Grass verge

Old Nov 12th 2022, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Grass verge

Does anyone know whether there's any rules about putting large rocks on the grass verge near the road?
Our neighbour on one side often drives along the grass verge in front of our property then reverses it to park slightly ahead of the garage access gates. Currently we have no drive over for those gates. The patch he drives on is grassless because of what he does. To be honest I'm not bothered where he parks but he's damaging the grass! He does have space to park elsewhere in front of his own property but he rarely parks there. I do sometimes think is he winding us up or trying to get a reaction from us. My wife is as annoyed as I am. When they have visitors they always park on the grass verge on our side even when there's plenty of space in front of neighbours property.
(A bit of history. When we bought our house the previous owner told us the two trees on the grass verge in front of our property belonged to the same neighbours mentioned above. I thought this is absurd! Local Kormanyablak confirmed they do not belong to neighbours. Also we noted junk propped along the wall of our propertyon their side. They must have been there for years and previous owner never complained. We asked them to move it so we could add cladding. Problem solved!!!.).
Old Nov 12th 2022, 4:14 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Grass verge

Where does your property end?

In the UK the grass verge and pavement is part of the public right of way, the road. In the US it is common in suburban and areas out side of towns & cities for the owned property to extend to the edge of the road, and if there is a pavement then it is a "easement" (right of access) accross the property that extends to the edge of the paved road. If Hungary is like the UK then your options are likely more limited. ..... I also wonder if there are any ordinances (local laws of the town where you live) about driving/ parking on the grass verge?
Old Nov 12th 2022, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Where does your property end?

In the UK the grass verge and pavement is part of the public right of way, the road. In the US it is common in suburban and areas out side of towns & cities for the owned property to extend to the edge of the road, and if there is a pavement then it is a "easement" (right of access) accross the property that extends to the edge of the paved road. If Hungary is like the UK then your options are likely more limited. ..... I also wonder if there are any ordinances (local laws of the town where you live) about driving/ parking on the grass verge?
Parking on the grass verge is allowed here. The grass verge is our responsibility to maintain but we do not own it.
My main issue as per my post is the neighbour is damaging the grass verge which we are responsible for. I note the neighbour next to the neighbours I'm referring to their grass verge is immaculate and undamaged!
The key issue is why does our neighbour need to drive halfway along the verge on our side before reversing to park his 9 seater minibus! Plus why do their visitors always park on the grass verge in front of our property. Just what is wrong with parking on the grass verge on their side?
Old Nov 12th 2022, 6:12 pm
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

I have a couple neighbours that also drive on the grass on my side of the road before reversing into their drive. It is very common in Hungary. I no longer worry about it. I have accepted it that they don't care.
Old Nov 12th 2022, 6:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever
I have a couple neighbours that also drive on the grass on my side of the road before reversing into their drive. It is very common in Hungary. I no longer worry about it. I have accepted it that they don't care.
I'd have accepted it if the grass verge two doors away was also damaged but it isn't. It's only ours. My wife is Hungarian so I don't feel like I'm complaining over a little thing!
At the end of the day ..... I just laugh about it .... but I'd prefer the grass verge to be pristine!
I learnt alot about neighbours when living in UK. First day in our new house neighbours were playing excessively loud music from 7pm. We could feel the thump thump thump of the music on the walls it was unbelievable. When sister-in-law stayed neighbours had been decorating. At 10pm they were sweeping up banging the broom against the skirting board! I got my revenge by putting my HiFi speakers right against the wall between us and put volume on full blast. You probably think I'd gone too far but the loudness of the music was way in excess of what you'd say is normal. Considering I'm profoundly deaf and a hearing aid user and could hear it through the walls shows how bad it was!
Old Nov 12th 2022, 9:47 pm
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenTiger
I'd have accepted it if the grass verge two doors away was also damaged but it isn't. It's only ours. My wife is Hungarian so I don't feel like I'm complaining over a little thing!
At the end of the day ..... I just laugh about it .... but I'd prefer the grass verge to be pristine!
I learnt alot about neighbours when living in UK. First day in our new house neighbours were playing excessively loud music from 7pm. We could feel the thump thump thump of the music on the walls it was unbelievable. When sister-in-law stayed neighbours had been decorating. At 10pm they were sweeping up banging the broom against the skirting board! I got my revenge by putting my HiFi speakers right against the wall between us and put volume on full blast. You probably think I'd gone too far but the loudness of the music was way in excess of what you'd say is normal. Considering I'm profoundly deaf and a hearing aid user and could hear it through the walls shows how bad it was!

I know all about bad neighbours. I have dealt with loud neighbours before. I had a young kid who thought that everyone should enjoy his loud music. If he cranked up when I was home I would crank up my system and convince him that he only thought he had a system if he played his above what most people would consider as too loud. He got the message..
Old Nov 12th 2022, 10:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever
I know all about bad neighbours. I have dealt with loud neighbours before. I had a young kid who thought that everyone should enjoy his loud music. If he cranked up when I was home I would crank up my system and convince him that he only thought he had a system if he played his above what most people would consider as too loud. He got the message..
Bingo .... it's a win win for us!
Old Nov 13th 2022, 7:41 am
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

If you're thinking of revenge ...
Why don't you put your car or even better if you got a trailer on your neighbour's verge?
And you might tell all your visitors to park there.
But of course I don't know about the general relationship with your neighbours.
We had one "szár szomszét" years ago which in the end we just ignored. So whenever he came over for some help or wanted some tools I'd say sorry, got no time today, the tool isn't working ...
With the other neighbours we had no problems - when I needed some tool sharpened he said bring it over, when he was sick in hospital I took his wife there and so on.
I'm so happy that at our new address all the neighbours are really friendly - the wives show off their cooking, of course always oda-vissza.
Old Nov 13th 2022, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

The Hungarian way would be to put the stones on the grass verge, paint them white and wait for reaction. If the council say anything explain why you did it.
Old Nov 13th 2022, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by wolfi
If you're thinking of revenge ...
Why don't you put your car or even better if you got a trailer on your neighbour's verge?
And you might tell all your visitors to park there.
But of course I don't know about the general relationship with your neighbours.
We had one "szár szomszét" years ago which in the end we just ignored. So whenever he came over for some help or wanted some tools I'd say sorry, got no time today, the tool isn't working ...
With the other neighbours we had no problems - when I needed some tool sharpened he said bring it over, when he was sick in hospital I took his wife there and so on.
I'm so happy that at our new address all the neighbours are really friendly - the wives show off their cooking, of course always oda-vissza.
We find all the neighbours very friendly but the ones damaging the grass seem quite cool with us. Been like that from Day 1.
My new parking space when we have builders here will be on their grass verge!
Luckily no neighbours ask to borrow any of our tools.
Old Nov 13th 2022, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
The Hungarian way would be to put the stones on the grass verge, paint them white and wait for reaction. If the council say anything explain why you did it.
I meant to ask a friend for advice about this today but forgot.
I agree I should just put the large stones there and paint them white.