Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Garden Boundaries

Garden Boundaries

Old Aug 24th 2021, 7:16 am
  #16  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: May 2015
Location: Near the Black Forest and near Esztergom
Posts: 923
wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Garden Boundaries

That "right side" (I like to call it the wrong side) is the side where you usually have only small windows, at least 2 yards high so you can't look into the neighbour's garden/terrace.
At least that how it looks in Zala county where we lived and now in Komarom/Esztergom.
Often the gas meter is on this "wrong side" outside so obviously at least half a meter ground should belong to you.
It also happens that the front part of the house has this distance of half a meter but the back which used to be stables, chicken coops and agricultural space is built exactly on the "border".

PS:
This "wrong side" is usually the coldest side of the house where you find the toilet, bathroom (if it exists) - and the pantry so foodstuff doesn't get too hot.
During the heatwave right now there really was a significant difference in temperature.

Last edited by wolfi; Aug 24th 2021 at 7:35 am. Reason: Forgot
wolfi is offline  
Old Aug 24th 2021, 4:07 pm
  #17  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,782
FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Garden Boundaries

Originally Posted by enter
Out of interest is the "right side" looking at the house from the road or from your garden out to the street?
Road.
FenTiger is offline  
Old Aug 24th 2021, 5:26 pm
  #18  
BE Enthusiast
 
Sachina's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Location: Borsod-Abauj-Zemplen Hungary
Posts: 752
Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Garden Boundaries

Originally Posted by wolfi
That "right side" (I like to call it the wrong side) is the side where you usually have only small windows, at least 2 yards high so you can't look into the neighbour's garden/terrace.
At least that how it looks in Zala county where we lived and now in Komarom/Esztergom.
Often the gas meter is on this "wrong side" outside so obviously at least half a meter ground should belong to you.
It also happens that the front part of the house has this distance of half a meter but the back which used to be stables, chicken coops and agricultural space is built exactly on the "border".

PS:
This "wrong side" is usually the coldest side of the house where you find the toilet, bathroom (if it exists) - and the pantry so foodstuff doesn't get too hot.
During the heatwave right now there really was a significant difference in temperature.
By "right" I mean the right hand side of the property as you would see it from the road. It's not "right" as in "Right and Wrong" but right as in right and left.
Sachina is offline  
Old Aug 24th 2021, 5:50 pm
  #19  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,782
FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Garden Boundaries

The side wall you see in my photos is the "right" side and the coldest side. There's three small windows atleast two metres high for toilet, bathroom and kamra.
It looks to me like the previous owners "gifted" the 1 metre strip to the neighbours as they put up a fence on that side aligning it with the side of the house and not 1 metre away from the side of house. If it was moved it would be an expense for us. I can't see us gaining anything if we moved the fence except a falling out with the neighbours but to be fair they are using it to hide "junk" behind a bush. Still as it's ours it's our right to remove them regardless where the fence is.
FenTiger is offline  
Old Aug 24th 2021, 6:50 pm
  #20  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,782
FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Garden Boundaries



the bicycle is usually resting the other way with handlebars poking through the fence. I actually pushed it the other way about a month ago and did it again yesterday.
FenTiger is offline  
Old Aug 24th 2021, 7:56 pm
  #21  
Banned
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Hawley
Posts: 958
Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Garden Boundaries

I don't have a fence on the right side next to my house and my neighbour has some stuff along the 2 metre strip also including plants that they planted. I don't worry about it because I cannot take care of the rest of the garden myself so I don't get worked up about it. I cannot see any of it from the road and there is no fence on the boundary along that property line. I informed them that if I ever need to have a contractor working on that side they would have to move anything in the way and I would not be responsible for any of the plants damged by a contractor. I get on fine with the neighbour and I would rather keep it that way than fight over a 2 X 20 metre strip of garden I legally own but have no real use for most of the time. I know its the principle of the matter but better try and have a good neighbour if possible than making a possible bad neighbour. As they say "Welcome to Hungary" things are different than they are back home, we should not expect everything to be as it is back home.
Jack_Russells4ever is offline  
Old Aug 24th 2021, 9:17 pm
  #22  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,100
Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Garden Boundaries

Originally Posted by FenTiger
I can't see us gaining anything if we moved the fence except a falling out with the neighbours but to be fair they are using it to hide "junk" behind a bush. Still as it's ours it's our right to remove them regardless where the fence is.
First you would need to check in land office where the boundary actually is. There is no guarantee that the boundary is 1m out. You can't just remove their property, first you have to ask them to remove it, if there is no result then you write to them asking them to remove it within a certain time (say 2 weeks) and state that if they don't you will remove and dispose of it without liability.

Who trims the evergreen hedge? because without trimming it will fill the gap within a few years (it looks like it was trimmed last year)
Peter_in_Hungary is offline  
Old Aug 24th 2021, 9:23 pm
  #23  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,782
FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Garden Boundaries

