Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Hospital treatment worries

Hospital treatment worries

Old Nov 16th 2010, 5:04 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hospital treatment worries

Hi,

Just thought I would let you all know about something I learnt about that worries us all from time to time, and my recent experiences.

I recently had to go into hospital here in Hungary, I knew I had a problem and was getting weaker and weaker by the day, because my own doctor was unable to prescribe me the drugs I needed, she gave me the mobile number of the surgeon in the hospital. (Can you believe that?) I called him up and he said pop in and see him......

WoW, I was swept off my feet and blown away by the treatment I received, he greeted me as all the doctors here seem to, with a friendly handshake then I was examined by him and then his colleagues then had blood taken, then they had spotted something that needed operating on, no messing about, they just did it there and then under local anaesthetic. (No time for me to be scared I thought he was just looking, lol)

I was told to go to the larger hospital later on so I went home got some gear together and went along, again what amazing treatment, they gave me every test under the sun, then I was asked if I preferred my own private room just a few 1000ft a night extra, which I opted for.

In all I was in for three weeks and had 7 pints of blood, many other infusions, xrays, endoscopy's, colonoscopy, blood checked daily they always gave me a copy of the results too, ECG´s, even some kind of special scan to measure bone density.

I can not praise the system here in Hungary enough, you can more or less walk in off the street and within minutes you get the all attention you need and by Doctors that treat you like an equal human being, and if they see a problem deal with it immediately, and actually seem to be pleased to help you.

In the UK you would spend hours in A and E just waiting and then face a barrage of personal questions before getting any treatment.

I was very worried about having to go into Hospital here and thought I would be better going back to the UK.

How wrong I was, The treatment I got here in the first half an hour alone would have taken me 6 months to get to in the UK, with all the appointments they would have insisted on.

Anyway I just wanted to share my experience in case anyone has any health worries and thinks they may need hospital treatment in Hungary in the future, Don´t be thinking they are behind the times and like a third world country, well not unless you are thinking of going back to the UK for treatment that is, because here it´s an absolutely unbeatable service by friendly Doctors who talk to you like a friend. If I was in the UK I would do my best to get here to have hospital treatment, not the other way around

One thing though, the food is cr#p so get a room with a microwave and fridge in, and you´ll be OK.

Hope this post puts a few minds at rest?
Old Nov 16th 2010, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

richardmc has a spectacular aura aboutrichardmc has a spectacular aura aboutrichardmc has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Hospital treatment worries

Hello Anonymouse, where was the Hospital ?
Old Nov 16th 2010, 6:10 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, Sarvar and stayed in Zsombathely.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 8:20 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Anonimouse, firstly, sorry to hear you were unwell and I hope you are feeling better now.

It's nice to hear of a positive experience in a Hungarian hospital as unfortunately not all are so. Many are lacking in equipment and indeed service and finding a good hospital is important. Not long after arriving here, we had a bad experience with a local hospital but have been informed by Hungarians that the hospital in another nearby town is far better and as such we will be trying that one next time.
Our main issue with the hospital was the "god like" attitude of the consultant and some doctors, the lack of communication between domestics, kitchen staff, doctors and nurses.
Equipment we take for granted in the UK, for example, stats machines are in short supply with one being shared between many wards.

Admittedly, you are seen immediately though I believe this is not always so for Hungarians, we have a friend who has been waiting on a back operation for over a year. We also found that the number of tests being done was far in excess of what was required. Our son has been in hospital in several different countries for the same problem and the procedure, tests and treatment are always the same, apart from here. He was given several ecg's, blood was taken on a daily basis, chest xrays etc, also he was kept in for 10 days when 2-3 days is more usual. Only a fraction of these were necessary and we had to step in as it became apparent that, in our opinion, he was being kept in longer than necessary and given every test under the sun in the knowledge that our European Health card was covering the cost!

Again I am pleased that you have found yourself a good hospital but sadly they are not all the same. Might have to drive up your way next time
Old Nov 17th 2010, 6:06 pm

Hi Rural,

You may be right about over the top treatment, I had to see my Doctor today and she says I need some more blood, she wants me in next week for 5 days.

