Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Health Insurance & Health Care

Health Insurance & Health Care

Old Jun 29th 2010, 11:57 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health Insurance

Copied from the Retirement to lake balaton Hungary thread:

Health Insurance & Hungaran National Health

Can anyone help please.

I wonder what one has to do to qualify for the Hungarian health system. I understand if you are employed you will be covered. I also know that UK pensions can get a form from UK authorites which allows for registration with the Hungarian health service.

If you are not employed & not over 65, I wonder how you get into the system?

Does anyone have any experience or knowlege of this they can share?

All the best

John

Hi again John, okay, the info I have is that voluntary contributions are approx 140 euro / month : under 18 years, 80 euro /per. Compared to £600+ / year (depending on preexisting conditions and age) for private insurance. The only downside of private insurance is that most won't cover preexisting conditions for a period of 12 months or more.
Hope this helps

Hi, I've just noticed your discussion and thought I'd add a bit. My husband and I are 59 and took early retirement to Hungary 4 years ago.
The first couple of years were covered for health by our uk National Insurance contributions, then we applied to contribute to the Hungarian system. Last year the contributions were 4,500 forints each a month and this year they have gone up to 4,950 forints each a month!

Hi Len and Cheryl and welcome to the thread. That is definitely interesting and would love more details.

I was led to believe that your payments were 50% of the minimum would and 30% if under 18 so if there is a cheaper option, that would be brilliant.

Did they accept your EHIC or when you applied for residency or did you not apply for residency until you were paying Hungarian contributions? Is the EHIC not only valid for a maximum of 12 months unless you continue to pay UK NI?

John, have a couple of websites but if it is possible to get full cover for less than 5,000 ft a month, that would be worth looking at.

Hi,
I've been digging through papers to try and find the information.

When you leave the uk you are entitled to up to 2 and half years health cover based on your previous years NI contributions (we had a bit less because we delayed applying and previous years contributions don't count!)

We telephoned the uk Pension service (the no. was a few years ago 0044 191 21 81999)

The form was E106 which they completed and faxed to us.
This as proof of health cover allowed us to get our residency.
We also obtained our ID card and tax card and Health card

When the uk cover expired a Hungarian friend took us to the local county health and tax office to sort it out.
They issued the new health card there and then and sent out 12 yellow checks for payment, but we opted to pay by standing order through the bank.

So far its worked extremely well
Cheryl
Old Mar 19th 2011, 7:50 pm
Just Joined

paulette is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Health Care for Over 60's EU citizens living in Hungry

Would welcome advise on what is available and other members experience. Thank you
Old Mar 20th 2011, 10:07 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health Insurance & Health Care

Hi Paulette, I have added this to the existing health care and health insurance thread, it just keeps the site a bit tidier and makes it easier for users to find information
Old Mar 21st 2011, 8:02 pm
Just Joined

paulette is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Health Insurance & Health Care

Thank you this has been most helpful