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever
I don't have a fence on the right side next to my house and my neighbour has some stuff along the 2 metre strip also including plants that they planted. I don't worry about it because I cannot take care of the rest of the garden myself so I don't get worked up about it. I cannot see any of it from the road and there is no fence on the boundary along that property line. I informed them that if I ever need to have a contractor working on that side they would have to move anything in the way and I would not be responsible for any of the plants damged by a contractor. I get on fine with the neighbour and I would rather keep it that way than fight over a 2 X 20 metre strip of garden I legally own but have no real use for most of the time. I know its the principle of the matter but better try and have a good neighbour if possible than making a possible bad neighbour. As they say "Welcome to Hungary" things are different than they are back home, we should not expect everything to be as it is back home.
We went to the Kormanyablak in Emod, South of our village, today and as we turned into our road my wife noticed other neighbours had done the same, so I think we will just leave it but when we have contractors in to do maintenance we will say the same if they have to move anything. We plan to have the exterior wall painted next year and the three small windows replaced. The items will have to be moved otherwise the contractors won't be able to get close enough to do the job safely.
So thanks for your advice everyone.
There is 10cm insulation all around except for a metre from ground level. If it gets damaged then they will have to accept the costs of any repairs.
FenTiger is offline  
Old Aug 25th 2021, 1:04 am
  #24  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,100
Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Garden Boundaries

Originally Posted by FenTiger
There is 10cm insulation all around except for a metre from ground level. If it gets damaged then they will have to accept the costs of any repairs.
That is crazy ! Insulation should go all the way down to the ground and with benefit below ground as well. Even if your house floor is 1m above ground (as a lot of houses are in Hungary) without the insulation going down to the ground you will have a massive cold bridge where the insulation ends. You will see a lot of houses where the insulation ends at ground floor level - this is wrong and it should go down to the ground or even below ground. It stops at floor level because the contractors doing the work don't understand what they are doing and the owners are happy with the money saved (and they don't understand insulation either - but why should they?)
Peter_in_Hungary is offline  
Old Aug 25th 2021, 3:09 am
  #25  
BE Enthusiast
 
Sachina's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Location: Borsod-Abauj-Zemplen Hungary
Posts: 752
Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Garden Boundaries

Originally Posted by FenTiger


the bicycle is usually resting the other way with handlebars poking through the fence. I actually pushed it the other way about a month ago and did it again yesterday.
This is the gate to my metre of land which is on my next door neighbour's property. They're building a house and the site looks like a tip!



Sachina is offline  
Old Aug 25th 2021, 3:24 am
  #26  
BE Enthusiast
 
Sachina's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Location: Borsod-Abauj-Zemplen Hungary
Posts: 752
Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Garden Boundaries

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
That is crazy ! Insulation should go all the way down to the ground and with benefit below ground as well. Even if your house floor is 1m above ground (as a lot of houses are in Hungary) without the insulation going down to the ground you will have a massive cold bridge where the insulation ends. You will see a lot of houses where the insulation ends at ground floor level - this is wrong and it should go down to the ground or even below ground. It stops at floor level because the contractors doing the work don't understand what they are doing and the owners are happy with the money saved (and they don't understand insulation either - but why should they?)
I've seen dozens of houses being constructed, from mud huts with thatched roofs to 5 star hotel, but I've never seen one being built in such a peculiar way as they're building the house next door.! It must be costing the owners a fortune with bulldozers, diggers, ready mix cement lorries etc arriving at regular intervals A couple of photos to show the insulation which as you say only goes down to floor level.

One thing I don't understand is if they've put a sewage pipe under the ground floor before it was concreted over. Having looked there seems to be no signs of one. We don't have municipal sewage so like me they will have to have a holding tank which because of thelie of the land can only go next to the back wall of my house.





.

Sachina is offline  
Old Aug 25th 2021, 3:52 am
  #27  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,782
FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Garden Boundaries

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
That is crazy ! Insulation should go all the way down to the ground and with benefit below ground as well. Even if your house floor is 1m above ground (as a lot of houses are in Hungary) without the insulation going down to the ground you will have a massive cold bridge where the insulation ends. You will see a lot of houses where the insulation ends at ground floor level - this is wrong and it should go down to the ground or even below ground. It stops at floor level because the contractors doing the work don't understand what they are doing and the owners are happy with the money saved (and they don't understand insulation either - but why should they?)
I remember you mentioning about insulation going down to the ground so will add this to the works list.
Our house ground floor level is about 1.1m (might be 1.4m ... just an estimate) from garden level. The insulation starts at 0.5m upwards from garden level. Should it go lower? Blame the previous owners as this is how it is.
FenTiger is offline  
Old Aug 25th 2021, 3:54 am
  #28  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,782
FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Garden Boundaries

Originally Posted by Sachina
This is the gate to my metre of land which is on my next door neighbour's property. They're building a house and the site looks like a tip!



I wouldn't be happy with that but it's only wood but if it was bricks stacked against my wall I'd flip.
FenTiger is offline  
Old Aug 25th 2021, 3:59 am
  #29  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,782
FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Garden Boundaries

This photo is the other side ... note .. nothing except some small rose bushes just on the edge of the 1m strip.
We get a lot of glare from their wall into our lounge. Our fault as we didn't think about it when we viewed the house. Need some net curtains to camouflage it a bit. Pulling the shutters down makes our lounge darker. Our garden is south facing and photo was at 5:30pm.

FenTiger is offline  
Old Aug 25th 2021, 4:03 am
  #30  
BE Enthusiast
 
Sachina's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Location: Borsod-Abauj-Zemplen Hungary
Posts: 752
Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Garden Boundaries

Originally Posted by FenTiger
I wouldn't be happy with that but it's only wood but if it was bricks stacked against my wall I'd flip.
There were when they first started building, but the stacks of brick got used up to be replaced by wood. It doesn't worry me as it will all disappear eventually. They've got lots of old pieces of wood and boarding and I need some to make a new lid for my holding tank so I'm going to pinch some.

It's the ongoing noise from them talking loudly to each other and the sound of the various machines that gets me.
Sachina is offline  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.