5 Days, I had to say that I thought that was a bit ott, but she insists, she says she wants to try new tablets too.

Her excuse was that other patients would complain if they saw me going home every day, I found this most odd, she did seem to get quite cross so I agreed to stay in next week.

How will she know the tablets are any better since I am already without bad symptoms now, I must say today I am a little miffed knowing I have to go back for another week, well she says hopefully only a week, That will take me to a month of just lyeing in my private room alone, they don´t pester me much they just pop in with tablets three times a day and take blood at 4am every morning, and on the odd occasion throw new tests at me.

Anyway, That´s me away for another week, at least they do have free internet for me. But I am thinking it´s OTT, I´ll report back when they release me
Old Nov 21st 2010, 5:28 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Anonimouse, I am so sorry to hear that you have been admitted again and hope you make a speedy recovery.

Speaking with neighbours, long hospital stays seem quite common here, I suppose in one respect it is reassuring. However, in our case, we knew there was no need for it. That said, we had other more serious concerns as my son was given food items to which he could have suffered an anaphylactic shock then given medication which could have caused serious complications with an existing heart condition. There was no excuse for either apart from a complete lack of communication between domestics, nurses and the consultant.

We have only had experience of one hospital and therefore cannot comment on others. Though, what we often hear from other expats is that on entering the hospital, you basically become "the property" of the hospital, that is, you do what you are told, when you are told and do not dare question your treatment. If you can accept this and the lack of equipment then yes the medical facilities are very good. An example is when my youngest daughter twisted her ankle whilst playing football, we drove her to hospital and she was seen by a doctor, x-rayed and given the all clear within an hour. Compare it to the 6 hours we sat in the casualty department of a London hospital when my son bumped his head and yes the service is far superior.

Perhaps, if and when, we need to visit another Hungarian hospital, the experience will be a better one.
Old Nov 21st 2010, 5:56 pm

Hi again Rural,

Yes again I think you are right about becoming their property, when they translated the papers that I had to sign on admittance one of the things the doctor did say was, "that I will not try to leave" amongst a few other things that I though were also quite strange.

I find the equipment is, or at least looks, modern and both the hospitals here are being refurbished.

They tend to put me in my room and leave me to it, my only gripe is that it´s so boring and IMO it´s so totally unnecessary, I only need a little blood that I should have had before being discharged last time, apparently there was an accident then and somebody needed it more than me, and they say it´s a rare group and didn´t have enough for both of us.

Anyway I´m in again tomorrow, I´ll report back
Old Nov 24th 2010, 3:16 pm

Home tomorrow, blood levels all ok.

4 days for two bottles of blood....huh.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 2:06 pm

Back in Hospital for more blood today. (This post from my private room)

The service here is outstanding, I went for blood test to Sarvar hospital, I was shocked when they directed me around the back of the building, Wow they have built a new hospital I didn't know about, so it's all very modern now.

I had blood taken and they give me the results printed out, I go to Zsobathely hospital and find out my bloods too low, I must come in tomorrow, (today). I just can not believe that this would happen in the uk without many appointments and at least days waiting,

I just though I would reiterate, If anyone has any doubts about the health system here in Hungary, dispel them as it really is not only good, but super fast too, and they are so friendly too.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 2:13 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Unfortunately, I don't think it is so across the board Anonimouse. I am delighted that you have had excellent treatment and admittedly the "lack of a waiting list" is definitely a bonus.

Good luck
Old Jan 20th 2011, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

As it happens, my interest in moving to Hungary stems from concerns about health care costs in France. I was looking to buy a house in France but have heard about a UK expat. being charged 1000 Euros a night for a hospital bed plus treatment costs, of which only 75% could be claimed back from NHS. I gather that costs are lower in Hungary but what do most expats do when the 2 year EHIC cover expires? Do you have to get health insurance or is it affordable to just pay for private treatment as required?
Old Jan 20th 2011, 8:50 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by fidobsa
Do you have to get health insurance or is it affordable to just pay for private treatment as required?

I think you might find some answers here if not, just ask again
Old Jan 21st 2011, 4:03 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Would like to add that the service from our local GP is second to none. My son has seen her several times before and again today. On each occasion we have been seen without 10 minutes, without an appointment and she refuses to accept any payment