Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Gardening In Hungary

Gardening In Hungary

Old Apr 19th 2010, 11:10 am
Veszprém Megye

John Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute
Default Gardening In Hungary

Anyone know of a good Gardening book that works with the Hungarian seasons & temperatures - translated into English?

We have a small garden in the village & I would like to know which plants work by the Balaton? For instance does Clematis survive the winter? Any thoughts please?
Old Apr 19th 2010, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

hotpot will become famous soon enoughhotpot will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Gardening In Hungary

hi we are just south of keszthely with very big garden.
have not found a gardening book yet but i can tell you clematis plants do well.
we have 4 in our garden and as long as you cut them back to ground level at the end of the year before any frost they will still come up next year. most shrubs do well but must be cut back as you would normally do in the uk as like this time of year they go mad. if you need any advice on veg let me know as we grow almost all our own and either freeze it or bottle it.
you are like us you have good volcanic soil which is great.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 2:52 pm
Veszprém Megye

John Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hotpot
hi we are just south of keszthely with very big garden.
have not found a gardening book yet but i can tell you clematis plants do well.
we have 4 in our garden and as long as you cut them back to ground level at the end of the year before any frost they will still come up next year. most shrubs do well but must be cut back as you would normally do in the uk as like this time of year they go mad. if you need any advice on veg let me know as we grow almost all our own and either freeze it or bottle it.
you are like us you have good volcanic soil which is great.
Thanks Hotspot - will try a clematis of the type that gets prunned back each autumn - sounds like you get a good veg crop - we are still back & forward to UK so haven't got to that stage yet though hope to later on.
Old May 13th 2010, 2:23 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hotpot
if you need any advice on veg let me know

Hi Hotpot, have you discovered how to permanently get rid of bindweed? Or were you lucky enough not to have any? We have had liner over sections for the past 12 months, pulled it up by the roots (as deep as we could manage) and yet, this year again, it is back in abundance
Old May 15th 2010, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

hotpot will become famous soon enoughhotpot will become famous soon enough

hi rural

to get rid of bindweed is i think the hardest job going in the garden.

if it is in part of the garden that you can rotavate go as deep as you can and pick it out by hand. the next bit is hard to explain but here we go.
around the area you want to clear did a ditch, if you have any old bricks then build a wall all he way round the edge, or you can buy rolls of aluminium about 10 inches deep.once you have that in your ditch fill it all in so you can't see it, only you know it is there. if you have got all your bindweed out the barrier should keep it out. this is not 100% but it should stop more comming in.
weed killer is no good as bindweed will just grow again. its hard work but worth it.
Old May 16th 2010, 11:40 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Hotpot, that makes complete sense and I will give it a try. I built several raised beds last year, pulled it all out by hand and the areas in between we lined with liner and woodbark. The latter remain clear but its coming up, in abundance, again in the raised beds. I never thought about it creeping in, underground, from the surrounding area so I will give what you suggest a try and let you know if it works. Won't be any time this week though thanks to the weather! I remember it being like this last year but it was a couple of weeks earlier, after that it was glorious so here's hoping. Thanks again