Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Garden Boundaries - Part 2

Garden Boundaries - Part 2

Old Jul 3rd 2023, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Garden Boundaries - Part 2

Arrggghhh ..... just noticed neighbour has put a bit of junk on the narrow strip at the side of our house facing their property. As mentioned previously neighbour had previously propped junk and bits and pieces against our wall. That was all removed when we had cladding added. There is still junk in between our fence and their hedge. Nothing we can do about that.
Either we monitor the bit of junk on our narrow strip or nip it in the bud. Maybe see how long it stays there and if they add more stuff.
Old Jul 3rd 2023, 11:28 am
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Garden Boundaries - Part 2

Originally Posted by FenTiger
Arrggghhh ..... just noticed neighbour has put a bit of junk on the narrow strip at the side of our house facing their property. As mentioned previously neighbour had previously propped junk and bits and pieces against our wall. That was all removed when we had cladding added. There is still junk in between our fence and their hedge. Nothing we can do about that.
Either we monitor the bit of junk on our narrow strip or nip it in the bud. Maybe see how long it stays there and if they add more stuff.
If you do not say something they will assume it is okay to place their junk on your property and will continue to do so.
Old Jul 3rd 2023, 5:21 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever
If you do not say something they will assume it is okay to place their junk on your property and will continue to do so.

I would assume that ignoring it will likely be seen as acceptance, and that more junk will follow.

The only additional question I would ask is: "is you removing it and disposing of it an option?" given that it was abandoned on your property. I would guess there is a risk that the neighbour would see that as an easy way of getting rid of their junk if you just remove it and dispose of it.

BTW what is the "junk"?
Old Jul 4th 2023, 6:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

Why worry yourself over it? Simply ask him to move it!

When I first moved into my house an old aunty who lived down the road phoned her niece in Miskolc to say I was building on her land which is an empty plot next to mine. The next thing I know is a delegation of owner, her sister, son, and son's girl friend knocking at my front door. Quite obvious when they looked that there was no work going on anywhere near her land. I did mention that their fencing needed replacing as I was about to buy two dogs and expected at least a substantial contribution from them towards it. I think it was a good two years before I saw them again.

Similarly when they were building on the plot the other side of me, the workmen would park their trucks opposite my gate making it almost impossible to get my car out onto the lane. They'd throw their rubbish on my metre of land and and leave empty plastic bottles on my bathroom and toilet window ledges. As my back wall.provided the only shade they'd sit there whilst they had their lunch breaks. Their chatter sounded as they were inmy living room.

I got so fed up with all the mess and inconvenience it caused me one day I went out, called the boss man, and in my best, most polite English asked him if he would clear up the the rubbish, park their truck elswhere and not lean on my back wall, They did and I didn't have a problem after that.
Old Jul 4th 2023, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski

I would assume that ignoring it will likely be seen as acceptance, and that more junk will follow.

The only additional question I would ask is: "is you removing it and disposing of it an option?" given that it was abandoned on your property. I would guess there is a risk that the neighbour would see that as an easy way of getting rid of their junk if you just remove it and dispose of it.

BTW what is the "junk"?
We can only access their garden via climbing over the fence or through their gate. Like many properties in Hungary houses are built right up to the boundary less 0.5 to 1 metre and there are no fences along the exterior wall.

Junk is metal, bits of wood, anything large you cannot recycle in the recycling bin.
Old Jul 4th 2023, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

I have decided to approach this tactically by lying through my teeth we need to check the cladding on our house facing their house. If their junk is still on our strip of land I'll pick it up and move it elsewhere! Plus in my pocket I'll have a photo of their junk artwork propped against our wall a year ago. If they protest me moving their junk I'll just whip out the photo and ask them if they remember this? And point out what they had been doing isn't allowed as it's our property. It's not polite either!
Old Jul 4th 2023, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

What I find quite funny is a year ago when we had the builders here the neighbours used their outdoor kitchen quite often. This year ... May .... not used .... June ... not used ..... so far this month.... not used!
Old Jul 5th 2023, 1:46 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I have decided to approach this tactically by lying through my teeth we need to check the cladding on our house facing their house. If their junk is still on our strip of land I'll pick it up and move it elsewhere! Plus in my pocket I'll have a photo of their junk artwork propped against our wall a year ago. If they protest me moving their junk I'll just whip out the photo and ask them if they remember this? And point out what they had been doing isn't allowed as it's our property. It's not polite either!
As it's your strip of land, maybe you could leave something on it.
Spoiler:

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 5th 2023 at 2:03 am.
Old Jul 5th 2023, 3:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Spoiler:

it's only about 0.5 metres wide but probably 15 metres long where there's no fence.
I might just pile up some junk on our side of the fence so they can see it from their outdoor kitchen. It should start a discussion with themselves and their visitors.

I'm sure I mentioned here on another post before we moved here the previous owner said the cherry trees on the grass verge in front of our property belonged to the same neighbours. We checked with the Mayor who replied they were probably planted with free seeds issued by the Mayor! And they were ours! The previous owner didn't seem to be into gardening so the neighbours must have thought they could plant two cherry trees on the grass verge next door with previous owners permission. I have a feeling the previous owner did not know about the junk previous propped against the exterior house wall on their strip of unfenced boundary. That's a question we will put to the neighbours.
Old Jul 5th 2023, 3:39 am
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

Spoiler:

Old Jul 5th 2023, 4:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever
One problem I cannot access it unless I climb over the fence or via the gate.
Old Jul 5th 2023, 5:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

Why is it that men like to make a mountain out of a molehill?

It's your strip of land and your house. You have every right to ask them to move the junk. No need to be unpleasant about it. Just do it calmly like any other reasonably human being would do.

Last edited by Sachina; Jul 5th 2023 at 5:58 am.
Old Jul 5th 2023, 6:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sachina
Why is it that men like to make a mountain out of a molehill?

It's your strip of land and your house. You have every right to ask them to move the junk. No need to be unpleasant about it. Just do it calmly like any other reasonably human being would do.

The reason is we had alot of issues with neighbours on both sides in the UK. One side partially or completely blocking in our car on the driveway. Their response was all we had to do was knock on their door and ask them to move their car. This happened up to three times a week! On the other side they had three cars. Two parked on their driveway and one on the road. It was parked so neighbour could drive either car off their driveway but made it difficult for me to reverse onto our own driveway. There was only one person who could drive living at the 3 car neighbours! Sometimes one of the 3 cars wouldn't be driven for 6 months to a year! Neither side cared and things went downhill! We were so glad to get away from there.
Old Jul 5th 2023, 7:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

it's only about 0.5 metres wide but probably 15 metres long where there's no fence.
Ask the neighbour to move his junk then when it has gone get three stakes and some galvanised wire and join the fence with 2 strands of wire to remove the gap.

If they are reluctant or tardy in removing the junk then move the junk on to their land and then join up the fence.
Old Jul 5th 2023, 7:09 am
BE Enthusiast

The reason is we had alot of issues with neighbours on both sides in the UK. One side partially or completely blocking in our car on the driveway. Their response was all we had to do was knock on their door and ask them to move their car. This happened up to three times a week! On the other side they had three cars. Two parked on their driveway and one on the road. It was parked so neighbour could drive either car off their driveway but made it difficult for me to reverse onto our own driveway. There was only one person who could drive living at the 3 car neighbours! Sometimes one of the 3 cars wouldn't be driven for 6 months to a year! Neither side cared and things went downhill! We were so glad to get away from there.
You're living in a different country with different people for neighbours.

Where I lived before I had neighbours who threatened aanyone who annoyed them with machetes. It doesn't follow that my neighbours here will do the same thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.