Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Have we found a house yet?

Have we found a house yet?

Old Mar 20th 2021, 4:11 am
  #1  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,782
FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Have we found a house yet?

The latest is possibly. Currently thinking about putting in an offer. It does need new windows, etc but as its less than our top budget it's doable. Nearly everything is on one floor, kitchen is the size we'd like, only two bedrooms with one of them being massive with room for a two or three sofa and full length wardrobe, and still room to swing a cat! Outside - south facing garden. There is an attic which could be converted to an additional room but stairs are steep so think we might just use it for storage as we did with our house in the UK. Might need to add some insulation to the roof.
FenTiger is offline  
Old Mar 20th 2021, 4:34 am
  #2  
Banned
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Hawley
Posts: 958
Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have we found a house yet?

Sounds good Nick, I hope it goes well if it ticks all the boxes and is well situated for your needs and possible future growth.
Jack_Russells4ever is offline  
Old Mar 20th 2021, 6:58 pm
  #3  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,782
FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have we found a house yet?

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever
Sounds good Nick, I hope it goes well if it ticks all the boxes and is well situated for your needs and possible future growth.
It ticks alot of boxes although I'd have liked an extra 20 sq.m. and slightly bigger bathroom but atleast the kitchen is a reasonable size for us. In our search there's always been something which held us back, I.e. the kitchen which compared to UK houses is quite small. Location wise very good.
The exterior does need a fresh coat of paint.
One thing I've taken on board from this forum is to ensure the house doesn't stand out too much so we can blend in with the neighbourhood.
Sometime today I'm going to have to make a decision! Wife likes it!
FenTiger is offline  
Old Mar 20th 2021, 9:18 pm
  #4  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,100
Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have we found a house yet?

Originally Posted by FenTiger
It ticks alot of boxes although I'd have liked an extra 20 sq.m.
Sometime today I'm going to have to make a decision! Wife likes it!
If the wife likes it then that must tick about half of the boxes !!
You can usually add some sq.m with careful thought
The one thing you can't change is the location.
If you make an offer you can always increase it if it is refused, what you can't do is reduce an offer once made (unless you have a survey that shows big unforeseen problems)
Peter_in_Hungary is offline  
Old Mar 20th 2021, 9:35 pm
  #5  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,782
FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have we found a house yet?

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
If the wife likes it then that must tick about half of the boxes !!
You can usually add some sq.m with careful thought
The one thing you can't change is the location.
If you make an offer you can always increase it if it is refused, what you can't do is reduce an offer once made (unless you have a survey that shows big unforeseen problems)
Definitely will add a covered terrace. I think the indoor space is enough for us.
FenTiger is offline  
Old Mar 21st 2021, 6:48 pm
  #6  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,782
FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have we found a house yet?

We have put in an offer and there is another interested party so we are hoping we don't get dragged into a bidding war. We have one advantage in that we don't need a loan whilst the other interested party does.
If the sale value goes up and up and up, we will have to decide if it is worth continuing or pull out. We think it will be a mistake to pull out because property and plot values around here are increasing all the time. The previous property and the one before both went to the highest offer between two parties so not much choice if we wish to stay in the village.
FenTiger is offline  
Old Mar 30th 2021, 7:49 pm
  #7  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,782
FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have we found a house yet?

Oops - thought I had posted our offer was accepted. Owner didn't want the hassle of waiting for prospective buyers to get a bank loan approved.
We hope to move in on two months time. It does need some work done but that is not a problem.
It's only got two bedrooms which we realised is all we need. Plot is smaller and more manageable. Gives us more time to do other things.
FenTiger is offline  
Old Mar 30th 2021, 8:00 pm
  #8  
Banned
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Hawley
Posts: 958
Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have we found a house yet?

Congratulations Nick, Glad you have finally realised your dream of property ownership here in Hungary. Soon you will be busy with a likely endless stream of projects and Honey Doo's for your other half.
Jack_Russells4ever is offline  
Old Mar 30th 2021, 8:27 pm
  #9  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,100
Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have we found a house yet?

Originally Posted by FenTiger
Oops - thought I had posted our offer was accepted. Owner didn't want the hassle of waiting for prospective buyers to get a bank loan approved.
We hope to move in on two months time. It does need some work done but that is not a problem.
It's only got two bedrooms which we realised is all we need. Plot is smaller and more manageable. Gives us more time to do other things.
Congratulations.
Now you need to get a solicitor to draw up a contract and you should put down a deposit, defined in the contract, it doesn't need to be much but it secures the agreement to buy/sell. Also get in the contract what will be left in the house, particularly in the kitchen and bathroom and any other fixtures and fittings. Things like kitchen sinks are not necessarily included. Also be prepared to find that on moving in the sellers unwanted furniture and shed full of 'might be useful someday stuff' will be left for your benefit - but not much you can do about that.
Peter_in_Hungary is offline  
Old Mar 30th 2021, 11:03 pm
  #10  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,782
FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have we found a house yet?

