Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Have you got any tips for newbies?

Have you got any tips for newbies?

Old Jun 22nd 2017, 9:57 am
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have you got any tips for newbies?

Sorry Cathyg but I am going to side with the don't bring any furniture brigade.
Firstly it makes moving so much easier without it.
Secondly I bought all mine here including a fully fitted kitchen which I ordered in the local furniture shop, it was a 3 week wait because all the units came from Germany, and the quality is top notch.

Another tip for the older readers here who may be considering this a retirement venue, Get a good hobby! And choose one that doesn't require the constant sourcing of supplies (e.g. Modelling). Hungarian shops don't actually like to stock very much, and although they might advertise it invariably you will have to wait while they order one in.

And, since no one has answered Szegeds question, Yes you are responsible for the area outside of your property. be it grass or pavement it is supposed to be maintained (including snow clearance)
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 10:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I like the tip about not expecting Hungary to be like "Back Home"
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 11:00 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
I like the tip about not expecting Hungary to be like "Back Home"
Agreed - it's a lot better!
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

Szeged is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the clarification, Duztee. I thought that might still be the case (my HU GF did mention something about it, but I forgot what the story was). Also, I was not sure if it is a nationwide law/regulation or just a county law. I know it was true for Foráskút and Sándorfalva in Csongrad county.

I do not really follow village life (regulations) unless I visit friends in the countryside. Szeged city has private properties with front pavement, etc of course but as I live in a local apartment area.....
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 12:26 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Szeged
Thanks for the clarification, Duztee. I thought that might still be the case (my HU GF did mention something about it, but I forgot what the story was). Also, I was not sure if it is a nationwide law/regulation or just a county law. I know it was true for Foráskút and Sándorfalva in Csongrad county.

I do not really follow village life (regulations) unless I visit friends in the countryside. Szeged city has private properties with front pavement, etc of course but as I live in a local apartment area.....
Same rules re maintenance apply in Budapest.
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by duztee
....... And, since no one has answered Szegeds question, Yes you are responsible for the area outside of your property. be it grass or pavement it is supposed to be maintained (including snow clearance)
Certainly in the village where I live, the outside of my property the pavement, grass verge, rainwater culvert are all cleared on a regular basis by the workers employed by the mayor's office. Similarly in winter they clear the snow from the paths including the path that leads from your front gate up to your woodshed. This is often done several times a day if necessary.

As far as I can see this practice is standard in the smaller villages, but not in the larger ones that I have to pass through on my way to the city, where you regularly see people cutting the grass verges outside their houses.
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

Consider yourself very lucky Sachina!!
I am responsible for the care and maintenance of 'my' paths (plural, the one disadvantage of a corner house).
As I have mentioned before, my neighbour is out from the first snowflake till the last trying to sweep them up before they even land. Which makes my system of let it all land and then get it in one go look positively unenthusiastic, (which I am).
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 1:37 pm
Account Closed

I am responsible for the care and maintenance of 'my' paths (plural, the one disadvantage of a corner house).
As I have mentioned before, my neighbour is out from the first snowflake till the last trying to sweep them up before they even land. Which makes my system of let it all land and then get it in one go look positively unenthusiastic, (which I am).
Our neighbour goes out to clear snow at 6 in the morning!
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Szeged
Szeged city has private properties with front pavement, etc of course but as I live in a local apartment area.....
Apartment blocks here generally have one of the tenants nominated to deal with outside cleaning, putting out the bins etc.
The other tenants each paying a small fee to said volunteer.
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 1:39 pm
Account Closed

& while I remember, we are now responsible for the gas mains from the road to the house.
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

This could be because they hire the unemployed, as part of their payment scheme (i.e. job seekers allowance equivalent); like a "low paid" community service to top up the unemployed peoples allowance (unemployed/welfare benefits). Either way, you are lucky to have such a service.
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 1:41 pm
Account Closed

Apartment blocks here generally have one of the tenants nominated to deal with outside cleaning, putting out the bins etc.
The other tenants each paying a small fee to said volunteer.
So that's where I am going wrong - I should charge my fellow owners!
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

In my apartment block and surrounding blocks we are lucky in that, although we pay a maintenance fee for the cleaning of common areas (i.e. stairwells), rubbish services, heating the hallway and stairwell, we do get really good value for these paid services. Grass is cut, car park is well maintained, dustbin areas are kept clean as well as emptied/cleared, trees and branches are cut/trimmed, etc.
Old Jun 28th 2017, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, my place has a very wide frontage so I have quite a long stretch of pavement to clear. Also, the grass verges (if you can still call them that) are much deeper than normal, so the grass that I have to cut which is not mine is about a 3 hour job each time. This includes time taken picking up fallen branches from the elderly walnut trees and stones that get onto the grass from the edge of the road.
Old Jun 28th 2017, 10:06 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by fidobsa
Yes, my place has a very wide frontage so I have quite a long stretch of pavement to clear. Also, the grass verges (if you can still call them that) are much deeper than normal, so the grass that I have to cut which is not mine is about a 3 hour job each time. This includes time taken picking up fallen branches from the elderly walnut trees and stones that get onto the grass from the edge of the road.
Something to do on those lazy, balmy Sunday afternoons!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.