great, our Tesco Online shopping service is available in your area.

Find out if we deliver your online shopping to you

Please enter your ZIP code to find out if this service is available for your delivery address.
Zip code
Check
Area code 3400 is over 100 kms from where I live. I regularly check to see if things have changed but so far no luck, Not surprising though considering there are only 35 inhabitants in my village and the road leading into is is a dead end.
Old Jun 17th 2023, 4:11 pm
Banned

Why am I so popular down the kocsma and the zoldseg-gyumolcs?

I start off with my John Cleese Ministry of Silly Walks - that always raises a few laughs.

Then I move onto Mr Bean - great because not everybody speaks English.

I parade up and down outside the greengrocers for a few minutes, I never mention ze war - not a good idea in Hungary, which chose the wrong side.

Always good for a few laughs.

Probably doesn't hurt that my wife's uncle is Polgarmester.

Old Jun 17th 2023, 4:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
Our solution to the cost of bread is not to buy it !! Last year we bought organic wheat which we grind as needed to make our own bread..
What are you using to grind corn?
Old Jun 18th 2023, 7:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philat98
What are you using to grind corn?
About 12 - 14 years ago we bought a domestic grain mill - this one https://www.mindenmentes.hu/gabonaorlo-malom/ and have been using it ever since (there are others on the market including hand cranked ones). Whilst they aren't cheap ours has lasted the test of time and still functions like new.

Whilst we haven't tried it (no need to when you have a mill) I understand you can use a liquidizer.
Old Jun 18th 2023, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
About 12 - 14 years ago we bought a domestic grain mill - this one https://www.mindenmentes.hu/gabonaorlo-malom/ and have been using it ever since (there are others on the market including hand cranked ones). Whilst they aren't cheap ours has lasted the test of time and still functions like new.

Whilst we haven't tried it (no need to when you have a mill) I understand you can use a liquidizer.
I like the look of this flour mill from France. It has 2 stones to do the grinding. It saves money on going to the gym too. I think the main problem is buying quality organic wheat.
https://www.samap-eco.fr/en/moulins/...nd-mill-SAMAP/
Old Jun 18th 2023, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by philat98
I like the look of this flour mill from France. It has 2 stones to do the grinding. It saves money on going to the gym too. I think the main problem is buying quality organic wheat.
https://www.samap-eco.fr/en/moulins/...nd-mill-SAMAP/
We don't have time to do hand grinding !! and for another 50.000 fts you can get an electric one (ours also has two stones)

There is no problem getting organic wheat, getting it at a sensible price is the difficult bit. Lots available at 600 fts or more / kg. We paid 130 fts / kg. (for 200kg) We have also got good bug free storage sorted.