Hostels etc

Old Dec 15th 2010, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hostels etc

I'm hoping to come to Hungary next March to look at houses. I'm not sure which areas I will be staying but I am likely to include places south and west of lake Balaton. At that time of year, would I need to pre-book accomodation or could I just turn up on spec. ?
I normally stay in hostels but it looks like there are not many in Hungary. Is it mostly hotels or are there B&B places as well? When I went to New Zealand there were small cabins you could rent at caravan sites. Is there anything like that in Hungary? The hotels and self catering apartments I've seen advertised online seem expensive but I can't believe there is nothing cheaper as Hungarians are not that wealthy and they must have to stay away from home sometimes.
Old Dec 16th 2010, 2:20 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hostels etc

Hi fidobsa, I think there are a couple, I will try and look out the details for you, though from memory they aren't that cheap.
You shouldn't have any problems finding accommodation at that time of year. When renting, before buying, we found that prices seemed expensive, even chalets at the campsites.

I know of a property which is let by Hungarians, clean, traditional and functional but definitely no frills - 2,500 ft/night. Another I know of is a modern, immaculate apartment let by a British couple, 25 euro/night for a couple with a reduction for single occupancy. These are direct from the owner and I don't get a fee from anyone, just like to help out.

If you want further details feel free to send me a PM.
Old Dec 16th 2010, 2:38 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

South side near lake:

http://www.balatonhostel.hu/

http://www.unityhostel.com/balaton.html

West of Lake:

http://www.touringhotel.hu/en

North West:

http://www.magyarorszag.utazas.hu/ho...A/EN/Home.html (no prices but on another site the prices were about £10/night for the 10 room dorm)

Hope this helps
Old Dec 16th 2010, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info. The Ambient Hostel sounds to be the kind of place I had in mind. Their website seems to have bugs at the moment but I will contact them nearer the time.
Old Dec 16th 2010, 9:12 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

No problem, it's in Keszthely which is a lovley town and handy for searching in the West and South West. The North is lovley but you wont find anything cheap there unless you go quite a bit from the lake.
Old Dec 17th 2010, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

So far I've found about 80 properties of interest online and I've been plotting them on a map printout. There are lots south of lake Balaton and some around the north of the lake. There is also a concentration of about 10 houses located to the east of Budapest so I would probably be best having a base there also perhaps for 3 or 4 days. I think I've found a suitable place to stay in Jászberény, the Kata Vendégszállás. I may have to pay double as they don't have single rooms but it's still cheaper than most places I've seen.
Old Dec 17th 2010, 3:29 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

Theres a lovely Mansion Hotel next door to me, €35 a night and my house is for sale
Old Dec 17th 2010, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by anonimouse
Theres a lovely Mansion Hotel next door to me, €35 a night and my house is for sale
Ah yes, I saw your house on Ebay. I really want something similar but one that's not been modernised. The plan is to come to Hungary for a couple of years and keep myself occupied doing the work myself. It would be quite nice to do up houses and sell them at a profit to make a living but they might prove too difficult to sell.