Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Gap in neighbours new fence

Gap in neighbours new fence

Old Mar 10th 2023, 5:24 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Gap in neighbours new fence

Neighbours to one side decided to replace their fencing along our boundary. That side is their responsibility.
What looks like a one day job has taken four days so far. There is a 30cm gap where their old fence joined and aligned with boundary belonging to the property at the rear of our neighbours to one side. Very annoying because our GSD likes to spend alot of time outside so have to take her out on a lead or supervise her. They have left this like that for four days so far. Our GSD can get through it to the property at rear of our neighbours and garden. Even I can almost squeeze through it and walk around property at rear of garden if I wanted to.
I think the neighbours and/or fence installers have made a right mess of installing the new fence and leaving a gap which our dog can escape through. It beggars belief they would leave a gap like that and carry on tightening their fence system without a thought for us.
​​​​
How long should we give the neighbours to one side to fill in that gap?
Along two sides of our property are low concrete walls. One side is at rear of our garden. The low concrete wall goes right up to a post which is part of the property at rear of garden and the old fence of neighbours to one side joined up with that post. Now as mentioned above there's a 30cm gap.

The new fencing looks very nice. It's one of those that you install a metal post at fixed lengths and bolt on metal wire panels with wooden planks along the ground. They are slotted in to each post at the bottom.

Last edited by FenTiger; Mar 10th 2023 at 6:05 am.
Old Mar 10th 2023, 8:02 am
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gap in neighbours new fence

Sounds like you may have to temporarily block the gap until the finish the project. Sounds like a survey may be in order to make sure the boundary is correct.
Old Mar 10th 2023, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever
Sounds like you may have to temporarily block the gap until the finish the project. Sounds like a survey may be in order to make sure the boundary is correct.
they told my wife the gap is not their responsibility but the owners of property at the rear of both our gardens.

As mentioned there was a fence there before. They told us they are replacing old fence but nothing about the gap. That in my opinion is not very neighbourly. My wife is always pleasant to them.

No idea what we have done to upset them.

Will talk to our local friends and see what they say. If I have to contact a solicitor I will do so.
Old Mar 10th 2023, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Most days this week the fence installers only worked half a day so today is Day 5. No one is on the garden finishing or tidying up.

There was some sort of black material stapled to wooden planks along the ground. They have left this not only on our side but also along the boundary for neighbours property at rear of our garden on their side.
Old Mar 10th 2023, 11:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

This is why shared fences never make sense. Better to have your own and avoid discussions who's responsible for a hole and once a solicitor is involved forget the harmony.
If it's just a small hole, create a small barrier or talk politely that you are sorry the dog keeps coming over, maybe they might fix themselves.
Old Mar 10th 2023, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Moses2013
This is why shared fences never make sense. Better to have your own and avoid discussions who's responsible for a hole and once a solicitor is involved forget the harmony.
If it's just a small hole, create a small barrier or talk politely that you are sorry the dog keeps coming over, maybe they might fix themselves.
We have not lost any of our plot although neighbours to one side have lost a bit. To be honest hardly any real gain by the property at rear of their garden.

As mentioned above there's a low concrete wall all along the border of our garden with property belonging at rear of our garden. I have just noticed their garden is slightly higher which probably explains the low concrete wall. So as far as I am concerned that is where the boundary is between my property and that of the property at rear of garden.

I will probably get in a land surveyor to ensure if a problem arises in the future the evidence is in our hands so should we need to take legal action we could act fast.
Old Mar 10th 2023, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

I have an empty plot next to me and when I first moved in I didn't know who the owners were. Having two young dogs it was of the utmost importance to have a secure garden where I could safely leave them. Even though the fence along the side of the vacant plot wasn't my responsibilty I paid to have it done, because I'd never have forgiven myself if anything had happened to my dogs.

In your case as it's only a small gap it hardly seems worth making a big to do about it, especially as your dog(s) can escape through it and get up to all kinds of trouble. Better to close the gap and have done with it.

Last edited by Sachina; Mar 10th 2023 at 2:48 pm.
Old Mar 10th 2023, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sachina
I have an empty plot next to me and when I first moved in I didn't know who the owners were. Having two young dogs it was of the utmost importance to have a secure garden where I could safely leave them. Even though the fence along the side of the vacant plot wasn't my responsibilty I paid to have it done, because I'd never have forgiven myself if anything had happened to my dogs.

In your case as it's only a small gap it hardly seems worth making a big to do about it, especially as your dog(s) can escape through it and get up to all kinds of trouble. Better to close the gap and have done with it.
I'm going to give them this weekend to sort it out. Neighbours next to us said they don't talk to the neighbours at rear of their property.

A local friend of mine popped round this afternoon. I got a clearer idea now. But I suspect our neighbours next door not happy to move fence at rear of their garden because half our rear garden has a boundary with a concrete very low wall. The garden of property at rear of ours seems slightly higher than ours which is what the wall was built for, basically to separate our two properties. As far as I'm concerned that's the boundary marker. Our neighbours next door do not have a very low wall at rear of their property. Our boundary is clear but not neighbours next door. I suspect on the part of the property owners at rear of our garden it's a bit of a land grab from neighbours next door. There's no way I'd give them any of our plot.

It's just the gap needs filling. Will wait until Monday.