Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Health insurance

Health insurance

Old Feb 1st 2019, 6:16 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health insurance

To qualify at the rate quoted above you wait a year, 90 days pre registration period plus 9 months. You can pay in after 90 days but you pay a lot more than 7500 FTS per month (I forget the exact rate).

See also post #2 above.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat142; Feb 1st 2019 at 6:19 pm.
Old Feb 2nd 2019, 12:36 pm
Just Joined

Vangel is an unknown quantity at this point

well each to their own... I have no problem with meat eaters at all just suprised that there isn't that much veggie but most likely it will be centred around Budapest where the younger generation will have picked up on this first.. Perhaps we would need a weekly trip to Buda to fill up!
Old Feb 2nd 2019, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

rickster000 is an unknown quantity at this point

As mentioned above, there is a blip in the system with UK citizens getting the E104 Form which the Hungarians request, which causes problems for many people - although not everyone seemingly. I have raised this issue with the British Embassy in Budapest and have an ongoing correspondence with them and they have spoken to the Hungarian authorities. Unfortunately no solution has come as yet. Rather, from the replies, the thing seems a bit more confusing.

Previously the UK side told me that, rather than ask you to get an E104 from the UK, the correct procedure was that the Hungarians had to request a FORM SO41 from the UK authorities directly.
In my first reply from the Hungarian side via the British Embassy, they said the SO41 was not the form the needed.
In my second reply from the Hungarian side via the embassy they wrote "E104 (SO41)" thus suggesting it is what they want.

So all still a bit unclear. And I am still chasing them for a solution. But with that part (about the E104 and SO41) in mind, here is the latest reply to me (from last month). Possibly it will be of some use to the OP or others.

British citizens who would like to move to Hungary, they have to contact the Immigration and Asylum Office in order to legalize their stay in HungaryResidence in Hungary Registration is also for EEA citizen a must.

If we are speaking about retired persons, the situation is really simple as the only need to provide a form E 121 (S1) to the competent Hungarian authority. Once they will have a permanent residence in Hungary, with the form E 121 (S1) they will get the Hungarian social insurance number.

If they are not retired yet, and they will be employed in Hungary, their employer will order the social insurance number for them. They are not legally allowed to order the insurance number instead of the employer.

If they are not retired yet and they won’t be employed, they have to prove that they are no longer insured in any other EEA member state. If they are no longer insured in the UK or any other EEA member state but they have already a Hungarian residence card since 365 days you have the possibility to contact the tax office and pay a monthly contribution (7.500,- HUF) and get an insurance card. If they have a legal permanent residence in Hungary less than 12 months but they had permanent residence in the territory in any EEA member state before, as EEA citizen they have the possibility to make periods of residence totalize in order to prove a 12 months-long period of permanent residence in the territory of the EEA.

To prove that they are not insured in any other EEA member state any more, they have to submit a form E 104 (S041). In point 6. their former health insurance agency can indicate the last day of your insurance entitlement. In point 7. they also can indicate the period of residence which can be taken into account when they apply for totalizing the residence periods fulfilled in the territory of the EEA.

If they are not able to prove a 12 months-long period of permanent residence in the territory of the EEA or they do not want to have a permanent residence in Hungary, they have two possibilities. Either they are not joining the public health insurance scheme and they pay full price for all health care service they will be seeking while living in Hungary, or they subscribe an agreement with the competent county governmental office. In the latter case the legislation determines the terms of the agreement, according to which the payable flat-rate contribution is of HUF 74.500,- per month.

If they enter into agreement with the public health insurance, they will be entitled to immediately necessary health care (urgencies) during 24 months from the first day of the month following the conclusion of the agreement. However, they may pay 24 months of contributions immediately following the conclusion of the agreement (as if they would have accomplished the 24 months "waiting period") and acquire right to the full range of health care services available in the framework of the health insurance.

Should they decide for an agreement under the mentioned terms set by legislation, we recommend them to contact the competent government office. In order to arrange their application for an insurance card, they have to contact the government office, anyway.

Contact details of competent government offices they can find on the following home page: Nemzeti Egészségbiztosítási Alapkezelő - Kormányhivatalok, Ügyfélszolgálatok

National Institute for Health Insurance Fund Management
Dept. for International and EU Affairs
[email protected]
Tel.: +36-1-350-1618
www.neak.gov.hu
Old Feb 2nd 2019, 1:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

In my case OEP contacted the British (DWP / HMRC) direct & obtained the necessary.
Old Feb 2nd 2019, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Expatrick
In my case OEP contacted the British (DWP / HMRC) direct & obtained the necessary.
Which is how it should be. Which makes it even more frustrating that others are sent on a wild goose chase.

