Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Help needed - buying property

Help needed - buying property

Old May 27th 2015, 7:18 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help needed - buying property

Sorry, I thought you said you read online it was 3%. It used to be dependant on property price but this changed about a year ago and a flat rate of 4% was applied. The rate is not variable across regions so assuming you mean village tax. I'm wondering if your link has outdated information as our solicitor, whom we work with on a regular basis, has not mentioned any recent tax changes but I'll ask him tomorrow.
Old May 27th 2015, 7:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
Hi
There are a few things about the Hungarian property market that I think it is worth saying some of which is mentioned in Pollypaprika's post - 6 Things You Should Know Before Buying in Rural Hungary. | The Daily Hungary,

The Hungarian property market, unlike the UK, is in a position of over supply, due to IMO years of falling population and bias in the financial market. It is not unusual to have houses on the market for 10 years or more. My son has just bought his first house in a village, walking distance to Lake Velence, 15 mins commute from Székesfehérvár, a regional centre city, The house he bought had been empty for 10 years, most of the houses he viewed were empty.

Houses here should be bought to live in, not as an investment. Reselling can take years and money spent on renovation may not come back.

Unlike the UK house plots for new build are easy to to buy, but again unlike the UK it will be much cheaper to buy a second hand house than build new for your self.

Hungarian estate agents are not constrained by the consumer protection laws that abound in the UK so it is very much a case of 'buyer beware'. It doesn't matter how helpful the estate agent appears never forget they are first working for their profit line, then second the seller and the buyer is the cash cow!

Depending upon the area many older houses will be built of adobe type mud brick. Personally I would not recommend such a build to anyone who does not know how to manage this type of construction. Incorrect renovation / repairs can spell disaster for this build and you can not rely on the 'local builder' to do thing properly if the owner is not there to stop concrete or other unsuitable materials being used.

Always compare prices between agents and in local papers. You can also find houses by driving around your chosen area looking for home made 'elado' (for sale) signs hung on fences or gates. Estate agents don't typically put 'for sale' signs as in the UK.

Choose your area, then spend lots of time looking. IMO a 2 week holiday is nowhere near long enough to find the right place. - and have a Hungarian speaker with you, who will preferably make the first contact and establish the price.
Agree with everything said here...absolutely. Well done for such an informative post. Should be a sticky!
Old May 27th 2015, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

cathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angolmagyar
I prefer the private adds. However did look at many estate agents and only a very small % replied ?. and the internal photos were of a lamp or a tv and not of the room...also photos internally and no external at all ?. hello!!! lol I have a car for sale but only showing bad internal photos, are you interested. LOL!.
So true. We always get a laugh out of the photos. Most of the time there isn't even a photo of the outside of the house. Must be an opportunity for someone there.....
Old May 27th 2015, 7:45 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary

Depending upon the area many older houses will be built of adobe type mud brick. Personally I would not recommend such a build to anyone who does not know how to manage this type of construction. Incorrect renovation / repairs can spell disaster for this build and you can not rely on the 'local builder' to do thing properly if the owner is not there to stop concrete or other unsuitable materials being used.
Couldn't agree more with this Peter. If I hear of one more adobe house being cement rendered, dry lined or having a damp proof course fitted - I don't know what I'll do as it is so frustrating! "My local builder is a master and he has been doing this to adobe houses for 20 years with no problems......"
Old May 27th 2015, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Couldn't agree more with this Peter. If I hear of one more adobe house being cement rendered, dry lined or having a damp proof course fitted - I don't know what I'll do as it is so frustrating! "My local builder is a master and he has been doing this to adobe houses for 20 years with no problems......"
Hear hear!!
Old May 27th 2015, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cathyg
So true. We always get a laugh out of the photos. Most of the time there isn't even a photo of the outside of the house. Must be an opportunity for someone there.....
The worse thing on ingatlan is the seller not revealing the exact location of the house but the colour, style and scenery if any is a easy give away if you know the area well. In my case my parents-in-laws village.
Old May 27th 2015, 7:54 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Did I ever tell you about the guy who asked me how to "build" a French drain and three years later was apparently a "master" builder/craftsman? Dug out a drain right next to an adobe wall with no foundations and it collapsed..... He's a certain companies recommended builder now
Old May 27th 2015, 7:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Our house is also of the adobe type like many/most in the village. One problem there if the house stands empty for long is that the walls will "rip", usually in the middle you see a vertical rip, the plaster will fall down in some places and then the roof will give in ...
It really is a shame!

