Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Garden Party, help,tips,info.

Garden Party, help,tips,info.

Old May 28th 2013, 6:46 am
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Garden Party, help,tips,info.

I have been talked into having my first Garden Party, just for family....well and a few friends.....and a few footy mates......and etc!

Now the englishman in me says get plenty of beer and light the barbie, wait until everyone is drunk then cremate something quick before it rains.

This is apparently NOT acceptable in Hungary!

Here we just must have a huge cauldron bubbling for hours over a wood fire, while everyone gets drunk on Palinka ( well that part is similar then)
Thankfully I am excused the cooking since I haven't a clue what I am doing being english, But of course I do have to do the shopping, (lord know where I can get eye of newt and larks tongue at this time of year.)

I am advised not to buy much alcohol as everyone will bring plenty, so....
what I need is tips for snacks, cakes beverages that Hungarians like while sitting around filling their lungs with choking smoke and chanting things like 'Hubble, Bubble toil and trouble' for the hours and hours it will take to cook.

Bearing in mind that some of the guest are the same ones I forced to eat a full roast Christmas dinner with Gravy!!! so I thought I better stay traditional this time.

Despite all the wood smoke which is going to be swirling around the garden, trapped by all the neighbouring buildings I am told it is not permitted to smoke in the vicinity of the party and I therefore need to make a separate space available??

Suddenly my problems with a sex starved Woodpecker have paled into insignificance compared to this looming disaster.

So any tips are most welcome.........(leave the country unfortunately is not an option)
Old May 28th 2013, 8:06 am
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Garden Party, help,tips,info.

make sure you have some pork, tomatoes, onions, garlic, various spices, gulyas krem, salt and pepper to hand, pour yourself a palinka before the 1st guests arrive, sit back and let the locals do the rest

Even if you were a Michelin chef you wouldn't cut it with the local goulas mesters
Old May 28th 2013, 12:16 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulinEger

Even if you were a Michelin chef you wouldn't cut it with the local goulas mesters
Tell me about it! I'm thinking of taking part in the cooking comp at the village fair this year but it's quite intimidating

As for nibbles Duztee, fried chicken strips with a selection of dips (easy to make), bread with pork fat or butter and raw sliced onions is a must and pastries of all sorts - if you can knock up a curry of sorts, make pastries with it and they will be more than impressed.
Old Jun 9th 2013, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

As instructed by Paul, I left the local experts to argue over the cooking.

Found the secret to a successful party........ lock the kids in the kennel!
Attached Thumbnails Garden Party, help,tips,info.-fgy_10098.jpg   Garden Party, help,tips,info.-fgy_1001045.jpg  
Old Jun 9th 2013, 8:28 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by duztee
As instructed by Paul, I left the local experts to argue over the cooking.

Found the secret to a successful party........ lock the kids in the kennel!
Glad it went well and by the looks of it, the sun shone for you
Old Jun 9th 2013, 10:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Rural.
Yes it was a good day all round, hope this sun is going to stay now,
BBQ this week end so I am on more familiar, and hopefully safer ground.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 6:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Glad it went well. You will be a pro now I have to do something similar soon but I have a Hungarian friend to come round and help me cook as I know I will get totally flustered
Old Jun 10th 2013, 6:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

Glad ai went well and good luck with the next one
Old Jun 11th 2013, 3:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Pol and Paul.
This is why I retired to Hungary, it was such a lovely day today (monday) I lit the BBQ did a one man dinner and ate it outside with a lovely fresh salad and bottle of cider.
Why? Just because I had the time and weather, and no reason not to do it.
Old Jun 11th 2013, 4:22 am
BE Enthusiast

^^ "like"