Seeing a solicitor on Tuesday 6th. The owner has mentioned we can pop round to see what extras we'll need to get before we move in. Might order some white goods to be delivered where we are and then take them to the new address once we move in. Later on new sofa, armchairs, etc. once we settle in and find something we both like. Then rugs.
First big job will be replace the double glazed windows with triple glazed, then add a covered terrace only or conservatory & covered terrace at the back. The house ground floor is about 1metre from the ground so the terrace/conservatory will have to be built on a raised platform. From the back knock through the wall so we have access to the terrace/conservatory. Then update the bathroom and kitchen. Last job will be a fresh coat of paint on the exterior walls.
Half the house is on one level and the other two steps up. More or less all on one floor. There's an attic but am unsure whether to extend up there as steps are steep. Probably use mostly for storage.
Must not forget to get some wood for the TJK wood burner!
Might have to modify the garage door frame and extend it outwards so I can fit my car in there but I'm not too bothered if there's nothing we can do about that.
House is in a nice road and unlike here there's two off road parking spaces. It's on the flat side of the village too, nearer to Coop and Malyi-To.
FenTiger is offline  
Old Mar 31st 2021, 3:40 am
  #11  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,782
FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have we found a house yet?

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
Congratulations.
Now you need to get a solicitor to draw up a contract and you should put down a deposit, defined in the contract, it doesn't need to be much but it secures the agreement to buy/sell. Also get in the contract what will be left in the house, particularly in the kitchen and bathroom and any other fixtures and fittings. Things like kitchen sinks are not necessarily included. Also be prepared to find that on moving in the sellers unwanted furniture and shed full of 'might be useful someday stuff' will be left for your benefit - but not much you can do about that.
It would be nice if the owner left some things for our benefit because before we moved here we gave away alot of stuff thinking we wouldn't get it all in the two removal trucks we were hiring. The second truck was supposed to be smaller but it was as big as the first one! Arrgghhh ... We gave away a 2 metre high fridge/freezer, slim dishwasher, washing machine, various other stuff, including a wheelbarrow. We left behind two wheelie bins we paid for and could have brought over! Doh! Atleast we didn't have to leave any stuff behind!
I'd rather not them leave too much stuff except the cooker. I don't want to end up buying new then getting rid in a year's time but my good heart might say, never mind, give it to someone who really needs it.
The white goods I mentioned above went to a much older lady who was going through a divorce and was desperate for some white goods before she moved out of the matrimonial home. The tall fridge/freezer was a pain to get out of the kitchen because of limited space and we had to remove the door. When that was first delivered the guys from John Lewis damaged my new lino flooring which had been put down only a week earlier! Anyway, I just realised there's not going to be any problems getting our white goods or furniture into the new house because it's laid out better.
FenTiger is offline  
Old Mar 31st 2021, 7:30 am
  #12  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jul 2020
Location: Preston
Posts: 26
Joetography is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Have we found a house yet?

Great news.
Joetography is offline  
Old Mar 31st 2021, 9:54 pm
  #13  
BE Enthusiast
 
Sachina's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Location: Borsod-Abauj-Zemplen Hungary
Posts: 752
Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have we found a house yet?

Originally Posted by FenTiger
It would be nice if the owner left some things for our benefit because before we moved here we gave away alot of stuff thinking we wouldn't get it all in the two removal trucks we were hiring. The second truck was supposed to be smaller but it was as big as the first one! Arrgghhh ... We gave away a 2 metre high fridge/freezer, slim dishwasher, washing machine, various other stuff, including a wheelbarrow. We left behind two wheelie bins we paid for and could have brought over! Doh! Atleast we didn't have to leave any stuff behind!
I'd rather not them leave too much stuff except the cooker. I don't want to end up buying new then getting rid in a year's time but my good heart might say, never mind, give it to someone who really needs it.
The white goods I mentioned above went to a much older lady who was going through a divorce and was desperate for some white goods before she moved out of the matrimonial home. The tall fridge/freezer was a pain to get out of the kitchen because of limited space and we had to remove the door. When that was first delivered the guys from John Lewis damaged my new lino flooring which had been put down only a week earlier! Anyway, I just realised there's not going to be any problems getting our white goods or furniture into the new house because it's laid out better.
I don't know whether it's the same on your side of town but we can only use the wheelie bins that have been supplied by the company that empties our dustbins. I've got two perfectly good ones that I can't use!
Sachina is offline  
Old Jun 29th 2021, 12:18 am
  #14  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,782
FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have we found a house yet?

Pick up the keys tomorrow but it won't be until Friday anyone will sleep there as our furniture won't be there until Friday. Adding to things my wife probably will only spend the occasional night at the new house because her mother needs 24 hour supervision. Keeps getting dizzy when standing up or attempting to hobble to the toilet.
FenTiger is offline  
Old Jun 29th 2021, 6:01 am
  #15  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jul 2020
Location: Preston
Posts: 26
Joetography is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Have we found a house yet?

NIce. You can finally get settled in Hungary.
Joetography is offline  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.