Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

House Renovations

House Renovations

Old Jan 10th 2018, 11:19 am
Just Joined

Tugela is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: House Renovations

thanks for all the replies. my husband and I are EU citizens so am not concerned re Brexit (I hope) We were told that the resident card is very easy to get as we have a property?
As for the building renovations/alterations - we not sure yet what we going to do - hopefully remove a couple of walls to make bigger rooms - but that is in the future not right now.
Old Jan 10th 2018, 11:23 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tugela
thanks for all the replies. my husband and I are EU citizens so am not concerned re Brexit (I hope) We were told that the resident card is very easy to get as we have a property?
As for the building renovations/alterations - we not sure yet what we going to do - hopefully remove a couple of walls to make bigger rooms - but that is in the future not right now.
If you are citizens of the 27 then Brexit is irrelevant to you.
Old Jan 10th 2018, 11:31 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

This is the info package we were asked to put together (back in 2014) -

. In regards of the documents needed for the registration card application, please find my list below:

n accommodation documents (rental or purchase agreement with both of your name’s mentioned and land registry number mentioned)

n bank account statements showing income and/or savings

n a statement in a narrative form, telling the authorities who you are and why would you like to retire to Hungary

n duty stamps worth HUF 1000 x 2 (you can purchase these at the post office or I can do that, just please let me know if you would like me to)

n copy of your passports

n health insurance: copy of BUPA policy and card would do (sorry, I do not remember what we have talked about this – whether you have it or not). If you would need an insurance please let me know.
Old Jan 10th 2018, 11:42 am
Just Joined

Tugela is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks so much for this info on what is needed - much appreciated
Old Jan 10th 2018, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

GBA77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Residency info here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/hunga...rocess-895219/
Old Jan 10th 2018, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

cathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond repute

Albeit it was five years ago but we did it all in a couple of hours. We used the office in Veszprem where they spoke some English. Lots of form filling. As I have learnt here take as much information with you as possible. If you own a property then take the contracts with you and your tax number. We just had to tick a box for health insurance not provide any proof.
The address card arrives after a few days and actually is the more important card in my view as it is used as ID for virtually everything. Therefore your five day trip may not be long enough unless you can arrange something with your local post office.
Unfortunately in Hungary it all depends on the office you go to as to how good an experience you will have. Because there is a big university in Veszprem I think they are more used to dealing with foreigners due to the ERASMUS program. I do not know which office you will go to. As your house is towards the southern end of the lake it might be worth contacting the Balaton Brits as they will no doubt be able to give you more local information and some assistance. I think this website should provide the contacts Balaton Britons.hu
Old Jan 10th 2018, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

hobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond repute

I was fortunate in that when I went to the office in Zalaegerszeg, they spoke very good English and I was the first one there…. unfortunately I had forgotten the postage stamp and had to go to the post office to get one and by the time I got back, the office was full of others that had appointments ! Four hours later, I was seen and the process took about 20 minutes and the card was issued… Don't forget the postage stamp !!
Old Jan 10th 2018, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick
You're married to a Hungarian! I am more worried about the Brits than the others.
Small children. The house is just chaos......... And working all the time.... Had 2 months of professional help in Budapest and it really speeded things up.

The OP doesn't have to worry about Brexit which is very good so the paperwork will be no problem then!
Old Jan 10th 2018, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

I am under the impression that you have to be actually resident in Hungary for 180 days before you may apply for a residency card. In other words if you not "residing here" then you cannot apply.

That correct?
Old Jan 10th 2018, 6:00 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by GBA77
I am under the impression that you have to be actually resident in Hungary for 180 days before you may apply for a residency card. In other words if you not "residing here" then you cannot apply.

That correct?
Registration (for EU citizens) should be effected within 90 days of crossing the border.We registered on day 60 following arrival.

Edited to add: Just reviewed the link posted above, we also had to supply 3 months statements for our UK bank accounts plus the only statement we had for our new Hungarian account.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat142; Jan 10th 2018 at 6:13 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

Perhaps best the OP look here:

Residence in Hungary

Things change and a very quick look shows the revenue stamp is out from 01/18.

The info then goes on "We kindly inform you that the use of revenue stamps is ceased from 1st January 2018 in the procedure of the Immigration and Asylum Office. From this day, the administrative service fee shall be paid by bank card or on yellow post cheque.

We also kindly inform you that due to technical problems, temporary it is impossible to pay by bank card. Please, excuse us for the inconvenience."

In other words pay by bank card but you cant.

I did not look through all the info and there maybe other changes.

In Hungary - ALWAYS expect the unexpected.