Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

hello all newbe needs help.....

hello all newbe needs help.....

Old Jul 20th 2014, 8:53 pm
Just Joined

ranger5991 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default hello all newbe needs help.....

hi all just needing some help to start...thinking of buying property in hungary just wanting to know
are the propertys on the hungarian houses web site about the right price or have they been bump up...and is there any more site i could go on..
just starting to look so i can get some idea thanks
Old Jul 21st 2014, 4:48 am
BE Enthusiast

mawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: hello all newbe needs help.....

Originally Posted by ranger5991
hi all just needing some help to start...thinking of buying property in hungary just wanting to know
are the propertys on the hungarian houses web site about the right price or have they been bump up...and is there any more site i could go on..
Yes and No Selling Agents selling are give a price by the Seller it is usually greater than the asking Price, a friend in a Town called Tarnok 25 km. from B.pest 3 bed 20 years built asking price 24 mill. negated it down to 17 mill. In my case I was able to reduce price down in proportion to above.
But the worst is for some of use who bought Property say 5 years ago are Loosing Money owing to the strong Pound exchange rate, I am trying to Sell but I will be Loosing 4,684 pounds on the Deal So find the right Area you won't to be at knock the price Down and By now as the Strong Pound will give a good investment but remember the saying Hungarians can smell Money so stick by your price they will take your Money you offer digger
Old Jul 21st 2014, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

The Hungarian housing market is very different to the UK. People here don't tend to move as frequently as in the UK. Certainly historically people tended to stay put for a long time and a far more people will have built their own house than in the UK. Estate agents are a relatively new phenomena, say within the last 15 - 20 years. The industry is largely unregulated and there are a number of cowboys / rouges around who will fleece foreigners at any opportunity. You don't say where you want to buy, in most villages there are houses that have been empty for years, in my local village there are several empty houses and plots and 2 properties have been on the market for 8 or 9 years. (due IMO to the price demanded by the sellers) Another property in the next village was on the market for 10 years and the seller got the price he was asking - but it took 10 years for inflation to catch up with his price which he had not altered since the outset.
IMO Hungary is not a place that you should be looking to buy, keep for a few years and then sell at a profit. Buy the place you want to live in and use. By all means look at the various internet sites but also do a lot of off line local looking to compare prices like for like on the internet and locally marketed. It will help if you can get a Hungarian to help as often the price will be put up for a foreigner.
Don't forget that agents are working primarily for their own benefit, after that for the benefit of the seller and their profit comes from the buyer. This can lead the unscrupulous to very dubious practices. Much more so than in the UK it's buyer beware.
There are also some types of house construction (adobe or mud brick) that are difficult to maintain and impossible to get a loan on. You would not necessarily know this by looking at the property, but you will have difficulty when it comes to resale. Of course agents are under no obligation to tell you this and it has been known for some to misinform about the construction type and problems.
Old Jul 21st 2014, 7:53 am
BE Enthusiast

cathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Have a look on ingatlan.com - A legtöbb ingatlan egy helyen. which is the Hungarian equivalent of Rightmove. Make sure you do your research, a lot of the English sites selling houses in Hungary have higher prices. Lots more people here now speak some English so don't be frightened of using an Hungarian agent.
This is not a country to be buying property as an investment, you will be buying into a lifestyle and that's why the majority of us live here because we can afford a better lifestyle. I know that if I needed to go back to the Uk for any reason I cannot rely on selling my house quickly as it could take several years.
Having said that I have a much better life here and hope that I can stay here for the rest of my life
Old Jul 21st 2014, 8:01 am
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

We've just managed to sell one of our houses but it was up for sale for 2 years and the price had to be dropped dramatically.
Of the 3 houses that we've bought over here 2 of them were found by driving around and looking for "ELADO" signs in windows. You'd be amazed how many houses are actually for sale without being advertised with an agent or on the internet. You need to decide where you want to buy and come over and look around.
Old Jul 21st 2014, 12:01 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

I think I know the site you mean and if I'm right, they are slightly inflated but by no means are they the worst offender! There are a couple you should avoid completely.
Not all English sites sell at higher prices, the way we operate is the property is listed at the price the owner or local agent is asking for, we then charge a fee between £650-850 depending on the price of the property. This includes the solicitors fee, land registry fee, our assistance with changing utilities, holding keys if required, acting as POA, drawing up the POA and looking after you during your trip to Hungary. Considering other companies offer the same services for £1500-£2,000 excluding solicitors fess and some even also get a cut of agents commissions. Considering some solicitors fee are a minimum of £500, we think it's a good deal.
The problem us and others advertising in GBP have is that when the forint fluctuates dramatically, the sterling price obviously changes and so we advise clients to contact us for the current actual price. Also, as just mentioned in a previous thread, you can usually expect to offer 10% less, sometimes 20% though rarely more than this.
Old Jul 21st 2014, 12:07 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulinEger
We've just managed to sell one of our houses but it was up for sale for 2 years and the price had to be dropped dramatically.
Congrats Paul
Old Jul 21st 2014, 4:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Rural. At least we'll be mortgage free again soon. Having 3 houses in different places was a pain to keep on top of.
Going to look at another house 2 doors down from us that's up for sale when we go back to Hungary (currently on a mini break in England) as that would make a great guest house to replace the one we're just selling. It will have to be cheap though
Old Jul 21st 2014, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

thanks all for the info
its all new to me so your comment and help are welcome...
am coming over in september to have a look around..
i have not made a decision on an area yet!
i would like to live in hungary for six months then back to the uk to work in the winter thats my idea anyway if i can get it to work am on my own so only have to worry about myself.
would like to be self sufficient if i can make it work then i can live there all year round.
would like to run a business but will have to see if there is anything i can make work have been thinking of b/b or camp site or an on-line depending on b/band etc..
all help is welcome thanks all
Old Jul 21st 2014, 10:20 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

thanks all for the info
its all new to me so your comment and help are welcome...
am coming over in september to have a look around..
i have not made a decision on an area yet!
i would like to live in hungary for six months then back to the uk to work in the winter thats my idea anyway if i can get it to work am on my own so only have to worry about myself.
would like to be self sufficient if i can make it work then i can live there all year round.
would like to run a business but will have to see if there is anything i can make work have been thinking of b/b or camp site or an on-line depending on b/band etc..
all help is welcome thanks all
Your welcome Ranger, there's usually somebody about who can give you an answer. I'm hoping to do a bit of a reccy in different areas in a couple of weeks, will try take a selection of photos and post them. Hoping to cover the area North and West of Pecs, Tatabanya, Esztergom and over to Eger as well as Zala and just over the border into Vas.... Going to be busy!
Old Jul 21st 2014, 10:30 pm
Just Joined

thanks rural that will be a help just having a look at your blog site at the mo
cheers frank
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 7:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
I'm hoping to do a bit of a reccy in different areas in a couple of weeks, over to Eger .... Going to be busy!
Were you thinking of saying hi whilst out this way?
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 4:18 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by PaulinEger
Were you thinking of saying hi whilst out this way?
Well if that's an offer and some of your homemade brew is on the go..... How could I refuse