Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Healthcare requirements to satisfy immigration

Healthcare requirements to satisfy immigration

Old Aug 14th 2021, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

hobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Healthcare requirements to satisfy immigration

Greetings all,
I need to ask advice on what level of healthcare coverage is required by immigration before I begin the daunting task of renewing my resident card as required due to the Brexit transition period coming towards the end.
I have a current EHIC card that, whilst it can't be renewed, is still valid until it expires which in my case is next May. Whilst I am aware that is more for visitors than residents, I was regularly travelling back and forth to the UK before the Covid crisis and would do so again if any sense of normality ever returns. I suspect that having the EHIC card would not be enough to satisfy immigration ?
I have looked into signing up for TAJ and went to the Kormanyablak in town a few days ago to enquire and from what I could gather from the one staff member who spoke basic English, I can apply for TAJ healthcare but would have to renounce my UK NHS health coverage ... which is not something I am prepared to do ! Should normality return and I go back and forth again, I don't want to find myself in the situation of being a UK citizen requiring travel insurance to visit the UK ... and as it is tied in with my state pension that I will be of age to receive in four years time, I don't want to put that at risk ... I would have to continue to pay national insurance to keep my pension contributions up to date but have no access to the NHS should I ever need it ! Oddly, my German neighbour went to the same Kormanyablak and they dealt with her TAJ application and she now has both the German health coverage along with the Hungarian TAJ health coverage so it must be possible to be under two different state systems ? !
If both of the above scenarios are not an option, then I guess I will need to take out a private policy with the likes of Generali to show immigration !!
Any useful advice appreciated !
Old Aug 14th 2021, 12:21 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Healthcare requirements to satisfy immigration

You can't use the NHS unless you are actually resident within the UK (as opposed to visiting) and as you suggest, your UK EHIC is not for use while resident in Hungary. You need to pay into the Hungarian system until you retire, at which point you can obtain an S1 from the UK to cover your health care costs in Hungary. My TAJ card currently costs me less than 8000Ft per month.
Old Aug 14th 2021, 1:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

From UK Govt. -

"This means that you must be living lawfully in the UK on a properly settled basis to be entitled to free healthcare. The measure of residence that the UK uses to determine whether someone is entitled to free NHS healthcare is known as 'ordinary residence'."

Old Aug 14th 2021, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

hobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that Expatrick ... it's confusing as it is possible to have dual residency, or so I have been led to believe !
Old Aug 14th 2021, 1:25 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by hobgoblins
Thanks for that Expatrick ... it's confusing as it is possible to have dual residency, or so I have been led to believe !
You can have dual citizenship but not dual residency (putting aside residency for tax purposes, which is a different thing!).

I think the important thing is that you are not giving up NHS care, to all intent & purpose it has given you up! Also your NI contributions are, as you suggest, for your UK State pension, not for the NHS (I know the UK govt tops up NHS funding from the NI fund but that's nothing to do with us ordinary mortals.)

I also believe (& happy to be corrected) that once in the Hungarian system you may be entitled to a Hungarian EHIC which would cover your needs while visiting the UK.

I can't explain your German neighbours situation, maybe Germany & Hungary still being in the EU (as opposed to the UK) has a bearing, although I don't think it should.
Old Aug 14th 2021, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for clearing that up Expatrick !
I would guess then that if I were to sign up to the Hungarian system, they would notify the UK and I wouldn't have to do anything more ...

Last edited by hobgoblins; Aug 14th 2021 at 1:41 pm. Reason: added
Old Aug 14th 2021, 1:40 pm
Account Closed

You're welcome, but please check on the Hungarian EHIC entitlement before you travel, my knowledge of this is not secure!
Old Aug 14th 2021, 1:45 pm
Account Closed

I would guess then that if I were to sign up to the Hungarian system, they would notify the UK and I wouldn't have to do anything more ...
Sorry, hit send too quickly! Not sure about notifying the UK, I don't think they needed to in my case. In my Wife's case (now covered by a UK S1) she had to obtain & present her S1 (obtaining a replacement TAJ card in the process). Again, not sure about notifying the UK, can't see as that would be necessary but obviously the inner workings of governments are all opaque to me!
Old Aug 14th 2021, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks again Expatrick ... I will see what I can find out ... I think I will need to make a trip to the Kormanyablak in Zeg with my neighbour and find out all of the ins and outs !!
Old Aug 14th 2021, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Your EHIC is issued by the country where you pay your NI. As far as I know you can only pay NI in one country an that is the one in which you are resident. You may have an entitlement to be resident in more than one county but the one where you spend more than 180 days a year is where you will be resident. (I think)
You can make voluntary payments to the UK state pension scheme whilst you are out of the country (or to make up missed time) and the gov. website has a pension calculator to help you work out your expected pension.
Pensions in Hungary are zero rated for income tax so if you are resident here your state pension will be paid gross and no tax will be levied here.
Old Aug 14th 2021, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Peter ! I have paid the NI contributions to date and I have reached the maximum amount of pension that will be payable so I am ok on that score ! I spend far more time here than the UK ( all of the time since the virus spread ) so would be classed as resident here more so than the Uk but I don't work here or earn an income here so ... it just gets complicated ! I will see what they say in the Kormanyablak although advice can vary from office to office of course ! Maybe the best advice I have been given is just take the easy route and get a private health policy for now !!
Old Aug 15th 2021, 12:19 am
Account Closed

Thanks Peter ! I have paid the NI contributions to date and I have reached the maximum amount of pension that will be payable so I am ok on that score ! I spend far more time here than the UK ( all of the time since the virus spread ) so would be classed as resident here more so than the Uk but I don't work here or earn an income here so ... it just gets complicated ! I will see what they say in the Kormanyablak although advice can vary from office to office of course ! Maybe the best advice I have been given is just take the easy route and get a private health policy for now !!
Actually no, it's pretty straightforward. You are resident in Hungary, not in the UK, therefore you are not entitled to NHS funded care. Forget NI contributions, they are nothing to do with with health care. Luckily it's not complicated. Forget paying for private health care, you do not need to do that. Sign up for the TAJ card, that's it!

PS: Do not confuse residency with tax residency! I am resident in Hungary but for tax purposes I am tax resident in the UK (worse luck).

Last edited by scrubbedexpat142; Aug 15th 2021 at 12:23 am.
Old Aug 15th 2021, 6:34 am
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

Back to your original question.....
I am not aware of the immigration authorities requiring proof of health cover to renew your residence permit. It's not on the application form if you already have a residence permit.
Old Aug 15th 2021, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PaulinEger
Back to your original question.....
I am not aware of the immigration authorities requiring proof of health cover to renew your residence permit. It's not on the application form if you already have a residence permit.
Thanks Paul, that's useful to know ... I will concentrate on getting the form filled out and submitted as a priority in that case !
Old Aug 15th 2021, 8:16 am
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

From the BMBAH site when applying for Residency (Not Permanent)DOCUMENTS PROVING THE EXISTENCE OF COMPREHENSIVE HEALTH INSURANCE

Enclosed with the application for residence permit the applicant shall provide proof of having access to comprehensive health insurance services (in particular on the basis of specific other legislation on the social security system, international agreement, or under specific agreement), or that he/she has the necessary financial resources to cover the costs of such services.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Not sure if all types of Residency require proof or not but the Residency Permit I have they asked for proof.

I am applying in December for Permanent Residency and I am expecting them to require proof then also.

Hopefully after getting approved I can purchase the Hungarian State Insuranve TAJ Card and pay into it and then drop the expat Insurance because it is very expensive if you have had back surgery and are over 60.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.