British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Hungary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/)
-   -   House Renovations (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/house-renovations-905384/)

Tugela Nov 2nd 2017 11:37 am

House Renovations

Hello everyone
We have just bought a house in Hungary and need to do renovations to it. What I would like to know is
Where do I find a surveyor to do a topographical survey, some one to do a utilities survey and a measured building survey.
Now, my son is an architect in the UK and he has said this is what I need for him to design renovations for us.
Please, does anyone know how where why and what. We are totally new to this but very excited about our recent purchase.
thank you

Pulaski Nov 2nd 2017 12:09 pm

Re: House Renovations

It sounds like your son is intending to design improvements and upgrades. Is that what you want?

I think "renovations" as more along the lines of replace old fittings and strutures (doors, windows, flooring, wiring, plumbing, etc.) with new equivalents, and I don't think you need an architect for that.

Peter_in_Hungary Nov 2nd 2017 10:59 pm

Tugela - What are you thinking of doing and where abouts are you. Some of the building methods here are quite different to those of the UK so what may be spec'ed by a UK architect could cause unnecessary expense and/or confusion here.

Nohow Nov 4th 2017 4:20 pm

As Peter asked, whereabouts roughly? Our experience where we are is that you get one well known surveyor who covers an area, unless you're in one of the larger cities.

Tugela Nov 4th 2017 5:29 pm

We have bought in Taska .

wolfi Nov 4th 2017 5:45 pm

Are you here?
Hungary - Táska
Welcome to the Balaton southside!
We're near the eastern end, Keszthely/Hévíz.

Tugela Nov 4th 2017 5:50 pm

No we in the uk but have bought there in taska wanting to do renovations etc etc .

Peter_in_Hungary Nov 5th 2017 5:27 am

The area is outside my knowledge for electricians and plumbers (who would normally do (or get done) the utilities plans here) but I may be able to help if a structural engineer is needed. (e.g. roof calculations if you need to replace the roof or other such work)
What renovations are you planning?

Takerubbish Dec 27th 2017 5:37 am

;););)

Tugela Jan 10th 2018 10:04 am

Hello - hope you guys are all well.
Have any of you gone to get a "residents card" and approximately how long does it take? We are coming to Taska in March for 5 days and wondering if that is enough time to do it?
thanks

jetsam1 Jan 10th 2018 10:37 am

Depends on how much Hungarian you have and whether you have all the paperwork to hand and complete (not always necessarily the case as I have learned from experience). I would say depending on the office you may get it done within that time frame but they may send the address card by post. So you will need to organise to pick that up. If you are getting the residency permit from the immigration office then 5 days will not be enough. You may require more than one visit and they will grill you. Also in all cases in Hungary be prepared to wait a long time and do not assume any English speakers outside Budapest. Or even in Budapest......

Oh and rental income from the UK doesn't count as income as far as the Hungarian authorities are concerned. Just something to bear in mind. This caught me out.

I would say that renovations also depend a lot on what the house is made of. If it is adobe be very, very careful as the last thing you want is a builder smearing it in cement and concrete. Our landlord has done this and essentially I give these buildings maybe 4 or 5 years before they will come down. I.E. the walls have sucked up loads of water and are now crumbling.

And another thing we still don't know what the situation in 18 months time will be in relation to UK citizens in Hungary. I am thinking about contacting the Prime Minister's office about it (I am married to a Hungarian with two Hungarian children and am still unsure about my future status), as I don't quite have 5 years on Brexit date and no-one seems to have much of an idea about what you need to do to apply for citizenship. Anyway that is off-topic!

scrubbedexpat142 Jan 10th 2018 10:50 am

We managed to get ours done easily & in one hit (with the address card following on 2 weeks later) BUT only by using a Hungarian expert who put together & sent through the whole info package up front & then accompanied us to the immigration office (in Budapest).

scrubbedexpat142 Jan 10th 2018 10:52 am

Originally Posted by jetsam1 (Post 12415366)
Depends on how much Hungarian you have and whether you have all the paperwork to hand and complete (not always necessarily the case as I have learned from experience). I would say depending on the office you may get it done within that time frame but they may send the address card by post. So you will need to organise to pick that up. If you are getting the residency permit from the immigration office then 5 days will not be enough. You may require more than one visit and they will grill you. Also in all cases in Hungary be prepared to wait a long time and do not assume any English speakers outside Budapest. Or even in Budapest......

Oh and rental income from the UK doesn't count as income as far as the Hungarian authorities are concerned. Just something to bear in mind. This caught me out.

I would say that renovations also depend a lot on what the house is made of. If it is adobe be very, very careful as the last thing you want is a builder smearing it in cement and concrete. Our landlord has done this and essentially I give these buildings maybe 4 or 5 years before they will come down. I.E. the walls have sucked up loads of water and are now crumbling.

And another thing we still don't know what the situation in 18 months time will be in relation to UK citizens in Hungary. I am thinking about contacting the Prime Minister's office about it (I am married to a Hungarian with two Hungarian children and am still unsure about my future status), as I don't quite have 5 years on Brexit date and no-one seems to have much of an idea about what you need to do to apply for citizenship. Anyway that is off-topic!

I believe you will need very good Hungarian to get citizenship, maybe you have that already?

jetsam1 Jan 10th 2018 10:53 am

Originally Posted by Expatrick (Post 12415380)
I believe you will need very good Hungarian to get citizenship, maybe you have that already?

The joy of trying to find a Hungarian language teacher!! :rofl::lol:

Otherwise it's just hoping. Though I trust the EU and even Orbán over the shower of shit squatting in Westminster.

scrubbedexpat142 Jan 10th 2018 11:03 am

Originally Posted by jetsam1 (Post 12415384)
The joy of trying to find a Hungarian language teacher!! :rofl::lol:

Otherwise it's just hoping. Though I trust the EU and even Orbán over the shower of shit squatting in Westminster.

You're married to a Hungarian! I am more worried about the Brits than the others.