Which OEP office did you use?
Old Feb 2nd 2019, 1:35 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by rickster000
Which is how it should be. Which makes it even more frustrating that others are sent on a wild goose chase.

Which OEP office did you use?
This one in Pest, not far from Árpád Híd.

Knowledge of Hungarian is useful!

Old Feb 2nd 2019, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Expatrick
This one in Pest, not far from Árpád Híd.

Knowledge of Hungarian is useful!
Same office where both my daughter and I had E104 problems.

A funny thing about the language. The English speakers in that office stuck to their guns about the E104. The problem was only resolved when I tried again some weeks later and was served by a non-English speaker who asked no questions, asked me for no info, and just sorted it all for me with no more than a "sign here" and "thank you".

A lot of luck involved !
Old Feb 3rd 2019, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

Thank you .. good to know where to go when the time comes
Old Feb 3rd 2019, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for this response.. in my pile of printed off and will need soon.

I will contact UK regard pensions we are 2 years short on our NI contributions so will need to get those up to date in any case and don't want any reason for the 104 not to be completed
Old Feb 8th 2019, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

I have had an update to my correspondence with the British Embassy about the E104 issue. (Of course Brexit may well see a change to these procedures but if the Brexit transition period goes ahead then this problem will continue for another 18 months at least.) Anyway, hopefully the info may be of some use to someone. The British FCO/Embassy said:

"The Embassy has been in contact with NEAK about the E104 application issue. In NEAK’s response to our inquiry they say that it has been a long procedure between the two countries to come up with a customer friendly application procedure; however, HMRC was not a partner in the negotiations with Hungary, thus the UK still requires the Foreign Authority to send health insurance-related inquiries and requests directly to HMRC.

Please note that E104 and S041 refer to the same form, including the same data; only the name differs. To start the procedure in Hungary, attached I send you the application form I found online (unfortunately it is only available in Hungarian) that should be filled out. Please bring it along when visiting your local NEAK office, and also bring along your British passport, Hungarian registration and address cards. The Hungarian Authority will send the request to the UK system (SED 040 request)."

I have attached the E104 Form mentioned above.
I have also attached the TAJ Card Application Form which is not mentioned above but which is necessary.

Just to confirm, the documents a UK citizen should take in to get Hungarian State Health Insurance (TAJ) Card/Number.
1) Passport
2) Hungarian Registration doc
3) Hungarian Address Card
4) Completed TAJ Card Application Form (only available in Hungarian)
5) Completed E104 Form (seemingly only available in Hungarian) - Not always requested, but will save a lot of hassle and time if one is requested and you have it.
Attached Files
File Type: doc
E 104 k�relem (1).doc (96.5 KB, 136 views)
File Type: pdf
taj_kartya.pdf (64.2 KB, 42 views)
Old Mar 13th 2019, 5:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Form S1
For those to whom it my concern I have just seen this on the GOV.UK web site regarding getting the S1 form

S1 form – healthcare paid for by the UK

You may be entitled to state healthcare paid for by the UK if you live in Hungary and get an exportable UK pension, contribution-based Employment Support Allowance or another exportable benefit. You will need an S1 form. You can apply for one by calling +44 (0)191 218 1999.When you get your form, register it at your local social security office before you register with your GP and get a medical card. end quote

the full article is here
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-i...ate#healthcare
Old Mar 13th 2019, 5:22 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Peter. Much appreciated
Old Jan 23rd 2020, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
Form S1
For those to whom it my concern I have just seen this on the GOV.UK web site regarding getting the S1 form

S1 form – healthcare paid for by the UK

You may be entitled to state healthcare paid for by the UK if you live in Hungary and get an exportable UK pension, contribution-based Employment Support Allowance or another exportable benefit. You will need an S1 form. You can apply for one by calling +44 (0)191 218 1999.When you get your form, register it at your local social security office before you register with your GP and get a medical card. end quote

the full article is here
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-i...ate#healthcare
Can you please expand on what is an exportable UK pension?
Old Jan 23rd 2020, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenTiger
Can you please expand on what is an exportable UK pension?
An exportable UK pension is one that continues to be paid if you move abroad. The UK state OAP is exportable as are some other benefits either long term or for a short term / limited period
See here
https://contactcentreservices.nhsbsa...rtable-benefit
Old Jan 23rd 2020, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
An exportable UK pension is one that continues to be paid if you move abroad. The UK state OAP is exportable as are some other benefits either long term or for a short term / limited period
See here
https://contactcentreservices.nhsbsa...rtable-benefit
Thanks. So this means my NHS pension is not exportable buy hey both my wife and myself receive DLA or PIP so atleast that's something. Could use this to pay our health care costs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.