On the other hand some people do (like me) put a second/half storey on top in connection with a new roof which gives you a lot of additional room.

PS:
When I looked at the inside of the house it looked ok (I'm not an expert ...) but soon I found that the nice wooden floor was rotten in several places so we had it taken out and put tiles in.

All in all the relevant point is:
You have to look carefully or even better have a real expert do it - don't believe in what the seller or the agent will tell you ...
Old May 27th 2015, 8:06 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Most of them will have rotten joists and at least some of the boards will be gone. Worst thing you can do is put in a concrete floor. Best you can do is a suspended wooden floor or limecrete and natural stone - both of which add to the character.

Is it your property that "rips"? Is the plaster lime plaster and is it coming away directly under a beam or just anywhere on the wall?
Old May 27th 2015, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

No, no, mine is ok!
I think our builder did everything right - or at least I hope so!
We've been living here in the house for around 15 years.
Old May 27th 2015, 8:32 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by wolfi
No, no, mine is ok!
I think our builder did everything right - or at least I hope so!
We've been living here in the house for around 15 years.
Haha, pleased to hear that. They can be wonderful houses when renovated and maintained correctly, full of character.
Old May 27th 2015, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

angolmagyar is an unknown quantity at this point

Well guys if one gets an unrepeatable builder things will go wrong and thats UK or Hungary.
I have always said use a reputable one.
But to post my builder stuffed this n that is really your fault. UK or Hungary. Thr is so many programs on UK TV based around cowboy builders.
Go off recommendations and look at existing work. Never pay up front. The way I have had work done here that I can not manage myself is I pay for materials up front and Labour costs on completion and I wouldnt pay if not to my standard...now this is not just me but seems to be the norm around here.
very many houses here in the village are built from valyog and do have good footings and then built with valyog onto a three foot of stone where a damp course is fitted during the build.
BUT yes!!! if you buy a valyog house that is literally built onto the soil and without footings is silly, these houses even when viewed in mid summer cannot hide that thr has been or is damp. WHY would one buy them.
I see so many doom and gloom post on here to questions asked when really thr is as many positive outcomes too.
I bought vályog house as have many people i know here in the village and in other villages without major issues...the reason is that on this type of build you cannot hide imperfections and faults so if buy it this way its ones own fault.
I bought mine with known faults at a uk price of est £15k and now stands me at around £25k but the refurbishment was done as I asked and wanted it and is inclusive of all external ground work and looks fab. I could not of bought the same house with this spec now at this price here in this area.
Come on guys if you buy a car with a duff engine its not the fault of the manufacturer or if you employ a gardener to fix the engine its not Hungarian Mechanics that are crap.
Good thread
Udv
AM

Last edited by angolmagyar; May 27th 2015 at 8:58 pm.
Old May 27th 2015, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

Ps/ I have had the odd after the event complaint and the guys have always returned and rectified. (Chose a reputable builder) dont guess that they are.
Old May 27th 2015, 9:10 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

I don't think you understand. Most British people have no idea what an adobe house is, nor the methods required when renovating. As for Hungarian builders and recommendations, the majority of Hungarian builders will attach a wire mesh then cement render to an adobe house, then they will concrete the floors, some even incorporating a DPM. Ask them to use traditional methods and they act as if you are crazy - there are few master craftsmen about who will restore these properties the way they should.

You can say it's their own fault, they should have researched more but whether it be the UK or Hungary, some people are not as well informed or are more vulnerable to unscrupulous people and only by others pointing out the pitfalls will others hopefully become aware and avoid them.

Anyhow, I'll dip out now and let the thread go back on topic.
Old May 27th 2015, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
I don't think you understand. Most British people have no idea what an adobe house is, nor the methods required when renovating. As for Hungarian builders and recommendations, the majority of Hungarian builders will attach a wire mesh then cement render to an adobe house, then they will concrete the floors, some even incorporating a DPM. Ask them to use traditional methods and they act as if you are crazy - there are few master craftsmen about who will restore these properties the way they should.

You can say it's their own fault, they should have researched more but whether it be the UK or Hungary, some people are not as well informed or are more vulnerable to unscrupulous people and only by others pointing out the pitfalls will others hopefully become aware and avoid them.

Anyhow, I'll dip out now and let the thread go back on topic.

regrds
AM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.