Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Hibiscus syriacus half price at Obi - 3 perennials that love it in Hungary over

Hibiscus syriacus half price at Obi - 3 perennials that love it in Hungary over

Old Nov 14th 2018, 5:13 pm
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hibiscus syriacus half price at Obi - 3 perennials that love it in Hungary o

Originally Posted by Pilis Nemzeti Park Fella
You'd have to trawl through the Termékkereső box (then press Keres) - try keywords Prunus or törpe.

But if it was me, I'd be buying regular cherry trees (put cseresznye in that box) and keeping them pruned to the height you want. They don't grow that vigorously if on the common rootstocks so it wouldn't be too much work, just a bit of shaping every 3 years or so if needed - though I rarely if ever prune ours (once you have the branch shape you want), just weigh the lower branches down in the early years so that they grow lower to make picking the cherries easier. I've also seen apple trees in the Balaton area pruned to be a screen, ie like espaliers but higher & more formalised into a wall effect. That looked good, so it was only basically a tree trunk thick on one dimension (depth) but good as a screen on height & length. It would be this sort of shape:

We've got quite a few cherry trees and they are very trouble free, no need IMV for the manic spraying that some Hungarians go in for. We don't spray anything (apart from our box bushes! against those devastating caterpillars) and they all give good fruit, the pears usually get a few diseased leaves but the apples, cherries, apricot just look healthy without it, I do feed them all though. A very good year for cherries, 2018.

But cherry trees should be readily available, several different varieties, all over Hungary, no particular need to order online.

Thanks, I had not thought about apple trees either. I have a lot to consider before next spring.
Old Nov 14th 2018, 6:07 pm
Just Joined

Dickyb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hibiscus syriacus half price at Obi - 3 perennials that love it in Hungary o

On a different note when do you folk bring your geraniums planted in containers indoors? Ours have done marvelously over summer and we don't want to lose them.
Old Nov 14th 2018, 6:31 pm
Banned

Pilis Nemzeti Park Fella is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Dickyb
On a different note when do you folk bring your geraniums planted in containers indoors? Ours have done marvelously over summer and we don't want to lose them.
They won't take much frost. Should be OK down to -2C or similar for a few nights but I'd bring them in before the first frost to keep them looking good. Over winter/ until spring - they don't need that much water, they shouldn't dry out, they need decent light if possible, stop them flowering too much, feed them a little bit, you might consider cutting them back a bit as well - ie to a healthy leaf then cut off the rest.
Old Nov 14th 2018, 7:35 pm
Just Joined

Dickyb is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that Pilis fella. I'll get on with it.